Notifications
Clear all

Hi Guys! I'm New!

MemberMember
(@aeris7)

Posted : 06/03/2014 5:36 am

Hi everyone! I finally signed up for this site after years of being an outside observer.

I am here more so for the emotional support than for skin care advice. I've had acne since I was 13ish and I'm 30 now. I've spent lots of money at the dermatologists between all the prescription creams, antibiotic pills, and Accutane. I've tried Birth Control, dietary changes, etc... I've made lots of minor changes too (changing pilow cases everyday, using fragrance free detergent, etc..). And I've tried many of the less conventional methods (using my own pee on my face my urine therapy. Yes, I got that idea from the forums here lol).Considering the fact that my dermatologists have pretty much given up (heck, even Accutane didn't work), I think that my main focus now should be healing myself emotionally since there's a realistic chance that I might be one of those unlucky few who is stuck with this til my 50s or so. I have combination skin and ironically the acne only shows up on my cheeks (the non oily part of my face). I always have about 5 to 20 big, bright red cysts at any given moment. Well, I just ordered the Regimen sampler pack. I have nothing to lose and it's worth a try :)

I've recieved my fair share of condesencding comments from dates, friends, coworkers,well meaning relatives, and not so well meaning strangers. They have taken a toll on me over the years. I do believe that overall acne has made me more reclusive, less assertive, more self-conscious, and more prone to bouts of depression/sadness. But I've at least gotten to the point where I won't let a worse than usual skin day stop me from attending an event I wanted to go to.

So basically I'm just saying hi and giving a summary for why I joined. I know I'm in the right place ^_^

MemberMember
(@panicjack)

Posted : 06/03/2014 9:21 am

Do you have any scars?

MemberMember
(@aeris7)

Posted : 06/03/2014 10:58 am

Do you have any scars?

Yep, lots of them. I did laser surgery at one point, which I regret because it cost several thousand and the chronic acne just brought new scars soon afterward.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/03/2014 6:23 pm

Welcome! Glad you could join us. I remember when i first posted in 2011, feeling so alone and despondent. i still feel that way at times but now i have the support here that I never had before. As you post and answer the posts of others, you'll make fast friends. Emotional healing is important as physical healing as our emotional state can worsen our physical one. I know first hand what its like to have the wonder drug accutane fail you. I had that happen to me 3 times. Keep searching and never give up. Feel free to PM if you ever want to chat

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 06/14/2014 8:16 pm

Hi!

I recently joined after reading for some time, too. I feel like I'm just like you. Before, I would stress out over a little bit of acne, but now I'm so used to it that I still attend social situations despite my skin.

I think all you can do is keep living your life. In the meantime, look for solutions. I'm trying to follow this philosophy.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 06/16/2014 7:08 am

"I think all you can do is keep living your life. In the meantime, look for solutions". This is a good point, we all know how hard it can be, but I know long periods where I have been able to live well despite a few superficial problems. If we were 100% in control of our thoughts and feelings, we could live as if our skin was fine and never let it bother us a day in our lives but I don't know anybody like that. I do know people who have had bad skin but no matter how much you stared weirdly at them, you couldn't break their confidence. It was like they didn't know it was there. That's impressive I think.