Notifications
Clear all

Is Acne The Same As Seborrhoeic Dermatitis?

MemberMember
(@gtx470)

Posted : 06/02/2014 6:11 am

I have always thought I had acne and was following a cleansing mechanism besides maintaining a non oily , spicy diet.Couple of months back I visited an old family physician and he diagnosed my condition as Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. I have been following his treatment for 2 months and I guess he is right. Although the condition cannot be avoided as it is triggered by whatever.... one can control the outbreak of eruptions.Much obliged on hearing of any thoughts from the esteemed community?

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 06/03/2014 7:38 pm

Well I have both of these conditions, typically a dermatologists would prescribe a ketconazle 2% cream or shampoo to use generally for 8 weeks. I am keeping both my acne and seb derm under control right now by strictly adhering to a candida diet. The seb derm is a yeast overgrowth on the skin, it took me some years to connect the dots but I feel as if candida is the root of all my and many others skin conditions. It's something worth checking out at least, after browsing youtube, thecandidadiet.com, and here I have found others with the exact same symptoms as me and we all are following the same type of protocol to heal our immune systems and intestinal tract by using a strict diet, probiotics and antifungals.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 06/03/2014 8:59 pm

I have seb derm induced by malassezzia and I've researched it as much as I can. Look back at my posts yesterday and you'll see a link to my most recent version of my Review of OTC Products for seb derm.

Hegor 150 shampoo, with 1.5% climbazole, is clearly the best anti-fungal shampoo. Nizoral 1% shampoo is in second place, IMO, but you can mail order Nizoral shampoo from any US drug store (web only) while you wait 3 weeks for Hegor 150 to ship from Bulgaria.

You can buy Hegor 150 only off eBay. There's only a single source, but it's an approved EU product, and made in France. There is also Mustella Baby Foam shampoo, sold at US Target stores in the Baby Health section, but it's less than 0.1% climbazole, and also made in France. There's no such thing as USP or FDA approved climbazole, because no one has wanted to spend the money on clinical trials here. That's why French products are the go-to item.

You can get 2% Ketoconazole cream off the web, from any reliable seller in India or Thailand, where they have no prescription laws. Otherwise you'll have to see a doc here in the US for 2% Ketoconazole cream. Taro makes a generic version that is cheaper than Nizoral.

The only dietary help for this condition is Vitamin D3, 2000 units per day, and Magnesium, 250 mg every other day. I contend that diet has nothing to do with seb derm induced by malassezia because some individuals of all mammal species can have the same condition -- sea lions (carnivores), giraffes (herbivores), and dogs (omnivores) to name just three.

Whatever you decide to use, adding 2% Niacinamide (B3) and 1% dl-panthenol (B5) and 3% glycerin will help the skin heal, and slowly erase tinea versicolor. All of these products are water soluble and cheap. I also like to add 2% Xylitol, but there's no direct science to back that up, only candida studies. Xylitol is an artificial sugar that is non-fermentable, and it keeps candida yeast from switching to the hyphae phase where they build biofilms that are really hard to knock down. I suspect it does the same thing to malassezia, which is also a dimorphic yeast, like candida, that can build biofilms on our stratum corneum..