Notifications
Clear all

Excision Surgery..finally! (Pics)

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/27/2014 5:26 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here, I had excision performed 4 days ago, I have 17 stitches on my both cheek. Just went back from follow up consultation with my plastic surgeon to see the progress of my excision. He said that everything look good and he will take the stitches out 3 days from now. If this turn out well, next month I'll have more excision, finger crossed!! But he said I don't need more excision cause the rest of scar too small and shallow, like a scare pores. I'll keep you guys update with more picture once I have all the stitches out!!

post-399337-0-79317100-1401186020_thumb.

MemberMember
(@chrissyc)

Posted : 05/27/2014 2:58 pm

That is exciting! Have you tried any other procedures before doing this? I'm thinking I may have to bite the bullet and go for a surgical solution. Keep us posted! Any before pics so I can see the scars you had treated?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 05/27/2014 3:26 pm

Wow that looks intense. I've had quite a few excisions myself, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Good luck with healing.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 05/27/2014 7:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here, I had excision performed 4 days ago, I have 17 stitches on my both cheek. Just went back from follow up consultation with my plastic surgeon to see the progress of my excision. He said that everything look good and he will take the stitches out 3 days from now. If this turn out well, next month I'll have more excision, finger crossed!! But he said I don't need more excision cause the rest of scar too small and shallow, like a scare pores. I'll keep you guys update with more picture once I have all the stitches out!!

cheers to you on doing some thing about you scars. a couple questions. what kind of scarring did you have treated? what kind of excision was it scalpel excision or punch? **very important ** last but not least did your surgeon perform a double stiching or singular stitching? all that plays a very important role. also laser might be a good idea too even everything out. good luck!

Wow that looks intense. I've had quite a few excisions myself, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Good luck with healing.

how did your excisions turn out>?

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/27/2014 8:06 pm

ChrissyC, I have before picture post in my gallery, but I'll post in here so everyone here can see. I suffered from acne since 16 years old, never have scars before, last year after finished course of Accutane, my face was so clear for a few months before I start to brokeout all over my face and every acne leave scars on my face.

After waiting period of Accutane, I started to treat my scars, I have tried pixel RF and dermarolling, didn't do anything with scars, my dermatologist burned my temple with laser. So now beside scars, I also have burn mark to treat. I was so scare to do anything else would give more damage to my face, I'll have no healthy skin on my face.

I didn't do anything with my face for a month until one night when I was making fruit salad and accidentaly cut a flesh on my finger. I freaked out, I'll have scar on my finger!! My boyfriend put ointment on my finger and keep it moist. The wound heal perfectly flat with the rest of the skin. It made me thinking that my body have an ability to heal itself maybe because I was on Accutane before, somehow it effected how my body heal. But of course everyone heal differently.

I've done research about excision so I made appointment with 2 dermatologist and 2 plastic surgeon, decided to go with the last surgeon cause he suggested excision and then dermabrasion to smooth out while other suggested ematrix, dermarolling and filler. These scars bother me a lot so I took a risk with surgery, so here I'm now, 5 days post surgery, still too early to tell the result, I'll have stitches out on Friday, I'll keep you guys update for sure!! (Sorry for long post)

post-399337-0-04969100-1401256116_thumb.

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/27/2014 8:56 pm

Hi everyone,

cheers to you on doing some thing about you scars. a couple questions. what kind of scarring did you have treated? what kind of excision was it scalpel excision or punch? **very important ** last but not least did your surgeon perform a double stiching or singular stitching? all that plays a very important role. also laser might be a good idea too even everything out. good luck!

Thanks no_hope!! Any suggestion what kind of laser? cause from my last experience, I scare that laser will burn my skin, my dermatologist burn my temple!! My PS suggested dermabrasion instead but don't think I can handle the downtime.

I have mostly boxcar scars, my PS use scalpel, he said that punch tool use by dermatologist cause they don't feel confidence with scalpel. I did ask him about stitching, he only use double stitching for my deep scar and for shallow scar he use single stitching.

Do you have excision before or you're planning to?

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/27/2014 10:36 pm

G'day everyone!! Hope everyone have a great day!!

Just looked at all of my pics a year ago before I have scars, I feel a bit down today. I wish that I had more patience with my acne, I wouldn't end up with scars. Last October 2013, I changed my dermatologist, she prescribed me birth pill control and topical retinoid since then my acne cleared up and until now I never have breakout!! She said that my acne due to hormonal and genetic, my previous dermatologist didn't know about that or careless, she prescribed me antibiotic all the time, didn't help much. But I couldn't turn back time, I just have to deal with it, I'll never have perfect skin but I'll improve my scars so I'll be happy and live with it!!

So this is pic how my excision look like today, straight line, no indentation and still red. Hopefully after stitches out it will keep improving, finger crossed!!

Anyway, I have a few questions :

1. I still have a few scar that I want to excise, but yesterday when I had consult with my PS, he said I don't need anymore excision cause the rest of scars too shallow like scare pores. But I really want to get rid of these scars, any suggestion?

2. I have one weird scar, it's hard to explain it. This scar is wide and not indented, but have soft edges so it looks like indented if I have make up on. I was thinking to have dermal graft but my PS said it's not worth it cause I'll end up with discoloration and lump cause this scar is really shallow. Anyone have experience with dermal graft? Do you think I could dermal graft my scar?

Cheers

post-399337-0-51790100-1401248184_thumb.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 05/28/2014 2:41 am

@NoHope

Some turned out great, some virtually no change, and unfortunately some turned out disastrously. The interesting thing is that all the bad ones happened after I took Accutane. I suspect that in some people, the skin's healing ability is permanently affected by Accutane, since it permanently shrinks the oil glands.

Poppy, remember to keep all your excisions taped with steri-strips for a few weeks once the stitches are removed to prevent them from stretching under tension.

Hi everyone,

how did your excisions turn out>?

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/28/2014 3:05 am

@NoHope

Some turned out great, some virtually no change, and unfortunately some turned out disastrously. The interesting thing is that all the bad ones happened after I took Accutane. I suspect that in some people, the skin's healing ability is permanently affected by Accutane, since it permanently shrinks the oil glands.

Poppy, remember to keep all your excisions taped with steri-strips for a few weeks once the stitches are removed to prevent them from stretching under tension.

Sorry to hear about your excision, how many scars you have excised? Can you re-excise fail one? How many % improvement you get from excision? And how long it will take until the redness gone?

I wish I never took Accutane, it cause all my scars, I've oily skin before and a good healer, my skin never scarred even I zit my pimples. Accutane affect my healing ability but hopefully the side effect has gone by now.

Yes I'll put steri-strips for a week, thanks!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 05/28/2014 4:20 am

I think you should try to keep them taped for a few weeks if possible to maximize the results. Well at this point, I've already done many rounds of fillers and recently dermabrasion to smooth out the failed excisions. Luckily, it has greatly improved the really bad ones. At one point, I looked into having them re-excised, but all the surgeons who looked at me refused, probably because they saw that I did not heal well, and it would have most likely failed again.

I'm guessing you are Asian? I have Asian skin as well, and it will typically be very red and may darken for at least a couple months. Of course you can camouflage it with makeup. You can speed that up with retin-a, hydroquinone, and lots of sunscreen. I think that once you stop with the steri-strips you can also use those silicone sheets at night to help the wounds heal.

It's hard to say if Accutane caused the scars, or if the acne would have scarred anyway. In my case, my acne was severe and already scarring my skin and so I had no choice but to use Accutane. I've read that some people feel like their skin was much more fragile and prone to scarring after Accutane, which is plausible since Accutane does thin the skin and permanently shrink the oil glands (which is important to healing).

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/28/2014 5:50 am

I think you should try to keep them taped for a few weeks if possible to maximize the results. Well at this point, I've already done many rounds of fillers and recently dermabrasion to smooth out the failed excisions which actually became even more indented. Luckily, it has greatly improved the really bad ones. At one point, I looked into having them re-excised, but all the surgeons who looked at me refused, probably because they saw that I did not heal well, and it would have most likely failed again.

I'm guessing you are Asian? I have Asian skin as well, and it will typically be very red and may darken for at least a couple months. Of course you can camouflage it with makeup. You can speed that up with retin-a, hydroquinone, and lots of sunscreen. I think that once you stop with the steri-strips you can also use those silicone sheets at night to help the wounds heal.

It's hard to say if Accutane caused the scars, or if the acne would have scarred anyway. In my case, my acne was severe and already scarring my skin and so I had no choice but to use Accutane. I've read that some people feel like their skin was much more fragile and prone to scarring after Accutane, which is plausible since Accutane does thin the skin and permanently shrink the oil glands (which is important to healing).

Yes, I'm Asian and next month I'll start new job, a bit concern about redness. Glad to hear it could be cover up with make up.

My PS suggested dermabrasion after excision, but don't think I could handle the downtime with dermabrasion.

Thanks for sharing your experience with excision, hope you could improve your scars..

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 05/28/2014 9:23 am

Dermabrasion is very very aggressive. The downtime is brutal, but it is possible to get significant results. However, it is very risky on Asian skin in general.

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/28/2014 11:21 am

Dermabrasion is very very aggressive. The downtime is brutal, but it is possible to get significant results. However, it is very risky on Asian skin in general.

Jeez..I think I have to think twice to get dermabrasion, it scared me out.

MemberMember
(@chrissyc)

Posted : 05/28/2014 3:29 pm

Hi Poppy!

You posted on my thread about subcision/filler. Your scars look like some of mine, so very excited to see how your healing progresses! Pls keep us posted! what are you doing for aftercare?

Did you only have one side of your face done? How does the other side look? Less scarring?

MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 05/28/2014 3:39 pm

exiting i brought up once a long time ago why we cant have our scars cut out and sawn up to make the skin tighter !

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/28/2014 9:23 pm

On 5/29/2014 at 4:29 AM, ChrissyC said:

Hi Poppy!

You posted on my thread about subcision/filler. Your scars look like some of mine, so very excited to see how your healing progresses! Pls keep us posted! what are you doing for aftercare?

Did you only have one side of your face done? How does the other side look? Less scarring?

Hi Chrissy,

Yes I know you from your post :)

I'll definitely keep everyone update.

For aftercare, I put ointment (it called Lucas Papaw, made from papaya and petroleum jelly), I used this when I had cut on my finger, it help with healing process and keep it moist. I don't wash my face, keep the wound away from water, put steri-strip to prevent the wound stretching cause I have a lot of skin removed.

I have both cheek excised, I have 5 stitches on my left cheek and 1 stitch on my forehead. My left cheek have shallow scarring, my PS said it will be improve with dermabrasion.

Aah forgot to mention you one thing, my mum gave me a ginseng capsules everyday, I don't know whether it help with the healing process or not, I did research on the internet and I found this link :

[Edited link out]

Ginseng help treat skin diseases like acne and eczema. It also increase collagen production in the middle layer of skin (dermis), people have scars mostly because they lack of collagen production. No wonder most of Korean have a nice skin, maybe because they drink ginseng regularly. Duh, I wish my mum told me about this earlier.

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/28/2014 9:50 pm

exiting i brought up once a long time ago why we cant have our scars cut out and sawn up to make the skin tighter !

Sometimes I look at the mirror and stretch my skin, all my scars visually gone.

My PS done excision mostly for deep and big scars on my cheek, after excision I had a lot of skin removed, it make my skin tighter and the rest of my scars that he didn't excise become shallower look like scarred pores. I schedule to have 2nd excision but my PS think that I don't need it anymore, but I really want to get rid all of my scars, just a thought, if I had 2nd excision, maybe my skin become tighter and smoother!!

Rob_X_22 liked
MemberMember
(@oran31000)

Posted : 05/29/2014 10:21 am

hello.Update please .i am french i not speak English

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/29/2014 10:45 am

hello.Update please .i am french i not speak English

Hi oran31000

I'll update and post picture tomorrow after my plastic surgeon take out all the stitches. Sorry I can't speak French but I hope you understand :)

MemberMember
(@zavvi)

Posted : 05/29/2014 11:22 am

poppy keep us all updated good luck with your healing. Does your plastic surgon have a lot of experience in doing this what kind of results did he say you can expect.

MemberMember
(@doberman992)

Posted : 05/29/2014 11:33 am

Hello... can you tell me how much did u pay this? whats an avarage price for doing something with plastic surgeon on face?

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 05/29/2014 12:17 pm

poppy keep us all updated good luck with your healing. Does your plastic surgon have a lot of experience in doing this what kind of results did he say you can expect.

Hi zavvi.

Thanks! I'll have stitches take out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated. I'm pretty sure my PS have a lot of experience in acne scar revision, I had consultation with different surgeons before I choose him.

He make sure that I know with this procedure it will trade scar with a scar but it will be a flat line scar, less visible and it will be fade in time, after care take a role how the wound will heal. But any surgery carry a risks and everyone heal differently.

I don't mind with flat line scar , as long as it's not a hole. My PS said I could expect 70-90% improvement but he doesn't really like to give percentage cause everyone heal differently, I know there will be no 100% improvement cause I will still have scar but it will be less visible or visually gone!!

Hello... can you tell me how much did u pay this? whats an avarage price for doing something with plastic surgeon on face?

Hi..

Average price for excision range from $250-$750 per excision. It will be depend on how many scars you'll have excise. From where I come from, my PS charge $100-$200 per excision, I have 17 excisions so I paid $1700 in total.

MemberMember
(@doberman992)

Posted : 05/29/2014 1:03 pm

So u did that in USA? Does anyone know good surgeon here in Europe?

MemberMember
(@zavvi)

Posted : 05/29/2014 1:16 pm

I cant quote poppy but it sounds good does your plastic surgon have any before and after pics? on excision would you mind telling me here or in prvate message who you got this done by?. Its good that you went a lot of consultations. I understand its trading a scar for a scar but I am currently looking into a technique that wont leave any scar when getting excision

MemberMember
(@oran31000)

Posted : 05/29/2014 1:34 pm

patrice hilligot in paris is formidable chirurgien french