Notifications
Clear all

Resistance To Doxycycline And Minocycline - Will It Work Again?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/18/2014 1:11 am

Guys,

Had a question. I was on Doxycycline (200mg) for 6 months before I became resistant to it. I switched to Minocycline (100mg) and have been on it for 9 months but I became resistant to that as well.

My question is - if i go back to doxycycline, say in about 3 months, will it work again for me? I read somewhere if you take a break for 1 year from the antibiotic you are resistant to, it will work for you again.

Let me know!!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/18/2014 10:50 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/18/2014 8:03 pm

Bumppp

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/19/2014 11:53 pm

Guys...

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 06/23/2014 7:30 pm

bumpp

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/05/2014 9:39 pm

Can ANYONE please answer this

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 07/08/2014 4:36 am

Yeah I will answer your question.once you become resistant to an antibiotic it definitely will not work again even several years later.do not believe the nonsense that some doctors spew about them working again later on.i have been all thru that as well as many others.researchers for years now at universities like Quinnipiac have been studying possible methods to eradicate antibiotic resistance to no avail. However I can tell you an adjunct treatment that will allow you to retake a previous one for a week to 2 week basis in rotation with another antibiotic yiu already gad become resistant to.the only way I know this will wirk is if u religiously do ipl laser treatments once a month to your entire face. This allows your used antibiotics before to work only for short stints against acne.i did this for awhile with success. but u still have well over a dozen or so antibiotics left that cover acne u havent used it seems.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/08/2014 9:07 am

i dont think doxy will work again for you but you could try keflex that worked for me after i became resistant to everything else.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/09/2014 12:36 am

Yeah I will answer your question.once you become resistant to an antibiotic it definitely will not work again even several years later.do not believe the nonsense that some doctors spew about them working again later on.i have been all thru that as well as many others.researchers for years now at universities like Quinnipiac have been studying possible methods to eradicate antibiotic resistance to no avail. However I can tell you an adjunct treatment that will allow you to retake a previous one for a week to 2 week basis in rotation with another antibiotic yiu already gad become resistant to.the only way I know this will wirk is if u religiously do ipl laser treatments once a month to your entire face. This allows your used antibiotics before to work only for short stints against acne.i did this for awhile with success. but u still have well over a dozen or so antibiotics left that cover acne u havent used it seems.

Damn those ipl treatments are expensive! Since I have not become resistant to antibiotics yet, do you think trying something like Bactrim will be as effective as minocycline or doxycyline? Both those antibiotics cleared me up in a week for months! Just wondering if ill get the same results from other ones.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/09/2014 8:50 am

you could try bactrim - just be on alert that a lot of people are allergic to sulfa drugs so you wont know until you try it if you are allergic. keflex worked for me the best out of any antibiotic i ever tried it cleared up my really bad cystic acne in 5 days and i took it for almost a year before i weaned off of it.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/09/2014 10:00 am

you could try bactrim - just be on alert that a lot of people are allergic to sulfa drugs so you wont know until you try it if you are allergic. keflex worked for me the best out of any antibiotic i ever tried it cleared up my really bad cystic acne in 5 days and i took it for almost a year before i weaned off of it.

Did u ever take minocycline or doxycycline? How long did it take you to get resistant to them? I just don't want to get resistant to keflex since I read it is used to treat respiratory infections too. Did u breakout once you weaned off it?

I've been trying to wean off mino 100mg. Think I'm already resistant to it but scared to go cold turkey. What do you think? Should I continue weaning off or just stop it.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/09/2014 10:29 am

yes i did take them both. i took mino at least twice before i became resistant and doxy i was on and off for 2 years before it happened. no i did not breakout once off keflex but i am on spiro as well and use aha daily to keep my pores clear. i was also on amoxicillin, bactrim (2 weeks before i developed an allergy), zithromax and erythromycin in the past as well.

i would slowly wean off the mino when i did it with keflex i dropped down to 1 pill a day for a few weeks then 1 pill every other day for a week then 1 pill every 3 days for a week then that was it.

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 07/10/2014 5:24 am

bactrim will work for u but I wouldnt choose it do to its having the worst side effects compared to other antibiotics.cephalexin (keflex ) should work great too. I wouldnt be concerned about not having an antibiotic for respiratory conditions.there are a good dozen alone of cephalosporin s that cover it. thats just in the 1st 2nd 3rd generation cephalosporins alone. Not including the big guns 4th generation never used for acne obviously.i had annoying side effects with keflex fatigue stomach issues etc.. duricef was great 2 500 mg a day.others that will work for you are ceftin omnicef spectracef ceclor vantin cedax velosef good luck let everyone know how u make out.

MemberMember
(@real-acnekillerz)

Posted : 07/10/2014 6:15 am

-Mod Edit.

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/11/2014 3:38 pm

Minocycline worked very well for about 4 months before I started getting a cystic breakout here and there. I became completely resistant to mino at 6-7 months and I pretty much became hopeless because ALL other treatments failed for me including Accutane.

When I combined tazorac, low strength glycolic acid (switching every night) and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, I was completely clear within 2 and a half months. I had more severe acne than most others on here .

To answer your question like others on here, NO it will not help your acne once you've become resistant. Antibiotics in general are not a reliable way to control acne, unfortunately. They are over prescribed and don't do anything in the long run for acne if you're one of the unlucky ones with moderate-severe acne.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/17/2014 9:34 am

yes i did take them both. i took mino at least twice before i became resistant and doxy i was on and off for 2 years before it happened. no i did not breakout once off keflex but i am on spiro as well and use aha daily to keep my pores clear. i was also on amoxicillin, bactrim (2 weeks before i developed an allergy), zithromax and erythromycin in the past as well.

i would slowly wean off the mino when i did it with keflex i dropped down to 1 pill a day for a few weeks then 1 pill every other day for a week then 1 pill every 3 days for a week then that was it.

Thanks for your response! Just bad another question. Which antibiotic should I try after doxy and mino? I don't want to go for the strongest one (which seems keflex) because I'll probably get resistant to it and not sure if other antibiotics will work later. Or does it not work like that? Just curious.. I'm not sure of tetracycline will work for me since its the weakest out of the cycline family. I haven't ever tried it before but not sure if it'll work after doxy and mino..

bactrim will work for u but I wouldnt choose it do to its having the worst side effects compared to other antibiotics.cephalexin (keflex ) should work great too. I wouldnt be concerned about not having an antibiotic for respiratory conditions.there are a good dozen alone of cephalosporin s that cover it. thats just in the 1st 2nd 3rd generation cephalosporins alone. Not including the big guns 4th generation never used for acne obviously.i had annoying side effects with keflex fatigue stomach issues etc.. duricef was great 2 500 mg a day.others that will work for you are ceftin omnicef spectracef ceclor vantin cedax velosef good luck let everyone know how u make out.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/17/2014 9:40 am

i dont think any other antibiotic will work for you if you cant try bactrim then i would go for keflex. i know its like a stronger one but at this point i dont think anything else will work. if you do take it and get clear then that is the time to find something that will permanently help clear your acne. are you female? if so why not try spiro. also what is your regimen like? you need to have a good regimen so that once you get off the antibiotics you dont start breaking out again.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/17/2014 10:09 am

i dont think any other antibiotic will work for you if you cant try bactrim then i would go for keflex. i know its like a stronger one but at this point i dont think anything else will work. if you do take it and get clear then that is the time to find something that will permanently help clear your acne. are you female? if so why not try spiro. also what is your regimen like? you need to have a good regimen so that once you get off the antibiotics you dont start breaking out again.

I'm trying to wean myself off minocycline.. I thought I had become resistant to it since sugar was breaking me out again. But now that I'm weaning off it, I'm breaking out frequently over the past 2 weeks. Don't get it.. I was getting like 3-4 pustules around my mouth 6months into mino and now I get 5-6 pustules/whiteheads 10months in. I try to follow a low GI diet. No spicy food or sugar as that breaks Me out. I think this is the main reason my acne is under control because when I became resistant to doxy last year I had no idea about diet and stuff and my mouth was full of whiteheads like 20 inflamed ones. I suspect I have some type of perioral/sebb dermatitis combined with follicuitus. Diet helps a bunch though.

I'm a male so Spiro is not n option. My forehead and cheeks are clear its just my damn mouth and crease of nose. I've been on 100mg mino for 10 months now. Was clear for first 6 months. Didn't up my dosage since I wanted to try an alternative cure.

But I'm slowly starting to lose hope with that and am scared that I'll get one of those massive breakouts when I'm completely off mino.

I want to try bactrim but I don't know how I'll react to it.

How long did it taken for u to get resistant to mino? Did u ever get resistant to keflex? Sorry if my questions are stupid lol. Thanks a lot for your replies they keep me sane

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/17/2014 10:25 am

i took mino twice so the second time i became resistant and after a year on keflex i never became resistant. i would make sure you use a good AHA daily to help keep those pores clear and have you tried the regimen? it probably will work decently for you and that with the AHA (they sell it on this site) should help keep you pretty clear.

no worries at all regarding the questions i totally get it ;)

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/17/2014 1:35 pm

I have not tried the regimen. In fact I believe it is the bp that caused my mouth to become so sensitive as i used 10percent when I was 16 and wouldn't moisturise. That's what has damaged my skin in my opinion and gave me this dermatitis thing so I am scared of trying the regimen because it has bp which is known to exacerbate this type of issue. Tbh I don't know how people figure out if their pores are clogged or not.

I came across someone's profile who almost had the same acne as me but after using epiduo he cleared up by like 90percent. His acne was actually twice as bad as mine, just pustules/whiteheads focused around sides of chin around the mouth, under nostrils, crease of nose, around lips and looked inflamed. Just not sure if using these topical products will aggravate it more or clear it up. Epiduo has bp too so I'm confused if it'll make my skin worse or better.

I think I'll try bactrim if nothing works out and if I'm allergic to it then I'll move to keflex. Do u know the dosage I should take on both?

Once I'm off mino, I'll try drinking apple cider vinegar and applying it topically to see if it helps and get good quality probiotics

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/18/2014 2:07 am

On 7/17/2014 at 9:25 PM, tracy521 said:

i took mino twice so the second time i became resistant and after a year on keflex i never became resistant. i would make sure you use a good AHA daily to help keep those pores clear and have you tried the regimen? it probably will work decently for you and that with the AHA (they sell it on this site) should help keep you pretty clear.

no worries at all regarding the questions i totally get it

I have not tried the regimen. In fact I believe it is the bp that caused my mouth to become so sensitive as i used 10percent when I was 16 and wouldn't moisturise. That's what has damaged my skin in my opinion and gave me this dermatitis thing so I am scared of trying the regimen because it has bp which is known to exacerbate this type of issue. Tbh I don't know how people figure out if their pores are clogged or not.

I came across someone's profile who almost had the same acne as me but after using epiduo he cleared up by like 90percent. His acne was actually twice as bad as mine, just pustules/whiteheads focused around sides of chin around the mouth, under nostrils, crease of nose, around lips and looked inflamed. Just not sure if using these topical products will aggravate it more or clear it up. Epiduo has bp too so I'm confused if it'll make my skin worse or better.

I think I'll try bactrim if nothing works out and if I'm allergic to it then I'll move to keflex. Do u know the dosage I should take on both?

Once I'm off mino, I'll try drinking apple cider vinegar and applying it topically to see if it helps and get good quality probiotics

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/18/2014 8:44 am

yeah i can see if you are worried due to the dermatitis thing. i had that last year and it was awful i had to use nizoral to get rid of it and couldnt put anything else on my face for a few months. are you seeing a derm for the dermatitis? you need to get rid of that and then you can start to use other products like retin-a or some type of AHA or even the epiduo but if you think bp caused the dermatitis i would steer clear of it in the future. the reaction you have next time could be worse.

yeah try the bactrim and see how it goes but you might have to fight with the derm to get it because they dont like people jumping from antibiotic to antibiotic ya know? i am not sure of dosing on the bactrim but i am pretty sure you would take it twice a day. with the keflex i took it twice a day at 500mg each time. yeah for sure i would definitely take the probiotics you can do them while on antibiotics as well you just have to space them out like 4 hours after you take your antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@ramon2019)

Posted : 03/15/2019 9:24 pm

On 6/18/2014 at 1:11 AM, silverlight22 said:

Guys,

Had a question. I was on Doxycycline (200mg) for 6 months before I became resistant to it. I switched to Minocycline (100mg) and have been on it for 9 months but I became resistant to that as well.

My question is - if i go back to doxycycline, say in about 3 months, will it work again for me? I read somewhere if you take a break for 1 year from the antibiotic you are resistant to, it will work for you again.

Let me know!!

Hello there, i was suddenly looking into cases similar to mines and i found this. Let me tell you that it is true that if you stop taking doxycycline for a while and take it again it will work again. At least it worked for me. I had been on doxycycline for about 7 months but then i became resistant to it. I stopped taking it andi took minocycline for 2 months but didint see any improvements so i went back to doxycycline. This time my face cleared up in an amazing way, my face had never been so clear , all i was left wit was a few scars. It had been working fine until now , its been 7 months again and my face is breaking out bad. Im afraid to stop taking it because im in my senior year and i really dont want to finish my year like this. Im going to stop the medication for a week and hope that when i take it again it work at least for another month .