Notifications
Clear all

#1 Foundations For Acne-Prone Skin

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/01/2014 6:39 pm

Just thought Id post a topic where people can post their foundation recommendations as I see a lot of people asking about good foundations on here so I thought if there was a topic where people could recommend and discuss it would make it super easy!

Also I think finding a good foundation is SO difficult and whenever I feel like trying something new I can never find any good recommendations for people with acne-prone skin anywhere. So here are my recommendations:

Estee Lauder Double Wear- This is what I would call my "holy grail" foundation. I know it will stand the test in all situations, nights out, hot weather anything. The coverage is amazing all my pigmentation is covered and skin tone looks even. I would highly recommend this foundation for anyone with red marks from acne. Its pretty expensive but I feel its worth it as it gives me confidence in my appearance.

Makeup Forever Mat Velvet+- Another one of my favorite foundations. I wouldnt say it is as full coverage or long lasting as the double wear but it is more natural looking. I prefer this for during the day then my double wear at night. It keeps shine at bay but I would recommend setting it with a powder just to be sure.

Both are described as non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. Neither have broken me out (I think).

Im excited to see other peoples recommendations.

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 06/05/2014 3:04 pm

Nice topic! I can recommend revlon color stay for oily skin. Good coverage! also clinic acne solutions is OK... and I love everyday minerals products.

MemberMember
(@trimlantana)

Posted : 06/24/2014 12:28 am

I love double wear. I would never leave my room without it.

MemberMember
(@dawgdaze64)

Posted : 06/25/2014 8:43 pm

Ditto to Double Wear. AMAZING foundation. Heavy coverage, yes, but it doesn't budge. If Lauder discontinues it, I would probably fly to their offices to protest in person.

Almay Truly Lasting Color 16 Hour is a close second.

I've tried 'em all, and these two work best for my skin.

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 06/26/2014 4:44 am

Double wear light for me, still great coverage and oil control and I love the squeezy bottle too. I find double wear too heavy for me and a bit cakey on my skin, but my skin is now a bit more on the dry side since being on the pill for a year.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/26/2014 7:45 am

Double wear light for me, still great coverage and oil control and I love the squeezy bottle too. I find double wear too heavy for me and a bit cakey on my skin, but my skin is now a bit more on the dry side since being on the pill for a year.

Ive been interested in double wear light, I tried a sample but I couldnt apply it properly it stuck to all my dry patches awfully and looked cakey. How do you apply it?

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 06/26/2014 8:20 am

I know what you mean, I need to moisturise really well and I get the best application with a damp beauty blender, I use the real techniques one, I find it helps blend a lot better and gives a really nice finish.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/26/2014 8:46 am

Ah okay I see I tried to use a stippling foundation brush and I just couldnt get the foundation on my face I have the real techniques beauty blender dupe so I might get a new sample and give it a try with that thanks!

gkitten25 liked
MemberMember
(@hamadryad)

Posted : 06/28/2014 3:44 am

Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet + really is amazing (as long as you moisturize beforehand, since it can emphasize flaky spots). My freckles show through, so it's definitely more of a natural, medium coverage foundation. I've had people thinking I wasn't wearing any makeup. My skin is incredibly sensitive, and I've experienced exactly zero breakouts from this product.

It's not foundation, but I highly recommend NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer for hiding post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, especially if you're an uber-pale girl like me.

gkitten25 liked
MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/30/2014 3:53 pm

It's pricey, but when I wear foundation I use Lacome's Teint Miracle. It has SPF in it, and it gives me that "lit from within" look without making my skin appear greasy - in fact, it's quite matte. It builds very well, and it does not break me out in the slightest. It also has pretty great staying power for oily skin and doesn't cake on dry flaky skin (I know because I used it before I started accutane when my skin was very oily, and while on accutane when my skin was a dry flakey mess). The only con is the price. It's definitely pricey. My bottle lasts about 3-4 months if I use it everyday, and much longer if I use it only occasionally.

MemberMember
(@stephyira)

Posted : 07/02/2014 2:00 am

Bare minerals!!! It's non comedogic, healthier alternative, has SPF, and is more natural looking. I moisturize with cetaphil, the light weight kind and let it absorb. I then apply Prime time by Bare Minerals and let it dry for 30 secs. I mix two foundations to get my perfect shade and apply it with thier concealer brush. Don't use their other brushes though because their brushes tend to have a scratchy feeling on your skin. Their concealer brush is synthetic and soft to the touch so that one is okay. Anyways... I finish up with their tinted mineral veil. I have moderate to severe acne. It's sucks! Just being patient and following the regimen. I can't wait to get clear. I rather cover my face with makeup than for ppl to judge me. My goal is to get completely clear with the regimen and then slowly stop using makeup. #Determined #cantWait #itSucks #waiting4thisBPto absorb&dry lol

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 07/02/2014 2:46 pm

Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet + really is amazing (as long as you moisturize beforehand, since it can emphasize flaky spots). My freckles show through, so it's definitely more of a natural, medium coverage foundation. I've had people thinking I wasn't wearing any makeup. My skin is incredibly sensitive, and I've experienced exactly zero breakouts from this product.

It's not foundation, but I highly recommend NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer for hiding post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, especially if you're an ¼ber-pale girl like me.

I love that Nars concealer :)

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 07/02/2014 8:43 pm

I like Maia's Mineral Galaxy foundation. It doesn't look as nice as some other foundations, but it is the only foundation I have found that does not clog me.

MemberMember
(@aeris7)

Posted : 07/03/2014 4:29 am

Physicians Formula BB or CC cream. They're both good.

MemberMember
(@divatoots)

Posted : 07/03/2014 6:34 am

I love Estee Lauder double wear too, it has a matte finish which is great for shiny oily skin types. However I hate the packaging! I wish it had a pump. The maximum cover version used sparingly is good too but they have discontinued my colour...outrage!

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 07/03/2014 9:04 pm

I love Estee Lauder double wear too, it has a matte finish which is great for shiny oily skin types. However I hate the packaging! I wish it had a pump. The maximum cover version used sparingly is good too but they have discontinued my colour...outrage!

A MAC foundation pump fits on the double wear bottle it was such a pain using it before I bought one!

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 07/04/2014 9:34 am

Ive been using Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation for the last 4 years and love it ! It has awesome coverage but you have to be careful when applying it or it will look heavy. This is by far the best foundation I have ever used.

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 07/05/2014 1:48 am

bella piere mineral foundation to cover up red marks and

jane iredale bb cream (a little bit) to even out the skin tone

both are my holy grails and actually pretty healthy too (check out the ingredients)

i heard about Double Wear a lot of times but i dont know about putting a really heavy foundation on?

MemberMember
(@becky3991)

Posted : 07/06/2014 6:26 pm

Estee Lauder Double Wear is a life-saver!

I rely on this product WAY too much. Leaving the house without it is not an option! Although it is very heavy, and can sometimes cake, it covers 99.9% of my redness. Sadly, you can still see the bumpy texture of any active acne, but getting rid of the redness makes me feel so much better. Plus, it does last a very long time and I usually only have to reapply during the day on my nose where the skin is VERY oily.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 07/07/2014 4:39 pm

Ive been using Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation for the last 4 years and love it ! It has awesome coverage but you have to be careful when applying it or it will look heavy. This is by far the best foundation I have ever used.

I second this. Nice coverage, but I don't find it cakey. I do use the beauty blender to apply it though! I tried experimenting with other make-up (Kat Von D foundation, MUFE Mat Velvet+, etc.) but I keep going back to this one. Kat Von D foundation was too cakey, blotchy and smeary. Very disappointing. Mat Velvet+, on the other hand, was decent.

For all of you ladies residing in the UK, the foundation is sold under the label, "Vichy Dermafinish" (I'm petty sure they are the same thing, the ingredients are all the same).

I have yet to try Double Wear but I have been wanting too.

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 07/07/2014 4:58 pm

I don't find it cakey at all either I love it!! Glad you like it too but Im very disappointed to find out that Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation is being discontinued :( Ive been going to every department store buying up my color,

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 07/07/2014 7:39 pm

Second the dermablend, the stuff can cover a tattoo so it's great for acne prone ppl. However I do notice that even after an hour wearing it my face can turn really oily so make sure you use lots of setting powder. A nice tip from gossmakeupartist on youtube is to powder your face BEFORE you put your foundation on. It keeps foundation in place a lot better than doing it the other way around. Such a genius trick.

Also since dermablend is pricey most days I wear Cover Girl's Aquasmooth foundation. That stuff is SOOO nice. It's almost like a creamy powder consistance but it's actually labeled a cream. It has medium to light coverage but easily buildable with a beauty blender or sponge. Make sure you dab it on more than wipe it on. This stuff is super cheap like $9 at Walmart. I'm buff beige, some of the other colors are a bit on the pink side so I stay with that one. The packaging is my only negative with it, it looks pretty 90s but hey it works great and is really cheap.

Does anyone have any good BB cream recs for those on the regimen? My face is ofc dry and peeling on the regimen but then also oily throughout the day. The Garnier BB cream caused peeling or something weird when I tried it on today. Little rolls of skin or the product were all over my face as I rubbed it on, bummer :/

MemberMember
(@carena)

Posted : 07/27/2014 6:54 am

I love RCMA foundation. It is a cream, which scared me at first with acne-prone skin. It has never broken me out and I've been using it for a couple years. The ingredients are minimal. I have to apply it with a Beauty Blender or my nose flakies will act up. It's pricey but lasts longer than the same size in liquid foundation.

I also occasionally use Kett Hydro foundation. It is an airbrush makeup but I apply it with a Beauty Blender as well. The ingredients are minimal and it doesn't break me out. I can't use this one too many days in a row because it will make my nose flakies act up. A day or two is fine though.

For comparison sake: My skin is acne-prone, mostly oily but with dry patches on my chin and the border of my nose. My makeup cannot emphasize dry patches. I work long shifts (12-14 hours) so whatever makeup I use must be able to last a really long time with no reapplication and minimal blotting. I live in the desert so it also must last in 110F heat. These are the only two that have worked for me.

MemberMember
(@dawgdaze64)

Posted : 07/27/2014 2:30 pm

I love RCMA foundation. It is a cream, which scared me at first with acne-prone skin. It has never broken me out and I've been using it for a couple years. The ingredients are minimal. I have to apply it with a Beauty Blender or my nose flakies will act up. It's pricey but lasts longer than the same size in liquid foundation.

I also occasionally use Kett Hydro foundation. It is an airbrush makeup but I apply it with a Beauty Blender as well. The ingredients are minimal and it doesn't break me out. I can't use this one too many days in a row because it will make my nose flakies act up. A day or two is fine though.

For comparison sake: My skin is acne-prone, mostly oily but with dry patches on my chin and the border of my nose. My makeup cannot emphasize dry patches. I work long shifts (12-14 hours) so whatever makeup I use must be able to last a really long time with no reapplication and minimal blotting. I live in the desert so it also must last in 110F heat. These are the only two that have worked for me.

Your skin sounds like mine, and I live in the hot dry desert as well. I'll have to check these out. I'm pretty loyal to Estee Lauder, but am always looking for BETTER!

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 07/27/2014 11:55 pm

I love Estee too. I use the max cover version of double wear. It is some seriously intense coverage, but I like it because I can just put a little dab of it in my moisturizer when I want just some light coverage, like for work or everyday stuff. If I want more coverage for a fancy event or something, I just put a bit more foundation and a bit less moisturizer, so it's very versatile. Also, at full strength it makes a great concealer for a couple red marks I have, so I just dab a bit in places where I need extra coverage and it blends in beautifully, instead of having to use a separate concealer and try to match it.

I think the regular double wear is probably great too, I just like how versatile this one is because I can use it stronger or make my own 'tinted moisturizer' out of it and it takes the smallest amount so I don't feel like I'm wearing so much makeup.