Notifications
Clear all

Pantothenic Acid B5 Alone?

MemberMember
(@bluesheep91)

Posted : 06/09/2014 3:37 am

Is it possible to take Pantothenic Acid B5 without having to put BP or any topical product on your face and just use a gentle cleanser and be clear? Has anyone of you done so successfully? Just want to hear from you. :) Thanks!

MemberMember
(@wikkid)

Posted : 06/15/2014 3:40 pm

I have tried Vitamin B5 in dosages ranging from 500mg to 3 grams. It makes your skin less oily, because B5 competes with Biotin at the same receptor (it kind of blocks biotin from doing what it does). Biotin upregulates sebum production, makes your hair oily but healthy looking, makes your nails grow stronger and faster. So what happens when you start taking B5 is you start countering biotin properties: sebum production is reduced (helps acne), your hair will dry and fall out (not good at all), and your nails wont grow as fast (who cares). B5 might make your skin dry, atleast when starting with higher dosages, because you dont have much sebum on your skin and your skin is not used to that.

B5 needs to be used in high dosages to get completely clear with it (dangerously high), 5-8 grams, depends on individual ofcourse. I don't use B5 anymore, I dont have the balls to megadose it, even though the only side-effects I experienced were headache and hair getting dry and unhealthy looking. Before you try B5, you should take a look at topics discussing hairloss people have experienced with B5, and also this one [Edited link out] Its just one guy, but a scary story indeed.

Im not trying to scare you away from trying this, but rather educate you about how B5 works and what might happen if you are unlucky. Take care.

MemberMember
(@sonicx2218)

Posted : 06/18/2014 10:53 pm

Wikkid is right. I've had a similar scare with B5. My best suggestion would be stop, and pursue other avenues like magnesium or zinc...just don't OD on those either and make sure to do research on dosings. If you have to megadose to get results, it's not the solution. Just remember that.

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 06/27/2014 1:41 am

I agree with both posts and particularly zinc. Only for acne benefits you do not need to use zinc internally as zinc oxide powder will penetrate your skin with an oil vehicle and you have hormonal enzymes in the integumentary system (skin) producing a harmful form of testosterone when out of control and zinc oxide is proven to suppress this reaction topically. MUCH safer and no need to mess with other organ systems or areas that may be harmed.