Notifications
Clear all

Sarah's Epic Adventure For Clear Skin And A Better Well-Being

MemberMember
(@sarah-likes-cats)

Posted : 05/30/2014 12:08 pm

Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm about to depart on a huge journey. Not only will I be on Accutane, I will also be using Latisse (which is an eyelash enhancement product), and I am starting Zoloft. I'll go into the Latisse and Zoloft later. I am starting all of these medications at once so it could be a rough ride.

A little background information about my experience with acne and my skin type. I started having acne in my late teens and I am now 22 years old. My acne started as small blackheads and whiteheads that were manageable. Subsequently, my acne developed into papules and pustules which would leave me with scars. When I was 20 I began to get cysts on my face and on my back. I never suffered more than two or three cysts at one time on my face, although they would be there for weeks and leave very red deep scars. My skin type has always been sensitive and dry so covering up my acne is a major challenge for me. Makeup aggravated my acne and my dry skin made it inconceivable to use foundation without looking like a cake face. Very frustrating.

Before being prescribed Accutane I tried various acne treatments. I tried Proactiv, Differn, Exposed Skin Care, every drugstore product known to man and Tetrocycilne. I also tried many natural acne treatments including; Manuka Honey, Apple Cider Vinigar both as a toner and as a drink, tea tree oil, raw aloe, lemon, and only eating raw foods (uncooked, unprocessed and usually organic. No dairy, only sprouted grains. So basically fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains and I also ate fish.). I tried everything I could get my hands on and my acne wouldn't budge.

My acne is very persistent and although compared to most people, it's mild or perhaps moderate. And I realize I don't have it that bad, at least I'm expecting to hear people say that.

Here is why I am going on Accutane. The fact that I've received no relief from my acne has completely changed me as a person. I'm very insecure and have slowly turned into a recluse. The reason I was prescribed Zoloft was for my anxiety which is caused because of my acne. Going out in public is painful. Having a social life? Yeah, right. I've become so nervous about people judging me because of my skin that I've developed a small case of trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder). And that's why I have a prescription for Latisse because when I'm feeling stressed and anxious I unknowingly pull out my eyelashes.

I know this log is going to be one of the weird, probably impossible to relate to events. I just figured sharing my experiences with others could honestly help me be a sounder, stronger person and perhaps it could help others.

I am starting on 30mg of Accutane once a day. I weigh 108 pounds so I assume that dosage is normal for my weight. I am starting on 50mg of Zoloft once a day which is a very normal dosage for anxiety. And I have 5ml of Latisse which I will use every night.

I've decided that Monday June 1st is going to be the day that I embark on my treatments.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 05/30/2014 12:33 pm

Good luck to you on your journey!

Please change your screen name as looking at your picture I see very beautiful young woman. Your skin does not define you! How you feel about yourself is the MOST important and even if you don't feel beautiful yet you shouldn't put yourself down like that. Even if you change it to 'Sarah' that would be better. Think about it.

MemberMember
(@breakitoutnow)

Posted : 05/30/2014 3:40 pm

Hi Sarah,

Good luck on your journey! I know how scary it can seem starting out, but just take everything in stride and realize that, while it may be hell in the mean time (or it may very well go smoothly), in a few months you will emerge far more confident and ready to take on the world! I know exactly how you feel about becoming a recluse. I'm 21 and instead of living up my youth I'm stuck inside moisturizing, avoiding mirrors, and watching netflix. But that's why I am making the effort to get this under control with Accutane, and I'm glad to see you are too! I'm about two weeks ahead of you and while there have been good days and bad days (today isn't so hot), I feel a lot better knowing that I'm doing something that could greatly improve my quality of life.

Sounds like you've got a lot going on and while I'm sure you can handle it, try and develop a support network of friends, family, coworkers who know what you are going through and can help you through the bad days. It has been very helpful for me to just be honest with those around me and explain my situation. Everyone is really understanding.

As I said, good luck with everything and don't put too much emphasis on the log. It's nice to document your journey and get support from others but don't use the journals as an excuse to pick apart every flaw with your skin. I've fallen into that trap and I'm making sure I don't do it anymore. Just know that while it could be a bumpy ride, it almost always has a great payoff at the finish line!

P.S. I agree with Hope7, you are most definitely not gross. You're in good company here with people who know your struggles. The sooner we all begin to value ourselves beyond our acne and the issues it has caused us, the happier we will be. It's tough to find peace with flawed skin, but I think it will make us much stronger, more compassionate, and more self-aware when we finally get clear.

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 05/30/2014 3:43 pm

I agree Sarah isn't gross :) Stay strong buttercup, we got this! Good luck to you and keep us updated

MemberMember
(@anniebearvu)

Posted : 05/30/2014 3:49 pm

I just started Accutane today too with the same dosage as you. Hopefully, it works out well for the both of us and we'll have beautiful, flawless skin soon!

MemberMember
(@sarah-likes-cats)

Posted : 05/30/2014 4:47 pm

Gross is actually my last name. I see now that my pun on my name probably isn't appropriate on this website. Haha

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/30/2014 6:31 pm

Hello dear! Much luck on your journey. It's going to be tough, but so worth it in the end.

I actually really relate to your story. I started to pull my hair out (head, eyebrows, eyelashes) when I was pretty young as a way to de-stress. Used to have bald patches but it got better with the years, although I still catch myself doing it from time to time.

Good luck again, and keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@bordercol71)

Posted : 05/31/2014 8:19 am

Hi Sarah!

I just wanted to give you some tips on using Latisse...I am an Aesthetic RN and I have been using Latisse for the past 7 weeks and I love it! I ditched those horrible brushes that it comes with. They are WAY too big and suck up a ton of the product. I just use an eyeliner brush to apply it. I put 1 drop of the solution into to cap of the container and dip my brush in and it's enough to cover both eyes...I even have extra to use on the tales of my brows. :) this method makes it last twice as long. I am not worried about keeping it sterile because when I use mascara or eyeliner it's obviously not sterile and I have never had a problem using this method.

The first 3 weeks I experienced dry eye, minor irritation an sensitivity...all of this is normal and it subsided after 3 weeks of use. I am loving the results. I have already gotten compliments on my lashes and they are noticeably thicker and longer already. I love this stuff!

Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@catmama)

Posted : 05/31/2014 10:49 am

Just watched to chime in some positivity... and loving that name change! Cat lover here.. ;)

MemberMember
(@sarah-likes-cats)

Posted : 05/31/2014 11:02 am

I just started Accutane today too with the same dosage as you. Hopefully, it works out well for the both of us and we'll have beautiful, flawless skin soon!

Hi Annie! I sincerely hope it works for the both of us! Have you experienced any side effects so far?

Hello dear! Much luck on your journey. It's going to be tough, but so worth it in the end.

I actually really relate to your story. I started to pull my hair out (head, eyebrows, eyelashes) when I was pretty young as a way to de-stress. Used to have bald patches but it got better with the years, although I still catch myself doing it from time to time.

Hi Crimson Storm! Yeah its been difficult for me to even talk about my Trichotillomania. I honestly feel like no one else understands. Although I know that's not necessarily true. I'm very glad that someone on here can relate to me with that. It gives me hope. :)

MemberMember
(@sarah-likes-cats)

Posted : 05/31/2014 11:58 am

Hi Sarah!

I just wanted to give you some tips on using Latisse...I am an Aesthetic RN and I have been using Latisse for the past 7 weeks and I love it! I ditched those horrible brushes that it comes with. They are WAY too big and suck up a ton of the product. I just use an eyeliner brush to apply it. I put 1 drop of the solution into to cap of the container and dip my brush in and it's enough to cover both eyes...I even have extra to use on the tales of my brows. this method makes it last twice as long. I am not worried about keeping it sterile because when I use mascara or eyeliner it's obviously not sterile and I have never had a problem using this method.

The first 3 weeks I experienced dry eye, minor irritation an sensitivity...all of this is normal and it subsided after 3 weeks of use. I am loving the results. I have already gotten compliments on my lashes and they are noticeably thicker and longer already. I love this stuff!

Good luck!!

Wow, you have already seen results after 3 weeks?! This is astonishing to hear Bordercol71! And thanks so much for the hint about the brushes. For how expensive this stuff is I want to make it last!

MemberMember
(@anniebearvu)

Posted : 05/31/2014 11:59 am

Hi Annie! I sincerely hope it works for the both of us! Have you experienced any side effects so far?

>Hello dear! Much luck on your journey. It's going to be tough, but so worth it in the end.

Hi Crimson Storm! Yeah its been difficult for me to even talk about my Trichotillomania. I honestly feel like no one else understands. Although I know that's not necessarily true. I'm very glad that someone on here can relate to me with that. It gives me hope.

I hope so too! Fingers crossed. The only side effect that I have so far are dry lips, but it isn't unbearable. I'm stocked on aquaphor, so I'm prepared for it. I also woke up with less oil on my face this morning, which made me happy. How about you, Sarah? How's your accutane journey so far?

MemberMember
(@sarah-likes-cats)

Posted : 06/01/2014 1:29 pm

Whoops, I suppose today is the first not Monday. Silly me. I forgot to note that I had extractions and was prescribed Tretinoin cream before I started Accutane. My derm wanted to get my acne in control so my IB wouldn't be so horrible. Astonishingly, my face looks so much better after my dermatologist did my extractions and the Tretinoin cream really has helped. My face hasn't looked so well in ages. Although I feel some cysts lurking in my cheeks, chin, around my mouth and I don't even want to babble about my back...This photograph does not give any justice to how my acne has been. Also natural lighting is my best friend.

I just took my first dose of Accutane with my breakfast. I'm already anxious. I'm going to take my Zoloft after dinner and apply my Latisse after I shower before bed.

I am so excited that I'm being proactive finally!

Here are the products I'm going to use on my journey.

Cetaphil face wash

Cetaphil moisturizer

Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 60+

Vaseline (for my under and upper eyelids to prevent Irritation from the Latisse)

Aquaphor (for my lips)

Vitamin E oil

Derma E Hair Skin and Nail Oil

If anyone has any suggestions on products please tell me.

post-400084-0-78606900-1401647123.png

post-400084-0-78606900-1401647123.png