Notifications
Clear all

Absorica 30Mg Enough?

MemberMember
(@leicafille)

Posted : 06/16/2014 1:28 pm

I weigh 43.5kg. I was supposed to start off with 40mg/day for 6 months. However, the derm changed his mind last minute and prescribed 30mg/day since I am "small." Will I relapse after this 6 month course of 30mg/day? Is this considered a low dose for me? How long would I have to be on 30mg/day to ensure the acne does not return? Thanks in advance.

PS. It's been a week since starting 30mg/day of Absorica and I'm already experiencing side effects like dryness, redness, and back pain.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 06/16/2014 7:05 pm

There is no scientific evidence that correlates daily dose with relapse. Anyone who tells you different has not done their research, and is just assuming that more is better because people tend to do that.

One stat that does correlate with relapse (in terms of dose) is cumulative dose. You should reach a cumulative dose of between 120 and 150 mg/kg.

To find out if you will, just take your dose (30 mg), and multiply it by the days you will take it (say 6 months - 180 days), and then divide by weight (43.4 k). This would put you at a cumulative dose of just over 120.

So - in short - you will have to take this med for at least 6 months at your current dose to complete what is considered a full course, and reduce your risk of dose related relapse. However, relapse happens to people sometimes whatever dose they take, there is no guarantee. Age, gender, and severity of acne play the largest role here.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@leicafille)

Posted : 06/21/2014 9:46 pm

There is no scientific evidence that correlates daily dose with relapse. Anyone who tells you different has not done their research, and is just assuming that more is better because people tend to do that.

One stat that does correlate with relapse (in terms of dose) is cumulative dose. You should reach a cumulative dose of between 120 and 150 mg/kg.

To find out if you will, just take your dose (30 mg), and multiply it by the days you will take it (say 6 months - 180 days), and then divide by weight (43.4 k). This would put you at a cumulative dose of just over 120.

So - in short - you will have to take this med for at least 6 months at your current dose to complete what is considered a full course, and reduce your risk of dose related relapse. However, relapse happens to people sometimes whatever dose they take, there is no guarantee. Age, gender, and severity of acne play the largest role here.

Best of luck.

Thank you.