Notifications
Clear all

My 20Mg/week Accutane Log !

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 06/06/2014 7:07 pm

because i see no need for a regular dose of 40mg a day, I have started a micro-dose of one 20mg pill/week. I started about 10 days ago; I wish I could have started this log when I actually began taking accutane but Acne.org was having some issues at the time... I will go back a few days and start this log with my 1 week update which was a few days ago. a little about myself:

I am a 19 year old Caucasian male living in Canada.

skin type: oily, especially around forehead nose and chin

acne: mild, sometimes moderate, lots of tiny whiteheads, and the occasional small inflamed pimple under the skin. only on face, never on body.

20mg per week for the forseeable future until things clear up, which they damn better !! wish me luck !! : )

P.S. if you have ever tried a micro-dose like this or are currently on a low dose like me, please share your input. there are no wrong answers

End of week 1: so far no difference. just took my second 20mg pill, will update at the end of week 2.
MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 06/11/2014 1:04 pm

Good luck to ya!

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 06/11/2014 3:49 pm

End of week 2, just took my third 20mg pill

no difference, but my skin has been very good to me the last week. whiteheads still the same, (very small still) but NO inflamed pimples. no reduction in oil yet, but some areas of my face are a little drier than i am used to, only barely noticeable.

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 06/16/2014 4:59 pm

End of week 3, just took my 4th 20mg pill.

no difference, skin might be a tad less oily, but hard to tell. dont want to get anyone's hopes up (mine included) until I am 100% sure I am seeing a difference. at least its not getting worse :) just staying the same or slowly getting better. Still haven't had an inflamed pimple. and it seems like the tiny flesh-colored bumps (small whiteheads?) I get just linger and then go away if i dont pick and squeeze at them and piss them off. an ignored pimple is a happy pimple. will report again at the end of week 4!

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 06/26/2014 4:03 pm

End of week 3, just took my 4th 20mg pill.

no difference, skin might be a tad less oily, but hard to tell. dont want to get anyone's hopes up (mine included) until I am 100% sure I am seeing a difference. at least its not getting worse just staying the same or slowly getting better. Still haven't had an inflamed pimple. and it seems like the tiny flesh-colored bumps (small whiteheads?) I get just linger and then go away if i dont pick and squeeze at them and piss them off. an ignored pimple is a happy pimple. will report again at the end of week 4!

any update on this?

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 06/26/2014 7:31 pm

End of week 4, just took my 5th 20mg pill for this coming week.

So it has been exactly a month since i started this micro dose. Skin is a bit less oily , probably producing about 80% of the oil it was at the beginning. No difference in acne , will post again at end of week 5.

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 07/04/2014 3:43 pm

End of week 5, just took my 5th 20mg pill.

I can tell my face is producing noticeably less oil than it was before. now my face (mainly forehead) doesnt feel oily until the end of the day. acne has settled down a bit, no inflamed pimples ( never really had trouble with those anyway) but tiny whiteheads and surface texture is maybe 80-90% of what it was at the beginning. the main thing I have noticed is that i have been consuming lots of dairy and junk food over the last week, which usually breaks me out mildly after the first few days, but i have noticed nothing. looks like the accutane overpowers the extra sebum production caused by the intake of these foods (for me). red marks take a while to fade so it can be troubling sometimes, it can make me think my acne is not improving but if i try to ignore the most recent red marks (scars or previous small scabs here and there) i can notice the acne is gradually decreasing.

will update again at end of week 6

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 07/07/2014 9:31 am

End of week 5, just took my 5th 20mg pill.

I can tell my face is producing noticeably less oil than it was before. now my face (mainly forehead) doesnt feel oily until the end of the day. acne has settled down a bit, no inflamed pimples ( never really had trouble with those anyway) but tiny whiteheads and surface texture is maybe 80-90% of what it was at the beginning. the main thing I have noticed is that i have been consuming lots of dairy and junk food over the last week, which usually breaks me out mildly after the first few days, but i have noticed nothing. looks like the accutane overpowers the extra sebum production caused by the intake of these foods (for me). red marks take a while to fade so it can be troubling sometimes, it can make me think my acne is not improving but if i try to ignore the most recent red marks (scars or previous small scabs here and there) i can notice the acne is gradually decreasing.

will update again at end of week 6

Very encouraging. Thanks for the update and keep them coming. I started 20mg a week today.

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 07/11/2014 3:41 pm

End of week 6, just took another 20mg. Noticeably less oil production, no reduction in acne yet. Anybody else have a similar experience? I am wondering why my acne is still a problem when there is much less sebum being produced. Will update at end of week 7

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 07/12/2014 10:53 am

End of week 6, just took another 20mg. Noticeably less oil production, no reduction in acne yet. Anybody else have a similar experience? I am wondering why my acne is still a problem when there is much less sebum being produced. Will update at end of week 7

I've only been doing this about a week so no results to report yet. One question for you though. If you like the results of this regimen, do you plan on doing it for forever? I ask because I'm pretty sure this approach won't produce any last results if you stop taking the pills. I'm not doctor but I don't see much harm in taking 10-20mg a week indefinitely. some people do like 80mg a day for 6 months to a year.

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 07/13/2014 12:07 am

I've only been doing this about a week so no results to report yet. One question for you though. If you like the results of this regimen, do you plan on doing it for forever? I ask because I'm pretty sure this approach won't produce any last results if you stop taking the pills. I'm not doctor but I don't see much harm in taking 10-20mg a week indefinitely. some people do like 80mg a day for 6 months to a year.

willbill, good question. i have also thought about this.

the reason i wanted to avoid a high dose from scratch was because of the side effects and the initial breakout possibility. If this low dose regimen works, and i become clear or almost clear, at that point i will start increasing my dose until within 3 or 4 months i am taking 40mg a day, then i will take 40mg per day for a few months which, combined with my previous accumulation of low doses, should equal a fairly accurate cumulative dose of the reccommended mg/kg. my body weight dictates I should have a 6 month course of 40mg/day. i will do about 3 months of 40mg per day (if) it is combined with a few months of varying doses of 20mg/week to 20mg per day FIRST. i hope that paints a reasonably clear picture of my plan. my other plan, depending on how things go, is once i am clear to bump up my dose to roughly double what i am on now, so about 40mg per week, then to take 40mg/per week (still a low dose) for 6 months or so, then when i stop taking it, just see what happens. it will be a much smaller cumulative dose, but newer studies show the high doses and the "cumulative dose" theory are not as accurate as they were thought to be in the late 70's when the drug was first discovered. the people who take 10mg per week and are clear at the end of 5 weeks are a testiment to that.

let me know about your progress, as I hope you are successful as well !!

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 07/20/2014 2:16 am

end of week 7. starting this week (week 8) I am moving up to 10mg every other day (35mg/week). i can confirm that my skin is no longer "oily" anymore, it is still slightly oily compared to other people's skin which is matte for the entire day, after a long day mine has a slight sheen only on the forehead, which i can handle. and i know it will get evern better than it is now. acne: NO inflamed pimples except for one very small one maybe once every 1-2 weeks (if i skip a shower ot two and don't eat very well), the only redness on my skin is what is left from picking at previous stuff, and getting all worked up over one or two spots in a certain area and picking at it that they actually turn INTO pimples. if i leave my face alone, i still have about 80% of the tiny flesh colored bumps (whiteheads?) that i used to have, but they dont turn into pimples unless i pick at them. dry skin: some dry skin over healing spots, and alot around the lower sides of nose. but NO dry skin yet around any other area (knock on sebum) Do i exfoliate around there, or will that just cause more dry skin? its not desert-dry; its more like loose but not dry skin. maybe i shouldn't call it "dry", just dead and visible. still annoying none the less.

SO, satisfaction so far: minor but increasing satisfaction. noticing improvement, still mildly skeptical, considering my experience with "cures" in the past.

will update again at end of week 8 (one week into 10mg every other day {EOD} )

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 07/22/2014 5:53 pm

end of week 7. starting this week (week 8) I am moving up to 10mg every other day (35mg/week). i can confirm that my skin is no longer "oily" anymore, it is still slightly oily compared to other people's skin which is matte for the entire day, after a long day mine has a slight sheen only on the forehead, which i can handle. and i know it will get evern better than it is now. acne: NO inflamed pimples except for one very small one maybe once every 1-2 weeks (if i skip a shower ot two and don't eat very well), the only redness on my skin is what is left from picking at previous stuff, and getting all worked up over one or two spots in a certain area and picking at it that they actually turn INTO pimples. if i leave my face alone, i still have about 80% of the tiny flesh colored bumps (whiteheads?) that i used to have, but they dont turn into pimples unless i pick at them. dry skin: some dry skin over healing spots, and alot around the lower sides of nose. but NO dry skin yet around any other area (knock on sebum) Do i exfoliate around there, or will that just cause more dry skin? its not desert-dry; its more like loose but not dry skin. maybe i shouldn't call it "dry", just dead and visible. still annoying none the less.

SO, satisfaction so far: minor but increasing satisfaction. noticing improvement, still mildly skeptical, considering my experience with "cures" in the past.

Good stuff. Thanks for the update. I'm on week 2 or so of doing 20 mg a week. So far nothing too exiting to report. Although thats what I expected. I hope doing the EOD thing works out for you. I once tried to do 10 mg a day for a little but really did not like the side effects. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 07/23/2014 2:27 am

I do'\t know if you are on any skin care regimen or using any chemicals, but I had side effects like dry skin and redness when on 10mg/day, but when I tried the caveman regimen (for me it was a shower once a day, switched to NO chemicals, just water) my face became healthier and I no longer have dryness even with 10mg every other day, switching to 10mg per day for me I believe won't be a problem. using chemicals on your face combined with Accutane's drying properties is a bad mix for side effects. However I am curious, what were your side effects? any difference in acne such as an initial breakout ? that is the only thing I am a little worried about when considering upping my dosage in a little bit. thanks

Good stuff. Thanks for the update. I'm on week 2 or so of doing 20 mg a week. So far nothing too exiting to report. Although thats what I expected. I hope doing the EOD thing works out for you. I once tried to do 10 mg a day for a little but really did not like the side effects. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 07/23/2014 2:32 pm

I do'\t know if you are on any skin care regimen or using any chemicals, but I had side effects like dry skin and redness when on 10mg/day, but when I tried the caveman regimen (for me it was a shower once a day, switched to NO chemicals, just water) my face became healthier and I no longer have dryness even with 10mg every other day, switching to 10mg per day for me I believe won't be a problem. using chemicals on your face combined with Accutane's drying properties is a bad mix for side effects. However I am curious, what were your side effects? any difference in acne such as an initial breakout ? that is the only thing I am a little worried about when considering upping my dosage in a little bit. thanks

My side effects were dry skin, lots of redness, and sun sensitivity. Pretty much the standard accutane side effects. I didn't have an initial outbreak. I may be wrong, but I think IB is usually minimal when doing a low dose.

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 08/02/2014 2:08 pm

Hey just seeing how its going for you and giving an update. Since last update, my oily skin has seen major improvement. I can now go all day without getting crazy oily. I still get oily but its normal/below normal amount. I'm sticking with 20 mg a week for a while. Hopefully eventually get it down to 10 a week.

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 08/02/2014 4:14 pm

Hey just seeing how its going for you and giving an update. Since last update, my oily skin has seen major improvement. I can now go all day without getting crazy oily. I still get oily but its normal/below normal amount. I'm sticking with 20 mg a week for a while. Hopefully eventually get it down to 10 a week.

^ I am unclear on the process of replying to just one quote, so I hope this works

Good to hear you are seeing effects already. Keep in mind that once you go down to 10mg/week, that is not a long term solution. Because you will reach no where near the required cumulative dose at such a small amount unless you take the pills for like 30 years, you will develop oily skin and (acne) as soon as you go off the pills. Because of this, I am only using the micro dose as a way to work my way up to a full dose very slowly. in the next little while, I will be going to 10mg/day and from there, up to 15/day, 20/day, then maybe even 30-40mg a day but for not the full 6 months, as I will have already accumulated some of the drug in my system. Do what works fro you, but keep in mind if you only stick to such a low dose, the "cure" wont be a cure anymore once you stop. please keep this in mind ! and good luck/keep us updated !!

MemberMember
(@willbill)

Posted : 08/03/2014 10:34 am

^ I am unclear on the process of replying to just one quote, so I hope this works

Good to hear you are seeing effects already. Keep in mind that once you go down to 10mg/week, that is not a long term solution. Because you will reach no where near the required cumulative dose at such a small amount unless you take the pills for like 30 years, you will develop oily skin and (acne) as soon as you go off the pills. Because of this, I am only using the micro dose as a way to work my way up to a full dose very slowly. in the next little while, I will be going to 10mg/day and from there, up to 15/day, 20/day, then maybe even 30-40mg a day but for not the full 6 months, as I will have already accumulated some of the drug in my system. Do what works fro you, but keep in mind if you only stick to such a low dose, the "cure" wont be a cure anymore once you stop. please keep this in mind ! and good luck/keep us updated !!

Thanks for the advice. I believe we may be seeking different things from accutane. From what I've read, no matter what the intensity of the course, oily skin will always come back. What I'm trying to do is find a weekly dose (hopefully just 10mg a week) that I can take indefinitely. I don't want to put myself through a whole course of something like 40 - 60 mg only to have my oily skin come back in a year. My acne is very minimal so it is pretty much just the oily skin I'm trying to control.

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 08/03/2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the advice. I believe we may be seeking different things from accutane. From what I've read, no matter what the intensity of the course, oily skin will always come back. What I'm trying to do is find a weekly dose (hopefully just 10mg a week) that I can take indefinitely. I don't want to put myself through a whole course of something like 40 - 60 mg only to have my oily skin come back in a year. My acne is very minimal so it is pretty much just the oily skin I'm trying to control.

A full dose (high dose) of accutane will cure acne in MOST people. the ones you hear about who develop oily skin and acne again any time after their course finishes are only a small percentage, I like to call them the unlucky ones. Even so, those who have to do a full course a second time usually see lasting results. taking a micro dose indefinitely , as opposed to a high dose for a shorter period of time, has been known to cause permanent negative side effects including decrease in night vision, digestion problems, and especially joint problems. However I do agree that these effects are present in high doses as well, but they are more common from taking a micro dose for years and years. So there are a few different ways to reach the "clear" goal, but I am trying to set my sights on having the drug in my system for the least amount of time. IF i finish my course and my oily skin comes back, I will be pissed but that is a small chance. good luck, and btw do you know if your doctor(s) will be alright with you taking accutane for years, and will they keep renewing your prescription, even though they would rather have you on a high dose for a shorter period of time ? I dont think mine would allow me to do that unless i threatened to otherwise buy accutane off the internet, which is about the most dangerous thing you can do to your body lol

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 08/03/2014 1:40 pm

End of week 9, starting week 10 ( I believe ). oily skin increased mildly for about 2-3 days then went back to normal, but probably because i was loading up on dairy and junk food, but i did not see any change in acne. So far, the progress is slow, but consistent and positive and i am beginning to really find myself more attractive, and i think my confidence has been bumped up one small notch, as I have noticed a few girls flirting with me and being really nice to me, not that they weren't before, but i think my increased confidence has allowed me to pick up on these things and believe them. Acne has not vanished from any areas of my face, except my cheeks and throat area( only slight problem area before but none anymore) but everything is smoothing out and is nearly flat, and i still get these tiny stubborn flesh coloured bumps (whiteheads?) around my chin and beside my nose that never come to a head but stay there for about half a week then vanish. ONLY if i pick at them, will they become inflamed and swollen. I haven't picked at anything for almost a few weeks, and that has made a world of difference. 90% of the red or pink or light brown marks on my face are just healing marks from previous acne, acne from weeks ago, and i have maybe one or two slightly red spots from current blemishes. flaky skin is not as bad as i thought, I just wash my face with a facecloth gently every 2 showers, maybe apply moisturizer if i am feeling like it, and all i am dealing with is a bit of flakey skin around the crease of my nose and chin/sides of my mouth which i can remove with a wet cotton ball. I am satisfied so far, and I believe that from 2.5 months ago when i started this course, I am about 30-50% clear. definitely progress and a half. at this rate, i expect to be about 40-60% clear in another 4-6 weeks.

Also, just a reminder that I am not using harsh chemicals or a regimen on my face, which has really helped. before, when i used a harsh skin care regimen involving chemical scrub, toner and BP, my dry flakey skin went up by about 20x when trying accutane... but now, after going near-caveman and washing gently with water and cloth only once a day, my face feels healthy, did not make my acne worse (imagine how much money i was wasting on skin care shit if it did not even make a difference! ) AND even with accutane, i BARELY notice an increase in dry skin. SO, if you are on any kind of accutane dose and you feel like your dry flakey skin is getting a little wild, consider what you are doing to your face via chemicals every morning and night. If you let it heal and wash it like human skin was meant to be washed, GENTLY, you will begin to notice your face ... "corrects" itself even with the drug in your system. Good Luck !

P.S "caveman" regimen didn't work to clear up my acne, but it has made a HUGE difference in letting accutane do ITS job. However it does work for hair...i have stopped using shampoo except maybe once or twice before i go in and get my haircut the following day, and my hair is thicker, more full, and has stopped being oily. generally feels healthier. give it a try !

MemberMember
(@bacardi151rum)

Posted : 11/14/2014 3:33 am

If anyone is still reading this, it has been a few months since going up to 10mg per day. NOT worth it. too much dry skin, more than moisturizer can handle, and trying to mess with it and get it under control has caused more acne. Now it is more like a rash. I am going to rid my body of accutane and try from ground zero aka oily skin going on 20mg per week and will not increase unless perhaps to 30mg per week IF i have to. i was experiencing good slow but consistent results with 20mg per week and just increased to 10mg per day because I was impatient. I have decided that if such a small dose of accutane can help me out this much, I will just do it for a longer period of time. fuck joint pain and any of those silly side effects I am sure I won't mind a sore knee once in a while if I can have actual human being skin right !!

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 07/02/2016 1:42 pm

On 11/14/2014 at 0:33 AM, Bacardi151Rum said:

If anyone is still reading this, it has been a few months since going up to 10mg per day. NOT worth it. too much dry skin, more than moisturizer can handle, and trying to mess with it and get it under control has caused more acne. Now it is more like a rash. I am going to rid my body of accutane and try from ground zero aka oily skin going on 20mg per week and will not increase unless perhaps to 30mg per week IF i have to. i was experiencing good slow but consistent results with 20mg per week and just increased to 10mg per day because I was impatient. I have decided that if such a small dose of accutane can help me out this much, I will just do it for a longer period of time. fuck joint pain and any of those silly side effects I am sure I won't mind a sore knee once in a while if I can have actual human being skin right !!

Hey! I have been reading this thread and I am very interested in what happened. I took my first course of accutane around this time, and tried a second course the beginning of this year but got wayyy too dry, to the point of looking aged and now I am doing a micro dosing on my own. I take a probiotic and I am hoping I am not causing irreversible damage to my insides. I hope you see this and respond.