Notifications
Clear all

Skin Purging

MemberMember
(@msdani)

Posted : 05/20/2014 4:13 pm

Does anyone know anything about skin purging? I've heard sometimes when starting a new treatment you can break out in the beginning then it will clear up. Give your skin 3 months to see a complete change.

How long is purging supposed to last and when does it usually occur?

MemberMember
(@lovelyplot)

Posted : 05/21/2014 9:07 am

I think purging is supposed to last a few weeks. I don't know if I really believe it though, at least for me. Everytime I thought I was purging from a product it never got any better over time

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/21/2014 5:46 pm

In my experience, purging can go on for up to 3 months. If after 3-4 months you have seen NO CONSISTENT improvement then it is time to change or tweek your regimen.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 05/29/2014 12:24 pm

I don't really believe in skin purging from topicals. I've used all kinds of stuff for acne, you name it ive probably tried it.

This "purging" of the skin is really just irritation. You're irritating your acne along with the healthy parts of your face or wherever you're treating. Small pimples become larger, new ones crop up, under the skin nodules turn into cystic acne or form a head.

"Skin Purging" from my personal experience is irritation from jumping into using an acne product too quickly.

Some people can use bp twice a day, some can only use it twice a week! It's all about figuring out what your skin can handle at first when using a new product, then maybe you can work your way up to using it as directed.

It took me three years to figure that out.

MemberMember
(@jenbecht)

Posted : 05/29/2014 1:34 pm

Skin purging is natural especially if you are using Retin-A. Retin-A speeds up your skin shedding process and pushes out the dirt inside your pores.

As a result, your skin will initially breakout. Once your pores are cleared up, you will see fewer blackheads and whiteheads.