Notifications
Clear all

24-Year-Old Male With Whiteheads - Suggestions?

MemberMember
(@ross2012)

Posted : 06/06/2014 8:04 pm

Hey guys,

I'm 24 (and a half) and a male, though I'm still getting whiteheads.

I've tried pretty much everything - all kinds of washes, natural pills, antibiotics from the doctors - but nothing has worked. Most recently, my acne has been a little better thanks to a Neutrogena Naturals product, though I can never get completely clear.

I'm OK with just having a couple of spots - after all, everyone gets the odd one - though today I flared up with around 4 or 5 angry-looking whiteheads. I always seem to have red areas around my chin and nose area.

What's the next step? I've never tried benzoyl peroxide - should I give that a go? Or should I go back to the doctors and ask to see a dermatologist this time instead of just the normal doc?

How about facial wipes? Has anyone had success with those?

Thanks for your help guys!

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/07/2014 7:51 pm

If youve not tired BP Id highly recommend it. I hadnt tried BP before properly and I was desperate and its really working well. Benzyl Peroxide is definintely worth a shot!

MemberMember
(@ross2012)

Posted : 06/08/2014 12:06 pm

If youve not tired BP Id highly recommend it. I hadnt tried BP before properly and I was desperate and its really working well. Benzyl Peroxide is definintely worth a shot!

Thanks for the reply! What type/brand of BP do you recommend?

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/08/2014 4:29 pm

Ive been using the 2.5% from Paulas Choice. I wouldnt recommend using a higher % than that as it will be overly drying. I apply an even layer morning and night to my affected areas.

MemberMember
(@ross2012)

Posted : 06/08/2014 7:25 pm

Ive been using the 2.5% from Paulas Choice. I wouldnt recommend using a higher % than that as it will be overly drying. I apply an even layer morning and night to my affected areas.

Thanks! I'll give this a go. Out of interest, what cleanser do you use?

MemberMember
(@kim1584)

Posted : 06/09/2014 12:45 am

What does your skin care routine look like? And when you say whiteheads do you mean colorless raised bumps or are they red and inflamed? A colorless bump is actually a true whitehead and means that the pore is completely clogged/blocked. If your acne is red and inflamed I would try something with salycic acid or BP. BP can be really drying so if you try it make sure you use a good oil free facial moisturizer afterward. Make sure you use a cleanser, toner, and oilfree moisturizer daily and exfoliate atleast twice a week. I use one part baking soda and one part water as an exfoliator. You can use apple cider vinegar diluted with water as a toner. Both are cheap and effective! If you've already tried these things than it might just be that your irritating your skin too much and you should go for a more gentle approach. Cetaphil gentle cleanser works really well as well as witch Hazel for a toner for sensitive skin. Sometimes I use olive oil as a moisturizer. Sometimes some of the best products you can find are right in your kitchen. :) Either way I still suggest you exfoliate 2-3 times a week. It removes the dead skin, oil, and dirt that are clogging your pores. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@marleyme)

Posted : 06/09/2014 1:54 am

Well, could advise you simply the purifying foams but in the case of the whiteheads (which are basically blocked pores with a layer of dead skin over the openings) you should use something to stop the inflammation first. Have you tried Purifying Hydrophilic Cleanser Barbados? Its paraben-free, doesn't over dry the skin but makes it super soft and fresh. You can apply it in the morning for example. But if you deal with the whiteheads often, as you say, theres something in your skin care routine or lifestyle that is causing them. NEVER use scrubs with abrasive particles which only spread the inflammation all over the skin face. I used to apply Salvital by Anna Lotan - an exfoliating fluid which purifies the skin and smoothes it without any need to rub it roughly... Ideal for body and scalp peel even. Make sure, you don't touch the skin by unwashed hands during the day, as well.