Notifications
Clear all

Is It Safe To Assume That The Best Scar Treatment Is Acceptance?

MemberMember
(@kayjaym)

Posted : 06/11/2014 3:16 am

I suffer from acne scars. I think my darker complexion hides them better compared to people with lighter skin....but this is just based on people telling me they dont think my scars are as bad as other peoples. Im not sure if they are being honest or just trying to be thoughtful when Im feeling self conscious. Ive got quite a bunch of indented scars, and a little hyperpigmentation too. However, in the case of the hyperpigmentation, my skin has healed up well, and my skin tone definitely does hide that well. Also, let me say that is bugs me a lot that my brother had acne as a teen and picked it far from than I ever did, yet he definitely does not have the amount of scars I do. Totally unfair.

Anyways, for years Ive read threads on this forum and read info all over the web about scar techniques. I was wondering if scar treatment veterans could chime in. Based on all Ive read, almost all treatments give you minor results at best...and the ones that work the best usually involve seeing a professional and parting with lots of money. Ive also gathered from all my reading, that certain treatments run the risk of damaging the skin more.

Which brings me to this....is acceptance the best treatment? Im guessing its the best route. Though sometimes its SO hard to be confident in myself and find myself attractive. Despite being a nice person, with a fun personality, staying in good shape, and dressing well...I a lot of times feel like my face has held me back...and that Id be a lot cuter with better skin. A lot of times I feel my dating life and confidence would be so much different if I had taken care of my skin better in my younger years.

Anyways please chime in.

MemberMember
(@hopeisall)

Posted : 06/11/2014 4:03 am

If you can accept, then it's the best treatment.

At this moment, how my life has been it seems impossible. I feel like I have lost a large amount of my personality and life quality, years.

I can let go after I have tried Recell and in the meantime try to deal with it the best I can. Live as full as I can.

My goal isn't perfection, I just want to look myself in the mirror in full light and be oke with it. The large amount of small scars and moderate scars actually bother me more then the few deep ones. -I don't really care about the scars on my body.-

I hope with sport, healthy life, nice clothing and Recell that I'll get to a point that I can accept it.

RIght now acceptance feels like throwing away everything I wanted to be, my happiness. Without giving it a try.

I do believe that there are a lot of people who are obsessed with there skin and everything that stresses them out, they focus on their skin.

Have seen pictures of people with next to no scarring. I have also seen people with far worse skin then me.

I don't know you just asked me the hardest question. I would be better in accepting if my life had turned out different.

Acceptance or letting go is the biggest problem for people with any disease or condition. Maybe accepting for me is making the best out of it.

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 06/13/2014 5:25 am

I got most of my scarring in my Mid- teens, By 23 I finally stop breaking out. I accepted my scarring for most of my 20's & 30's and spent $0 dollars on scarring treatments for 23+ years & feared Laser treatments at that time, But now as I'm getting older(i'm 40 now) the past couple of years have been really hard for me as once you get older the scars start to get worst as I age. I think this goes for most people once you reach your 40's or 50's as the collagen production on our facial skin isn't the same when you're much younger in having tighter healthier skin as a young person. What once was mild scars on some of them have begun to be more visible now from what I see. One of my cheeks my skin collapse on me creating a deep huge scar hole(I didn;t have that huge hole that tethered down for most of my 20's).

Maybe if I was in a relationship I wouldn't feel as bad & could accept it somewhat as I know someone cares for me, But being 40 years old & feeling more insecure with myself(and Alone) as I've gotten older(been single most of my life)(yes this has Definitely held me down a lot on seeking relationships) I now have been trying to treat my scars. yes I do get depressed sometimes especially when I look in the mirror. I sometimes say to myself if I could only change back time, But I can't. Can I accept this now? I probably be lying if i ever said yes, So don't think I'll ever accept this. I know their is nothing 100% out there to cure us, and like you I have two Sisters younger than myself in their mid 30's now who have perfectly clear skin same goes for my Parents. I'm the only one in my family as far as I know that has Acne Scars for the rest of my life. This has also created a lot of shyness going back since Junior high School & looking down a lot too that I don't think I'll ever find someone out there to be my Wife or have Children with. Sad, But true.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 06/13/2014 2:51 pm

nothing is impossible , treating acne scars are 100% possible only thing standing in everyone way is money

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 06/13/2014 8:17 pm

yup ^^, or being a wuss, haha!

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 06/13/2014 8:45 pm

in todays generation , all you need is money , time and yeh ^ not being a wuss but thats pretty easy if you want nice skin you have to take it like a man

literally money is power sucks it has to be that way lol

MemberMember
(@roseoralilly)

Posted : 06/13/2014 9:58 pm

I don't think it is ever a good idea to strive for "perfection". There will always be something about yourself that bothers you. That's just life.

That being said, I don't intend to accept something that can be improved.

And from what I had read, treating acne scars is a journey that will probably take years, and a few different treatments.

I think it is more important to be consistent and determined while not letting it stop you from living your life. That's often the hardest part.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/13/2014 10:46 pm

Acceptance is hard to arrive at though when society keeps reminding you that your skin is bad.

The one thing you realize after investing huge amounts of money, time, and emotional energy into treating scars is that there is no perfect solution. Scarred skin, especially severely scarred skin, can never truly look normal again. It is not realistic to strive for perfection, only for improvement. You really have to know when to take a step back, because if you become too obsessed you will more than likely make a rash decision and damage yourself further. I've been there.

That said, acne scars CAN be improved. BUT it requires significant resources.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 06/14/2014 8:09 am

or just a dermaroller, leds, tca peels and retin a. LOL (me anyways) i'm making a blog with pictures today on acne.org

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 06/14/2014 9:35 am

KayJayM, as one who has done more serious treatments than most, I am not into acceptance. I have 100% more confidence than I had in 2008, and I can't put a price tag on that. People will think nothing of laying down 40k for a frigging pickup truck, but won't spend 5k on what they really need. I was losing hair so I went out and got a great hair transplant. Just this morning I was laying the groundwork for plastic surgery to fight the effects of aging. I was cursed with acne, but I was blessed with a good mind and body. Here I go quoting Hamlet AGAIN!

"To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them?"

MemberMember
(@acnepwns)

Posted : 06/14/2014 2:30 pm

nothing is impossible , treating acne scars are 100% possible only thing standing in everyone way is money

It's not 100% possible. But I believe greater than 50%

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 06/14/2014 2:51 pm

It's not 100% possible. But I believe greater than 50%

when i say 100% im not saying its gonna bring your skin to where it was before and completely normal but really close enough is possible when you have millions , there are amazing doctors who probably could do it if youre rich no brainer not saying u need millions but yeah lol

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/14/2014 11:29 pm

Well if there were secret, amazing techniques that require unlimited amounts of money, Brad Pitt, Danny Trejo, Lawrence Fishburn, and Chris Pines would have flawless skin. But they don't. I was looking at old pics of Brad Pitt from back in the 90s and he had quite prominent scars. If you look at him now, his skin is looking pretty damn good so he obviously has done a lot to improve it. Chris Pines has very obvious scars in Star Trek, and it looks like he's done some procedures to improve it as well.

So the message is that it is clearly possible, but perfection is not realistic with current technology. That may change in a decade with bioengineering.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 06/15/2014 9:36 am

Well if there were secret, amazing techniques that require unlimited amounts of money, Brad Pitt, Danny Trejo, Lawrence Fishburn, and Chris Pines would have flawless skin. But they don't. I was looking at old pics of Brad Pitt from back in the 90s and he had quite prominent scars. If you look at him now, his skin is looking pretty damn good so he obviously has done a lot to improve it. Chris Pines has very obvious scars in Star Trek, and it looks like he's done some procedures to improve it as well.

So the message is that it is clearly possible, but perfection is not realistic with current technology. That may change in a decade with bioengineering.

None of us will ever have perfect skin, but you reach a point where you stop dwelling on your imperfections. I would still be a miserable as I was in 2008 if I hadn't done my Re:pairs. I would never have accepted myself. I look in the mirror now and realize how far I have come. A full face, eye and neck lift and a nose job, and I will be done. Don't laugh, remember that I am a lot older than all of you kids, but you will get there some day. I wish that I were younger, not only for the age benefits, but you people have options to treat scars now that didn't exist when I began my quest. I hear people talk about giving up and I could just slap them.

MemberMember
(@kayjaym)

Posted : 06/16/2014 12:27 am

Define "kids"? lol under 25? under 30? under 40? =P

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 06/16/2014 3:33 pm

technically under 21 probably ^ lol

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 06/16/2014 6:17 pm

Define "kids"? lol under 25? under 30? under 40? =P

OK, I will say under 30, which I think most of the people here are. I had 3 kids by the time I was 32. I was so busy with kids starting when I was 25 that I didn't have time to think about scars. It will come as no secret that I am a huge fan of women, scars, and being married held me back so I will go to my deathbed making up for lost time. Sex appeal is kind of a taboo subject on this forum, but sex is the driving force behind almost everything, and that is why you can never stop trying to improve yourself. To me acceptance = giving up = rapid decline.

MemberMember
(@kayjaym)

Posted : 06/17/2014 1:32 am

As a "kid" in his late 20s I use the gym for my sex appeal. I just realize theres only so much that can be done about acne scars. Plus I dont wanna go the surgery route because I dont wanna risk complications and making things worse. Im just gonna keep my skin young through exercise, eating right, and drinking tons of fluids.

MemberMember
(@anewhaven)

Posted : 06/17/2014 11:18 am

Hey guys! I have seen many of your names on this board. You are quite experienced and famous here for your opinions. People like leadingforce, blah, Dudley etc. sorry if I didn't mention your name, plenty of you.

The older guy is right. You got to do something before age takes over n it makes things worse.

I kinda need all of your great advice here.

I have been using retin A with no issue until 6 months later, my skin peeled n worse. Pores become larger, form lines between pores. Did tca chemical peel twice and pores got angrier n larger. Now trying to use all gentle things on skin. Coupled with box n rolling scars, what can you really suggest that I can do something about it?

Lasers, Dudley?

More dermarolling n needling?

How did brad pitt solve his problem? Any clue leadingforce?

Ya we probably don't have million in cash but if they are so successful in treating it, there must be a way right?

Thanks guys. I'm very keen in hearing you guys out. How far you have come n which techniques have been great for you so far.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 06/18/2014 11:25 am

Hey guys! I have seen many of your names on this board. You are quite experienced and famous here for your opinions. People like leadingforce, blah, Dudley etc. sorry if I didn't mention your name, plenty of you.

The older guy is right. You got to do something before age takes over n it makes things worse.

I kinda need all of your great advice here.

I have been using retin A with no issue until 6 months later, my skin peeled n worse. Pores become larger, form lines between pores. Did tca chemical peel twice and pores got angrier n larger. Now trying to use all gentle things on skin. Coupled with box n rolling scars, what can you really suggest that I can do something about it?

Lasers, Dudley?

More dermarolling n needling?

How did brad pitt solve his problem? Any clue leadingforce?

Ya we probably don't have million in cash but if they are so successful in treating it, there must be a way right?

Thanks guys. I'm very keen in hearing you guys out. How far you have come n which techniques have been great for you so far.

brad pitt had barely any scars only a little that wouldnt make a difference

u1971 liked