Notifications
Clear all

Uk Accutane Procedure

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/17/2014 3:18 pm

I have FINALLY been referred to a dermatologist after about 2 1/4 years of trying four antibiotics and 3 topical treatments. These treatments failed and I still have persistent (but not severe) acne at age 25 and a half. My appointment with the derm is next weekend. I have a few questions!

About 3 months ago I went to the doctors and he told me he would NOT refer me to a dermatologist. I threatened to take accutane without a prescription if I was not referred to a derm (I really was/am fed up). He saw I was serious. To make things quicker he took a blood sample from me and sent this to the derm (presumably so they would not have to waste time testing my blood and make me wait for the medicine). My question is, given this, will I get the prescription on the day of my appointment? Or will they test my blood again (as it has been just over 3 months) and tell me to come back later? I am eager to start taking the drug as soon as possible.

Please tell me bout your experience on the NHS!!

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:05 pm

you get a referral from your GP - you do blood tests for liver function and fat lipids levels (this test remains on file electronically, nothing physically gets sent to the derm)- you go to the appointment with the Derm (can take 3 months to actually see one) they assess you and inform you about the drug, and then you pick up your prescription then and there on that day you see the derm.

any good?

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:07 pm

you get a referral from your GP - you do blood tests - you go to the appointment with the Derm (can take 3 months to actually see one) they assess you and inform you about the drug, and then you pick up your prescription then and there on that day you see the derm.

any good?

Sounds good, but if they are testing my blood again won't I need to fast (not eat for 12 hours) before going in? This is not mentioned on the letter I got.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:08 pm

sorry who is doing your blood again? why again?

you are not supposed to eat past 9pm the night before or eat anything in the morning prior to the blood test

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:18 pm

sorry who is doing your blood again? why again?

you are not supposed to eat past 9pm the night before or eat anything in the morning prior to the blood test

3 months ago my GP took my blood and sent it to the derm (and I finally see derm next weekend). He did this to speed up the process, so the derm can see my blood BEFORE my appointment next weekend. I was worried they may have to test my blood a second time because it has been about 13 weeks since the first test.

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:22 pm

Well I've been waiting 3 months for my appointment and it's in 22 days, from what I've read online, you'll have to do another blood test before they would be willing to prescribe you accutane. (Which I'll ask if I can start straight away on a low 20mg dosage while waiting for my blood results).

But idk, there's no guarantee they'll actually prescribe you accutane, you just have to convince them.

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:50 pm

Well I've been waiting 3 months for my appointment and it's in 22 days, from what I've read online, you'll have to do another blood test before they would be willing to prescribe you accutane. (Which I'll ask if I can start straight away on a low 20mg dosage while waiting for my blood results).

But idk, there's no guarantee they'll actually prescribe you accutane, you just have to convince them.

I will tell them I am taking it either way, I am willing to buy it off prescription (illegally). I am serious, I am sick of failed medications and I know only one drug has an extremely high success rate. Obviously I want to take it on the NHS as it will be cheaper and safer.

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 06/17/2014 4:59 pm

I will tell them I am taking it either way, I am willing to buy it off prescription (illegally). I am serious, I am sick of failed medications and I know only one drug has an extremely high success rate. Obviously I want to take it on the NHS as it will be cheaper and safer.

Yeah haha that's my plan too, try to blackmail them into giving a prescription if they don't. I can't see why they wouldn't though, in the UK it's a long process and I've tried 4 oral antibiotics, duac/topical and all the stuff you can buy over the counter. Just make sure that you stress that you want a long term solution and not a quick fix which you normally find with all this other medicine. Whatever you do, don't say it makes you depressed though because you probably know that depression is suppose to be a side effect to accutane and they take that shit seriously. (Personally I don't believe it's true because people are already depressed). Mention that you've done a lot of research into accutane and fully understand the side effects and risks involved with taking the medication.

I think the problem is I'm so paranoid that they won't prescribe me the medication, I'll probably walk in and they'll be like.. yeah it's fine to take accutane.

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/17/2014 5:05 pm

Yeah haha that's my plan too, try to blackmail them into giving a prescription if they don't. I can't see why they wouldn't though, in the UK it's a long process and I've tried 4 oral antibiotics, duac/topical and all the stuff you can buy over the counter. Just make sure that you stress that you want a long term solution and not a quick fix which you normally find with all this other medicine. Whatever you do, don't say it makes you depressed though because you probably know that depression is suppose to be a side effect to accutane and they take that shit seriously. (Personally I don't believe it's true because people are already depressed). Mention that you've done a lot of research into accutane and fully understand the side effects and risks involved with taking the medication.

I think the problem is I'm so paranoid that they won't prescribe me the medication, I'll probably walk in and they'll be like.. yeah it's fine to take accutane.

I have tried FOUR antibiotics (just wrote up my list for the derm) and FOUR topicals. None worked at all. Also gave up dairy and gluten for a YEAR (also didn't work).

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 06/17/2014 5:08 pm

I have tried FOUR antibiotics (just wrote up my list for the derm) and FOUR topicals. None worked at all. Also gave up dairy and gluten for a YEAR (also didn't work).

Yeah it's pretty frustrating. I only want to take accutane, so I'll lie and say that I took doxcycline for 3 months when in reality I only took in for 2 weeks.

If your acne has ever been worse, make sure you take pictures with you as proof.

MemberMember
(@mrwarden88)

Posted : 06/17/2014 5:19 pm

Yeah it's pretty frustrating. I only want to take accutane, so I'll lie and say that I took doxcycline for 3 months when in reality I only took in for 2 weeks.

If your acne has ever been worse, make sure you take pictures with you as proof.

Very frustrating indeed, I am 5 years years older than you and still no improvement!

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 06/19/2014 2:57 pm

I wouldnt worry, derms are more willing to prescribe it these days, they have lots of data on this drug now and it has a good success rate