Notifications
Clear all

1St Week. Don't Like This! Is This Normal?!?

MemberMember
(@marisbreb)

Posted : 06/03/2014 1:08 am

Okay so I am now on day 5 of the regimen and I don't like it. At all! My face is super red breaking out and seems to be getting a darker skin tone. I'm unhappy about this. My acne was never ever bad but always would get small breakouts and would try other acne treatments to have 100% clear skin. Nothing worked so I thought I would give this a try and now my face looks terrible! I even avoid going outside as much as possible because my face looks terrible! I wish I wouldn't have started using it. My face is worse now then when I wasn't using it at all! What is wrong? Did I do something wrong?! Is this normal!? Will my red dark broken out face go away? Will my skin tone go back to normal? What should I do? Keep using it or stop? Some one please help me!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/03/2014 1:56 am

Moved to the regimen forum

Sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience with the regimen so far. The first few weeks are usually pretty rough though as your skin needs to slowly adjust to the BP - so redness and flakiness / dryness is common

What have you been doing for the regimen? Have you been following it exactly as described? (only a small amount of BP once a day for the first week at least etc) What products are you using? Review the regimen instructions, FAQs and other info on this site too and check that you are really following it as closely as possible! :)That, and patience, are the keys to having it work for you.

(The Regimen help / FAQs / questionnaire http://www.acne.org/regimen-help.html )

(The Regimen info / instructions etc http://www.acne.org/regimen )

You could try giving your skin a break from it and see how that goes. Overall though, if you're not happy with how it's going, then you don't have to keep using it - but again, I'd check that you're following all the directions exactly first.

MemberMember
(@monm13)

Posted : 06/03/2014 2:04 am

Hello,

Please dont give up! I'm was exactly at your position: got darker skin tone, red, and break outs. But I kept at it and when the skin started peeling off thats when I realized something was different with that part of my skin and it was the best sight I've ever seen my face was. It may seem that some dark spots are getting darker but it will get better when the skin starts to peel off, trust me on this one. I know it sucks going out and having to face people but just dealt with it for now and keep going. I'm currently in my second week and 5 days and I'm still on that rough stage but it'll work out because the more I keep at it the better the result is.

So I hope you dont stop even though its really bad right now but everyone went through that stage so you will be alright. I hope you the best!

MemberMember
(@marisbreb)

Posted : 06/03/2014 2:35 am

Hello,

Please dont give up! I'm was exactly at your position: got darker skin tone, red, and break outs. But I kept at it and when the skin started peeling off thats when I realized something was different with that part of my skin and it was the best sight I've ever seen my face was. It may seem that some dark spots are getting darker but it will get better when the skin starts to peel off, trust me on this one. I know it sucks going out and having to face people but just dealt with it for now and keep going. I'm currently in my second week and 5 days and I'm still on that rough stage but it'll work out because the more I keep at it the better the result is.

So I hope you dont stop even though its really bad right now but everyone went through that stage so you will be alright. I hope you the best!

Your on your 2nd week? Did you see your skin tone come back? I'm really worried about my skin tone. I had a beautiful skin tone. My family is even noticing a difference in my face and all are telling me to stop because it's ruining my face. Also are you noticing less breaking out? Right now I see more break

Outs than ever is your face beginning to really clear?

Sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience with the regimen so far. The first few weeks are usually pretty rough though as your skin needs to slowly adjust to the BP - so redness and flakiness / dryness is common

What have you been doing for the regimen? Have you been following it exactly as described? (only a small amount of BP once a day for the first week at least etc) What products are you using? Review the regimen instructions, FAQs and other info on this site too and check that you are really following it as closely as possible! :)That, and patience, are the keys to having it work for you.

(The Regimen help / FAQs / questionnaire http://www.acne.org/regimen-help.html )

You could try giving your skin a break from it and see how that goes. Overall though, if you're not happy with how it's going, then you don't have to keep using it - but again, I'd check that you're following all the directions exactly first.

Thank you I will definitely check those out. How long have you been using regimen? Did you experience anything that I am? Darken skin tone? Terrible breakouts and redness? If so how long did it take for our face to adjust? Or see real improvement?

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 06/03/2014 3:28 am

Thank you I will definitely check those out. How long have you been using regimen? Did you experience anything that I am? Darken skin tone? Terrible breakouts and redness? If so how long did it take for our face to adjust? Or see real improvement?

I'll have been using the regimen for a year in a months time.

I can't stress enough thought that using it exactly as described will mean the best results for majority of people (due to time constraints, I can only apply it once a day and that means my skin isn't completely clear but it is SO much better than before I started and is controlled for the most part - If I was applying it twice a day, my skin would be clear I'm sure - but remember, start out with applying it once a day only and with a small amount of BP, and slowly work up to twice a day and more BP)

I definitely experienced similar things - bad redness and burning feeling for the first month or so. I also broke out a fair bit in the first few weeks - it was hard to tell if it was worse than normal as my acne was moderate-severe but I did notice I got a lot more white heads for the first few weeks than what was normal for me - particularly around the centre of my face.

I'd say it took the first month to adjust. And maybe another month or so after that to see real improvement. Everyone is different though and some people would experience things quicker than others. The important thing with the first month of the regimen is to take your time to slowly increase the BP and let your skin adjust to the BP rather than aiming / expecting to see results in the first month.

If you can, (and you don't think you're reaction is an allergic reaction etc) try and give the regimen a go for at least 3 or 4 months before deciding whether to keep going with it or not.

MemberMember
(@monm13)

Posted : 06/03/2014 9:17 am

Hello,

Yes I did see my skin tone come back, but not right away. Even now I still have some un-even skin tone but its completely alright. My family too did say that I look sick but I wasnt, it was just the medicine and they also told me to stop but I didnt. Now I have less break out and I only get small ones. To be honest with you, you have to be really patient, it not magic, it takes time. And for the redness give it some time for your face to get use to the BP.

You have to make sure you follow every instruction of the regimen:

Cleanse face for 10 seconds or less and make sure you just slide through your whole face and rinse. I only use 1 pump since 2 pump was to much for me.

Pat wet face dry and leave until its really dry 10-15 mins; while I'm waiting I actually smile so my face gets used to it. I know its quite long but it helped me. I always make sure I wake up a little early to make sure I do the regimen right for the sake of my face. You can do anything while your waiting.

After 10-15 mins, I wash my hands - pat dry - and apply BP gently. Now this part is very cruicial because people actually tend to use the full amount (1 pump) when they are only suppose to use a pea size of it first for the following week. Rushing the regimen will just irritate your skin so take it slow and follow the instructions very carefully. First week is a pea size, second week is double pea size, third week is triple pea size and fourth week is full amount of BP (1 pump).

Wait another 10-15 mins, sometimes a little longer because I really do want to make sure that its completely dry - and apply moisturizer with JoJobo oil (2 drops) very gently to the face.

For the following week I did get a little burning sensation because of the moisturizer but it went away and it gave me a cooling effect which was great' it just takes time. After you are finish,

I do the same thing morning and night and apply BP within the 10-12 hour time frame. I follow this very strictly.

--------

Now I can tell you again and so will everybody else that during the first and second, third, or fourth week, even two months that your face will be in a struggle but you have to keep going and just wait for a little longer. Trust me I to was going to cry that my face looked horrible and everyone was telling me that but I couldnt stop because I know its working and as everyone says its going to be rough during the first following week of the regimen so you have to understand. Even till this day and week I'm still facing it and I' m just dealing with it. Before you took the consideration of actually trying the regimen, you should have fully understand that it was going to be like that. The reviews, the blogs people make to update everyone, really helped me realized that it wasnt just me who is facing this struggle but other people as well. Its not magic I tell you, and you have to just keep waiting and waiting and hope it'll turn out for the best. I only use the regimen and nothing else; before I was very stress because I was using so many different things on my face but now only just the regimen.

I did make a few changes through my "the regimen," application:

Wash face and cleanse.

Apply 2 pea size of BP since I'm in the second week only in the morning.

And change my moisturizer to Neutrogena Oil Skin Non Comodogenic with SPF 30 with 2 pumps of Jojobo Oil.

At night I do the same thing except for the BP part.

And thats it.

For the flakiness try and not peel them off, it'll come off on its own. But if you are really concerned then you can exfoliate for 30 second with your fingers in a circular motion but be gentle. The regimen instruction doesnt say this but I did it anyways which I complete regret so I stopped but it might work for you. Just experiment and make sure you are comfortable with how you wre applying everything on your face. I dont know what else to say but if you have any question, please just ask me.

Hope for the best,

Mon

PS: I'm a guy so I never wear make up. :D

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 06/03/2014 9:05 pm

The first 4 weeks or so are hell for most people (myself included), but as lilly has mentioned above, if you're following the steps exactly, are consistent and persistent it will start to get better. Have a look at my photo gallery where I've done an 11 week log of the progress of my skin when I first started the regimen.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@lumina13)

Posted : 06/08/2014 7:31 am

I've been using it for three weeks. I noticed that skin tone did get a bit darker in some areas, but I have brown skin. It's already started return to normal already and my hyperpigmentation has actually improved somewhat. While you're using BP, definitely wear sunscreen.

Okay so I am now on day 5 of the regimen and I don't like it. At all! My face is super red breaking out and seems to be getting a darker skin tone. I'm unhappy about this. My acne was never ever bad but always would get small breakouts and would try other acne treatments to have 100% clear skin. Nothing worked so I thought I would give this a try and now my face looks terrible! I even avoid going outside as much as possible because my face looks terrible! I wish I wouldn't have started using it. My face is worse now then when I wasn't using it at all! What is wrong? Did I do something wrong?! Is this normal!? Will my red dark broken out face go away? Will my skin tone go back to normal? What should I do? Keep using it or stop? Some one please help me!