Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leopolda

Imiquimod (Aldara) for hypertrophic and keliod sca

Posted

Hi everyone. I just wanted to report my success with this cream. Just a quick bit of background first. I have two large surgical scars on my forhead, and one small very persistent hypertrophic scar that I've been trying to treat over the past 1.5 years. This summer I had dermabrasion with Dr. Y and that was tremendously helpful with all 3 of those scars--the surgical scars are still visible, but are much smoohter and blend in much better with the contours of my face, and the hypertrophic scar is much smaller as well. I've also had the hypertrophic scar excised 2 time. However, the hypertrophic scar is still there and it keeps regrowing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I pick at it (I've struggled with compulsive picking for a long time and I've now got it enough under control that this small scar is the only thing I pick. My picking is triggered by bumps or lumps, so it's only the hypertrophic scar that is really makes me want to pick), and it always grows back. Because I always pick at it before it gets big, I don't know how big it would get if I left it alone, but I suspect that it would get significantly bigger.

Anyway...

I've read about Imiquimod (Aldara) a new topical immunoresponse modifier that releases local interferons at the application site which works to degrade excess collagen and to block the formation of new collagen. It was originally formulated for genital warts, but new studies show that if applied to the suture site of a recently excised keloid scar, it dramatically reduces the recurrence rate (as opposed to excision alone). So I ordered some and applied it after my last round of picking (after it healed but before the excess collagen build-up). I have to say that, while it's still too early to say anything conclusively, so far I'm really surprised and happy with the results--there has been no excess collagen buil up for about 2.5 weeks now which is very different from how it used to be. I'm very happy with this. I will post updates later.

--leo

Posted

Thanks for reporting this. I hope that people with hypertrophic scarring might benefit from your experience. smile.gif

Posted
Thanks for reporting this. I hope that people with hypertrophic scarring might benefit from your experience. smile.gif

Posted

Hi Leo,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share this information --- it is got to be worth a try. I will let you know if it helps.

Posted

Thanks for the info leo! I have some hypertrophic scarring, and I too have picked hoping to get rid of the bump only to have it come back. Last time I picked I applied some hydrogen peroxide and it cauterized it thru the burning quality it has, and it seemed to really help flatten it. However some days it will get a bit redder and more swollen for no apparent reason and I wonder if it is going to every totally leave. Also I've put honey on it and that seems to help too.

My question is with your scar does the perimeter of the circle raise up only. I think the middle is a bit indented in mine so I hesitate to put anything that will inhibit collagen growth there. I'm not totally sure it is all hypertrophic scarring. The tissue is hard as rock in certain spots though. Also does this cream dry out your skin and cause it to look redder? Do you apply it once a day? Thanks!

Posted

i was just wondering if anyone had success with putting aldara on keliods? wanted to resurrect this topic to know what you guys thought... :D

Posted
i was just wondering if anyone had success with putting aldara on keliods? wanted to resurrect this topic to know what you guys thought... :D

Posted

Is aldara available at most pharmacys?

Posted
Is aldara available at most pharmacys?

Posted

ya I know I have two raised scars, Im guessing keloids on my jawline that I want to get rid of.

Posted
ya I know I have two raised scars, Im guessing keloids on my jawline that I want to get rid of.

Posted

Anybody tried this right after a scar revision?

Posted

Imiquimod It was a lie, made some scientific studies more extensive and resulted in contradictions to many people do not worked.

Posted
Imiquimod It was a lie, made some scientific studies more extensive and resulted in contradictions to many people do not worked.

There are plastic surgeons that do use that in combination to scar revision and injections. For example Dr. Lam and/or check him and others on realself dot com