Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clogged Pores After Accutane. I'm Worried. Please Help :(

Hi,

I've been on accutane for 4 months (30mg/day, I weigh 55 kg) and I quit on the 1st of may. I just noticed clogged pores on my right cheek (only the right one for some reason). I don't really know if are new or just never left but I'm scared now that my acne may come back and that it all has been for nothing. Any advice? Will they start infecting? Is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

Bye.

EDIT: Could shaving have to do anything with it? I shaved yesterday and my skin is always irritated after shaving,...

Edited by Guest

Shaving could have something to do with it- maybe. If you want to find out skip shaving for a couple of days.

Or make sure you are shaving correctly in the first place. My brother does it after the shower because the warmth or the shower preps the skin and makes sure there is no ingrown hairs. Also lightly exfoliating can prep the skin of those darn ingrowns before shaving (But my brothers dont use exfolants- but it is an option) At the sink- closely examine your facial hair. You may notice some grow downwards, upwards, sideways etc. Its important you shave with the grain of your hair - so if your hair grows this way //////// shave ---> that way with the razor - or if your hair grows \\\\\\\\\\\\ this way, shave <-------.

Sometimes on the neck area your hair will grow in weird directions (like up and sideways) and its important to shave with the grain of your hair- even though it might feel weird to be shaving in odd directions. (also dont forget shaving cream)- maybe get one for sensitive skin (gillette series shaving gel for sensitive skin or edge shave gel sensitive skin)

Good luck-

Idk why i know all this.... im a women. baha but when you grow up with only brothers you just know stuff... :)

Why did you have such a short course? Also, make sure nothing in your shaving cream could be clogging your pores. Here's a good list of pore cloggers:

http://www.sageskincare.com/Articles.asp?ID=255

I have no idea why my course was so short... the dermatologist always said 4 months, i only recently discovered that most people need 6 months.

I use an electric shaver, clean the razors before shaving and hop straight in the shower after so i doubt that anything clogged my pores.

It is not true that 'most people need six months'. Most people need to reach a cumulative dose of between 120 and 150 mg/kg. This can be accomplished in 4 months at a high daily dose, or 6 at a lower daily dose. Whether a longer, lower dose course or a shorter higher dose one is used usually depends on how the doctor prefers to prescribe, and how high a daily dose the person can tolerate.

If you are concerned your course was not adequate you should calculate your cumulative dose. There are lots of handy calculators on line and on here for that. Otherwise there is no reason to assume you course was not complete.

Why did you have such a short course? Also, make sure nothing in your shaving cream could be clogging your pores. Here's a good list of pore cloggers:

I have no idea why my course was so short... the dermatologist always said 4 months, i only recently discovered that most people need 6 months.

I use an electric shaver, clean the razors before shaving and hop straight in the shower after so i doubt that anything clogged my pores.

But do you use a shaving cream? Even if you immediately wash it off it can still be clogging you.

But do you use a shaving cream? Even if you immediately wash it off it can still be clogging you.

Nope.

It is not true that 'most people need six months'. Most people need to reach a cumulative dose of between 120 and 150 mg/kg. This can be accomplished in 4 months at a high daily dose, or 6 at a lower daily dose. Whether a longer, lower dose course or a shorter higher dose one is used usually depends on how the doctor prefers to prescribe, and how high a daily dose the person can tolerate.

If you are concerned your course was not adequate you should calculate your cumulative dose. There are lots of handy calculators on line and on here for that. Otherwise there is no reason to assume you course was not complete.

I'm pretty sure that my course wasn't complete 55 kg x 120 mg/kg = 6600 mg needed, in total I took about 3600 mg, I feel like an idiot now. I still wonder if my dermatologist actually knows this... I'm already mentally preparing for round 2, with a different dermatologist.

Edited by Guest

Where are these calculators? I am 150 lbs and Month 1 was on 40 mg and Month 2 will be 80 mg.

Where are these calculators? I am 150 lbs and Month 1 was on 40 mg and Month 2 will be 80 mg.

I just did the math myself, for you it would be like this:

150 lb = 68 kg,

68 kg * 120 mg/kg = 8160 mg needed

40 mg * 30 days + 80 mg * 30 days = 3600 mg taken