Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Failed 3 Times, Regimen Failed Twice, Hopeless?

MemberMember
(@chunko)

Posted : 06/06/2014 6:18 pm

I'm 20 and I've been dealing with acne since I was in the 4th grade. Originally I had bad acne on my face as well as my chest and back. I went on 3 rounds of Accutane for that and luckily my chest and back are mostly clear now with some bad scarring. However, the acne has always come back on my face and ONLY on my chin/jawline area.
Having acne for this long has completely ruined my sense of self confidence and I am beginning to feel like there is nothing left I can do. I need your guys advice on the next step so I can move past this and get back to living my life.
The Regimen cleared me for about 2 months a year ago but I have had mixed results since then. My skin is constantly dry and flaky even when I am off the regimen. I have stopped and started the regimen 3 times over the last year because it has stopped working and to give my skin a break.
What hasnt worked:
Accutane 3 times (All 40 mg doses except first course) (one course at 15, one course at 17, one course at 18)
Diet of no Sugar/Dairy/Soy/Gluten/Corn
Paleo Diet
Acne.org regimen
Monocycline
Doxycycline
Benzaclin
Clindamycin
Bactrim
Differen
Tazorac
Retin-A
Solodyn
Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner/spot treatment
All OTC Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid Topicals/Creams/Washes (Neutroegna, Burts Bees, Kiss My Face, Clean and Clear, Cerave, Cetaphil,Aveeno)
Supplements that havent worked for me:
Omega 3 Fish Oil
Centrum Multi Vitamin
Apple Cider Vinegar twice a day
Milk Thistle
Burdock Root
Zinc
B5
Probiotics
Vitamin D
Fiber/Metamucil
Acne is ONLY on my chin/mouth area as well as my neck. My checks and forehead are clear for the most part with the occasional cyst or nodule on my temple about twice a month.
I don't really know what else to do here. Pretty depressed and upset about this. Please post or PM me if anyone has any ideas of how I can attempt to clear this up
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/06/2014 6:27 pm

I'm not sure if i have anything to offer but i am in the same boat as you. I did accutane 3 times and the regimen, diet changes, plus every topical know to man, birth control, yada, yada, yada........ I just wanted you to know you're not alone. I am about to try an elimination diet of fish and veggies plus juicing and that will be my final diet change.

Since acne is only on your chin/jawline it cold be a hormonal imbalance so maybe vitamins for men that target that.

Good Luck and keep your head up.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/06/2014 7:23 pm

Are you male or female?

MemberMember
(@chunko)

Posted : 06/07/2014 3:56 am

Male

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/09/2014 12:05 am

Male

So I guess bcp and spiro are out then.

What products do you use on your face (to shave, wash, moisturize, etc.)?

Have you ever tried an elimination diet, vegan diet, or juicing?

MemberMember
(@chunko)

Posted : 06/09/2014 12:43 am

Male

I use edge shaving gel and a gilette 5 blade razor and wet shave about every other day. Gonna try and grow a beard to cover my acne though as a last resort now.

Yes I have tried elimination and vegan diets with very little effect on my skin. I have never tried juicing but would be open to it

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/09/2014 8:23 pm

Male

I use edge shaving gel and a gilette 5 blade razor and wet shave about every other day. Gonna try and grow a beard to cover my acne though as a last resort now.

Yes I have tried elimination and vegan diets with very little effect on my skin. I have never tried juicing but would be open to it

The edge could be breaking you out (especially since your breakouts seem to be in places guys usually shave). So could face washes or moisturizers you're using. Try running the stuff you're using through CosDNA (a website) to see if the ingredients in them are comedogenic. Even acne products can cause breakouts. I was using avar-e (rx sulfur cream) and it was giving me big inflamed pimples because it contained waxes in it.

For more info on juicing check out this thread:

Also maybe try an elimination diet? Make sure you're not eating foods and drinks which can be hormonal triggers like soy, flax, green tea, etc.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. Accutane failed me too and I'm refusing to go back on it. I've been able to stop my inflamed acne, but I've got stubborn non-inflamed acne. I'm also about to start juicing.