Notifications
Clear all

Hypertrophic Scar, Keloid, Active Acne And Backne Treatment

MemberMember
(@jonnycalc)

Posted : 05/21/2014 10:38 pm

I've been struggling with acne for a while now and recently decided to seek professional treatment. I have tried retin a, clindamycin, BP, salicylic acid, sulfacetamide and others for my active acne. I am yet to try accutane however, should I?

My biggest concern though is for my hypertrophic scars on both cheeks and forehead. Which treatment works best for the type of scars i have. Dermapen, fraxel? im not a candidate for co2 fraction laser because of my dark skin. What do you suggest based on my pictures? They look worse in person

suggestions??

MemberMember
(@jonnycalc)

Posted : 06/05/2014 3:46 am

So i have visited a few derms, each suggesting different expensive treatment which as a student cant afford. Anyways, are these infact hypertrophic scars? and will needling help?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 06/05/2014 8:45 am

i dont know about needling but can you get them injected with 5-fu? i have hyertrophic scars that arent that raised so i am going to get dermabrasion on them and see where it gets me. i tried co2 but it didnt flatten them enough but for yours i cant see why they cant inject them. the injections shouldnt be too expensive either.

MemberMember
(@jonnycalc)

Posted : 06/05/2014 12:27 pm

I have gotten injections for the bigger ones on the jaw line (those are keloids) for a while, it has helped. The smaller ones are hypertrophic or some kind of inflammatory acne scars (can somebody tell me what those are actually??), the derms arent conclusive and they wouldnt inject because they feel it would be ineffective and also for risk of denting. (should i find another derm?)

i tried self needling yesterday actually as suggested by a derm who wanted to do the dermapen and also by a doc online, well woke up today looking much worse, the smaller scars were actually getting less noticeable on their own but now my god it is worse. I am sure it is an inflammatory response to the needling hopefully it is not permanent but i am not hopeful. (for future dermarollers, use test spots, i did not)

suggestions?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/05/2014 2:37 pm

I don't think you should dermaroll on inflammed skin. It's hard to say if that's acne or actual hypertrophic scars. Regardless, either would be flattened by cortisone injections. Sounds like your doctor is too timid and unsure to be treating your scars. He does not sound experienced. I also don't get why they would suggested dermapen when you issue is raised scarring. I don't see any major indentations. These doctors sound intellectually lazy and are just giving you some canned, off the shelf treatment plans.

@tracy.... dermabrasion does work to flatten raised areas. It works better for this than for acne scars, I would say. Just look at photos of people who have severe rhinophyma, who get dermabrasion to contour the areas of hypertrophic scarring.

I have gotten injections for the bigger ones on the jaw line (those are keloids) for a while, it has helped. The smaller ones are hypertrophic or some kind of inflammatory acne scars (can somebody tell me what those are actually??), the derms arent conclusive and they wouldnt inject because they feel it would be ineffective and also for risk of denting. (should i find another derm?)

i tried self needling yesterday actually as suggested by a derm who wanted to do the dermapen and also by a doc online, well woke up today looking much worse, the smaller scars were actually getting less noticeable on their own but now my god it is worse. I am sure it is an inflammatory response to the needling hopefully it is not permanent but i am not hopeful. (for future dermarollers, use test spots, i did not)

suggestions?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/05/2014 5:03 pm

I agree with Blahblah. I don't understand why your doctor recommended needling or Dermapen on raised scars. I would think it could make matters significantly worse. I also can't tell if those are actual scars or inflamed skin from active acne. If it is acne, you definitely shouldn't be needling. If I were you, I would stop needling and seek the advice of a dermatologist that is experienced with treating your skin type.

Considering your skin type, I am not sure dermabrasion would be safe option. I would try injections.

MemberMember
(@jonnycalc)

Posted : 06/06/2014 1:33 am

Inspired, it has made matters significantly worse and i do regret even trying it, but it has happened. I was hoping it would improve as the day went by but it is actually still getting worse and my face is now really oily. Derma rolling isnt for everyone. Made an appointment with the derm in 2 weeks.

I do have very dark skin so i dont know if dermabrasion would work for me, and these are pretty big bumps now.

I should mention that this scars on both my cheeks have been there for 3-5 years now, and they are i would say from acne as i do suffer from severe acne. I am not sure exactly what kind of scars they are. They are raised, skin colored, not itchy, firm, no cyst or liquid comes out when punctured. At first i thouht they were sebacious hyperplasia, but they are most likely hypertrophic acne scars. This occur after every single pimple i get now. I literally have hundered of this bumps on my face. Smaller ones ony my chin and forehead. The cheeks are the ones pictured above.

any thing i should try prior to my visit, should i wait and hope that the increasingly raised appearance is temporary inflammation or should i treat it now before it becomes even more permanent. What are my treatment options for right now?

MemberMember
(@wanttohelpmyson)

Posted : 11/19/2017 1:27 am

My son has bad acne scars on both front chest and back.  His back is much worse as they are much bigger.  Anyone here have had this bad case of acne scars or close to that and have recommendations as to where we can take him to get treated to reduce the look  we would greatly appreciated.  He is a great swimmer, but refused to try out for swim team in high school and now wears a rash guard when we go to the beach.  

IMG_4573 (1).jpeg

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 12/25/2017 5:05 pm

On 19/11/2017 at 7:27 AM, wanttohelpmyson said:

My son has bad acne scars on both front chest and back.  His back is much worse as they are much bigger.  Anyone here have had this bad case of acne scars or close to that and have recommendations as to where we can take him to get treated to reduce the look  we would greatly appreciated.  He is a great swimmer, but refused to try out for swim team in high school and now wears a rash guard when we go to the beach.  

IMG_4573 (1).jpeg

Research SkinTE, I also have very bad acne scars in my back so I can understand how tough it is to deal with them

MemberMember
(@hcas)

Posted : 02/03/2018 4:25 pm

Does anybody know ifSkinTE is being used/tested for keloif scars?

MemberMember
(@matthias2001)

Posted : 03/18/2018 11:17 pm

On 12/25/2017 at 3:05 PM, SimpleMutton said:
On 11/18/2017 at 11:27 PM, wanttohelpmyson said:

IMG_4573 (1).jpeg

Research SkinTE, I also have very bad acne scars in my back so I can understand how tough it is to deal with them

I got really bad acne like this but more spread out and some in my shoulders. Haven™t found anything about them. I™m okay football and can™t take off my dirt because of them so I know how it is to have them.