Notifications
Clear all

Seeking Advice - Breakouts On Chin And Hairline!

MemberMember
(@oxygenblue)

Posted : 06/03/2014 10:19 am

Hello - I recently signed up on this board so that I could seek advice regarding my skin. Summertime is here, and its especially troubling to see my skin when pool parties, etc are approaching and it becomes much more difficult to hide it.

I am currently struggling with headless, multiple zits along my hairline, that have started to extend down the side of my face on one side. Some do have a small, visible white head. I have also struggled with small whiteheads or headless bumps on my chin, which I've had for so many years that there is now discoloration. Recently, I also have tiny bumps on my chest, shoulders, and neck - some with whiteheads.

I occasionally get zits on my cheeks, forehead, or nose, but most commonly it is my hairline, chin, and mouth area.

A quick history - I started having some breakouts around puberty, which I know is fairly common. Over the past 5 years or so (I am about to be 20), I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING. I have tried so many different skin care products, including Boscia, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Sally B's, Clinique 3-Step, Yes! to Tomatoes, Yes! to Cucumbers, Skin Effects, Origins products, etc. Since I prefer natural products, I have recently started using coconut oil at night, and I have also tried lemon juice and baking soda. I have also experimented with different shampoos and conditioners, as well as immediately washing off their residues from my face after my shower, but to no avail - since my hair is dry, there is only so much I can do about that.

My current regimen is as follows - Wake up and immediately shower, or shower after I come home from the gym. (I have recently switched to Argan Oil shampoo, conditioner, and heat protectant, which I know is oily, but I need it for my dry hair.) I also recently started using Physician's Formula organic tinted moisturizer daily, though this has not improved or hurt my skin, and I like the product. At night, I use Alba Hawaiian 3-in-one towelettes after rinsing my face with warm water, followed by coconut oil. Some nights, I also try dabbing peroxide on my zits, which hasn't really done anything.

Other than eye makeup and that organic tinted moisturizer, I rarely put foundation on. I cover my zits with Neutrogena SkinClearing concealer frequently as well.

Regarding the coconut oil: I read online that it was wonderful for acne, so I picked up a jar of organic oil up at the store. For the first couple of weeks, I thought I had finally found my solution - it worked amazing! I did not have hardly any zits when I first started using it nightly. However, now that I've been using it over a month, I'm starting to break out again, which also may have to do with the temperatures getting into the 90s here in Texas...it seems like over the past few summers, I cannot escape my hairline breakouts!

I cut nearly 100% of dairy out of my diet, but it only helped with the large/painful zits, not these annoying, clustered small ones. Other than that, admittedly, my diet is pretty poor - I eat quite a bit of junk.

I am very fair-skinned, and I honestly can't figure out if my if my skin is too dry or getting too much oil in areas. I thought that since the coconut oil worked for a few weeks, that my face was moisture-starved, but now it stopped working so I don't know. Since the majority is on my hairline, I'm sure that's hair-related, but I wash my hair when it looks oily on the top, and I really don't want to wear my hair up or back that often. Plus, I'm not sure how that relates to my chin.

Luckily, I have managed to avoid them being seen in photos - they are small so they are easy to cover up, but now that the sun is out, the horrid texture of my skin is much more obvious, which really can't be covered.

I attached some photos of my current issues. I hope I can get some good advice!

post-400948-0-95427100-1401808472.jpg

post-400948-0-27786900-1401808477.jpg

post-400948-0-05505500-1401808478.jpg

post-400948-0-95427100-1401808472.jpg

post-400948-0-27786900-1401808477.jpg

post-400948-0-05505500-1401808478.jpg

MemberMember
(@lovelyplot)

Posted : 06/04/2014 8:19 am

Honestly, your skin isn't that bad at all :). Try cutting out processed crap and eating more vegetables and some fruits. Also gluten is a problem for a lot of people. Experiment with cutting out different foods from your diet. For some reason pinapple gives me horrible cysts. Also, I would suggest taking 30-50mg of zinc(but no higher), and at least 2,000 iu's of vitamin d

MemberMember
(@oxygenblue)

Posted : 06/04/2014 12:22 pm

Thank you!

I forgot to add that I'm on birth control, but I really never noticed a difference, good or bad, in my skin.

I was just thinking that gluten could be an issue. I will look into that.

MemberMember
(@lovelyplot)

Posted : 06/06/2014 8:45 am

Thank you!

I forgot to add that I'm on birth control, but I really never noticed a difference, good or bad, in my skin.

I was just thinking that gluten could be an issue. I will look into that.

In my experience it takes 2-3 months of not eating gluten to see a big difference. Good luck 🙂

MemberMember
(@flowersfornina)

Posted : 06/06/2014 10:33 am

Since you're breaking out around your hairline, are you sure it isn't the shampoo/conditioner that's making you break out around there? I use Argan oil too but only for my under-eyes as I tried it on other parts of my face and it clogged my pores.