Notifications
Clear all

Why Hasn't Diet Had Any Effect On My Skin?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/16/2014 4:31 pm

As some of you may or may not know, i have been on a lifestyle change since 2011 when my acne returned full force. I have given up dairy 100%, gluten 100%, been eating paleo for a month now (previously did it for 3-4 months) and have added some wonderful things to my diet such as daily green smoothies, vegetables (cooked and raw), salmon and quality meats when i can. I also take 2000IU viamin D and previously did vit d, fish oil and zinc with no effect. I also started working out again a month or so ago (mainly cardio). I also went the natural route last summer with my acne going out of control.

My stress levels are down for the most part so what am I doing wrong? Do i need to add other supplements? My acne has just always been so i can't say its hormonal as in it fluctuates around my period. I feel so lost especially when i see so many of you striving on a lifestyle change.

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 05/16/2014 5:29 pm

It is weird, it has no effect on mine either. Acne just seems to come whenever it wants, stress or no stress, bad or good diet.

My face was actually flawless 2 years ago when I was 175 lbs and ate junk food if I even did eat (I'm 6'1 205 now)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/16/2014 5:37 pm

It is weird, it has no effect on mine either. Acne just seems to come whenever it wants, stress or no stress, bad or good diet.

My face was actually flawless 2 years ago when I was 175 lbs and ate junk food if I even did eat (I'm 6'1 205 now)

Lol - funny thing. I agree 100% that it benefits us to eat and live a healthy lifestyle whether or not it helps our skin. It's just really disappointing to not know why we're breaking out. How's your acne and how are you treating it?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/16/2014 5:44 pm

Where is your acne usually located, and what does it usually look like?

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 05/16/2014 5:56 pm

Lol - funny thing. I agree 100% that it benefits us to eat and live a healthy lifestyle whether or not it helps our skin. It's just really disappointing to not know why we're breaking out. How's your acne and how are you treating it?

My acne has been very good lately. I dermarolled a few days ago and my face was very red, and red marks were much more apparent. My avatar was taken today, the redness has faded greatly.

I'm taking Doxycycline 200mg a day for 3 weeks now, I have two refills on it.

I apply .1% Retin-A every other night, and also take Zinc + Fish Oil + Vitamin D

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 05/16/2014 6:47 pm

Diet has no effect one mine either. When I was in my first year at university drinking all the time and eating unhealthy I had more or less clear skin. Now I dont drink and eat I would say pretty well and Ive been suffering with the worst acne Ive ever had.

Annoying.

MemberMember
(@beautifulperseverance619)

Posted : 05/16/2014 7:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, leelowe. Do you examples of what your daily food intake is? I haven't been on hardly any Acne medication/treatments for about 4 years now. I believe Retina A and BP 10% was the last treatment I was on. Changing what I eat has made the world difference for me. Granted, I am now in my Mid - to late 20's, and Hormonal levels are more stable than what they were, but still, it has made the world of difference for my complexion. I should did on these changes sooner. I would of been clearer a lot sooner. Pay very close attention to the incredient list on whatever you buy and try make sure they are whole foods - Organic preferably (stay away from GMOs!)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/16/2014 7:11 pm

Good question. I've been on and off acne medications for so long i don't know what my true acne looks like. I break out all over with the worst being on my chin and cheeks. I do get below the jaw acne but not nearly as bad. I have clogged pores on forehead. My acne doesn't seem to cycle. It just seems to be bad all the time. I had to stop using BP about 2-3 weeks ago so i am starting to break out. I have a new derm and will be starting a new regimen. Things may be complicated by eczema brought on by over use of BP so we'll see. What else do you suggest for my insides since everyone is says that's where the healing starts.

I'm sorry to hear that, leelowe. Do you examples of what your daily food intake is? I haven't been on hardly any Acne medication/treatments for about 4 years now. I believe Retina A and BP 10% was the last treatment I was on. Changing what I eat has made the world difference for me. Granted, I am now in my Mid - to late 20's, and Hormonal levels are more stable than what they were, but still, it has made the world of difference for my complexion. I should did on these changes sooner. I would of been clearer a lot sooner. Pay very close attention to the incredient list on whatever you buy and try make sure they are whole foods - Organic preferably.

Thank you. It's a struggle...i'm not gonna lie and i have very poor self esteem issues when it comes to my skin. See my signature for what i eat. I do essentially paleo with lots of smoothies, water and veggies thrown in.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/16/2014 7:55 pm

Good question. I've been on and off acne medications for so long i don't know what my true acne looks like. I break out all over with the worst being on my chin and cheeks. I do get below the jaw acne but not nearly as bad. I have clogged pores on forehead. My acne doesn't seem to cycle. It just seems to be bad all the time. I had to stop using BP about 2-3 weeks ago so i am starting to break out. I have a new derm and will be starting a new regimen. Things may be complicated by eczema brought on by over use of BP so we'll see. What else do you suggest for my insides since everyone is says that's where the healing starts.

I can't really say what else you can do to heal your insides since it seems like you're already living a very healthy lifestyle, but have you considered what you're putting on your face? If I ate a great diet and used stuff on my skin that clogged my pores I'd still be dealing with a lot of acne. Some people are more sensitive than others. When I was using purpose face wash and drugstore makeup I'd get deep clogged pores that would eventually become inflamed. Now I use stevia to wash my face (it's a natural surfactant) and use mineral makeup and my skin is a lot clearer. Recently, I've also found out that the laundry detergent I wash my wash cloths in clogs my pores a bit to. That shows just how sensitive some people can be. What kinds of products are you applying to your skin now?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 05/16/2014 8:36 pm

not trying to push anything, but have you tried a vegan diet? (little fat, high carb, whole food)

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/16/2014 11:38 pm

No diet and acne connection here either. It's mainly how you treat your skin externally and one other thing, but I'm not going to reveal the cure for free.

@Robertitoo WOW, the only things essential to homo sapiens are fats and proteins and you suggest that we almost eliminate these two and just eat carbs, the only one that is not needed, what an expert.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/17/2014 1:36 am

How come Alternavista hasn't replied?

Do we really need another Alternativista post stating the same thing, low GI diet, antioxidants, vitamin D, omega-3's etc. I have followed those things for well over 5 years, it does not have any effect on my acne. It's how you treat your skin externally, do not dry it, irritate it, don't destroy your good bacteria, keep your pores clear so that they don't get plogged. I think alternativista is a computer bot and has limited pre-made posts that are automatically posted, dead serious.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/17/2014 4:55 am

I can't really say what else you can do to heal your insides since it seems like you're already living a very healthy lifestyle, but have you considered what you're putting on your face? If I ate a great diet and used stuff on my skin that clogged my pores I'd still be dealing with a lot of acne. Some people are more sensitive than others. When I was using purpose face wash and drugstore makeup I'd get deep clogged pores that would eventually become inflamed. Now I use stevia to wash my face (it's a natural surfactant) and use mineral makeup and my skin is a lot clearer. Recently, I've also found out that the laundry detergent I wash my wash cloths in clogs my pores a bit to. That shows just how sensitive some people can be. What kinds of products are you applying to your skin now?

I agree with you 100% I don't wear makeup at all. And at one point I was just washing my face with a basic non medicated, non comodogenic cleanser and moisturizer. Right now, i am using aveeno calming naturals and mosturizing with neutrogenia moisturizer for sensitive skin (never had a problem with either of these products). My derm wants me to start on Klaron lotion in the AM and a retinoid in the PM so as soon as i get my prescripton i'll start on that. I think that even on topicals my face sould have made some improvement.

not trying to push anything, but have you tried a vegan diet? (little fat, high carb, whole food)

I haven't and it's not something i want to explore especially since i am pre diabetic and trying to watch my carb intake. But thank you for the suggestion

No diet and acne connection here either. It's mainly how you treat your skin externally and one other thing, but I'm not going to reveal the cure for free.

@Robertitoo WOW, the only things essential to homo sapiens are fats and proteins and you suggest that we almost eliminate these two and just eat carbs, the only one that is not needed, what an expert.

Dolan, thank you for your response. I think each individual is different so while skin care may trump diet for some, diet may trump skin care for others. I also don't believe in the idea of a cure as once again everybody's makeup is different and what may work for one person may not work for another (case in point with my diet which i mimicked from many of the success threads on this website).

Thanks for all the responses. One thing i want to add is that we all be respectful to each other in our responses

Thanks

karna liked
MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 05/17/2014 7:29 am

I agree with you 100% I don't wear makeup at all. And at one point I was just washing my face with a basic non medicated, non comodogenic cleanser and moisturizer. Right now, i am using aveeno calming naturals and mosturizing with neutrogenia moisturizer for sensitive skin (never had a problem with either of these products). My derm wants me to start on Klaron lotion in the AM and a retinoid in the PM so as soon as i get my prescripton i'll start on that. I think that even on topicals my face sould have made some improvement.

>not trying to push anything, but have you tried a vegan diet? (little fat, high carb, whole food)

I haven't and it's not something i want to explore especially since i am pre diabetic and trying to watch my carb intake. But thank you for the suggestion

Dolan, thank you for your response. I think each individual is different so while skin care may trump diet for some, diet may trump skin care for others. I also don't believe in the idea of a cure as once again everybody's makeup is different and what may work for one person may not work for another (case in point with my diet which i mimicked from many of the success threads on this website).

Thanks for all the responses. One thing i want to add is that we all be respectful to each other in our responses

Thanks

yea because fats are going to help..

good luck

MemberMember
(@roys24)

Posted : 05/17/2014 4:44 pm

While the diet you are explaining will be good for your body, it won't affect your acne. All the dermatologists I have went to told me that diet has nothing to do with acne and I can eat whatever I want. And I say this because I know people who eat a lot of junk food and trash like that and their skin is cleaner than a baby one.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/17/2014 8:28 pm

As some of you may or may not know, i have been on a lifestyle change since 2011 when my acne returned full force. I have given up dairy 100%, gluten 100%, been eating paleo for a month now (previously did it for 3-4 months) and have added some wonderful things to my diet such as daily green smoothies, vegetables (cooked and raw), salmon and quality meats when i can. I also take 2000IU viamin D and previously did vit d, fish oil and zinc with no effect. I also started working out again a month or so ago (mainly cardio). I also went the natural route last summer with my acne going out of control.

My stress levels are down for the most part so what am I doing wrong? Do i need to add other supplements? My acne has just always been so i can't say its hormonal as in it fluctuates around my period. I feel so lost especially when i see so many of you striving on a lifestyle change.

There's no change in your skin as you've made all these diet & supplement changes? What about the topicals? Have you tried a methodical elimination of other common allergens like Citrus, nuts, etc. how do you feel? Digestion issues? How old are you?

Is your skin dry? Oily? Irritated?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/17/2014 9:53 pm

There's no change in your skin as you've made all these diet & supplement changes? What about the topicals? Have you tried a methodical elimination of other common allergens like Citrus, nuts, etc. how do you feel? Digestion issues? How old are you?

non whatsoever. I even switched to a natural regimen to see if maybe topicals were hindering me and no change. I've done eliminations for months at a time too with no result. I've been to 3 naturopaths and nada. My digestion is great - it got so much better after diet changes. I am 30. I think my skin is combo but on the dryer side when on acne meds. You had recommended a topical routine for me which a followed religiously and my acne just worsened. Of course my acne makes me sad but i've tried to fill my life with other things......at the end of my rope with this.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/17/2014 10:04 pm

Diet isn't the cause of everyone's acne. Some people get clear through diet, others don't. Some people clear through a vegan diet, others through paleo, others through GAPS or the blood type diet.....you might have not found the right diet for your body. Or, your diet could be purely hormonal, or due to a bacterial or fungal infection. There are so many possibilities unfortunately.

PS. Run all the products you use through cosdna and see how many irritants they contain. Aveeno is not all natural, that's BS. Also, see how many products have sulfates, those are a big trigger for people with acne.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/17/2014 11:16 pm

Both of those would clog me. Most would probably have a problem with the aveeno, but the neutrogena (oil free sensitive?) has lots of known pore cloggers in it. If I used that my skin would be a disaster.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/18/2014 8:16 am

non whatsoever. I even switched to a natural regimen to see if maybe topicals were hindering me and no change. I've done eliminations for months at a time too with no result. I've been to 3 naturopaths and nada. My digestion is great - it got so much better after diet changes. I am 30. I think my skin is combo but on the dryer side when on acne meds. You had recommended a topical routine for me which a followed religiously and my acne just worsened. Of course my acne makes me sad but i've tried to fill my life with other things......at the end of my rope with this.

What regimen did I recommend? What did you eliminate? You say there's been no changes, but then you mention it worsening. Worsening how? And you never improved from all this worsening? Just steadily worse? Always clogged pores on forehead? Always inflamed acne on cheeks, chin, neck?

Is your paleo diet high in ant inflammatory foods? What hours do you sleep? What about Daylight exposure? And 2000iu of D supplements is not enough unless you are getting it from the sun, which is best.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/18/2014 8:42 pm

It was hemp seed oil. Worsening in terms of more acne spreading over my face (not neck). It never stabalized or got better and at that point i got on another prescription drug. Acne included clogged pores and mostly inflammatory acne. Worse being on chin and cheeks. Regarding paleo, i do a lot of colorful vegetables, root vegetables, salmon and high quality meat and chicken. I get a typical 8 hrs of sleep and try to go to bed and wake up around the same time. I work indoors so not much sun. How much iu of vit D do you recommend?

What regimen did I recommend? What did you eliminate? You say there's been no changes, but then you mention it worsening. Worsening how? And you never improved from all this worsening? Just steadily worse? Always clogged pores on forehead? Always inflamed acne on cheeks, chin, neck?

Is your paleo diet high in ant inflammatory foods? What hours do you sleep? What about Daylight exposure? And 2000iu of D supplements is not enough unless you are getting it from the sun, which is best.

MemberMember
(@sweetpea97)

Posted : 05/18/2014 11:14 pm

Lots of misinformation here. At it's heart acne is a disorder of the pore, mostly the way the follicle sheds which is abnormal and backwards - there is currently no way of eating that corrects nor worsens this process. Hence the reason diet and acne are irrelevant. Healthy eating has benefits on the the body but it will not fix this.

There are also no "different or special types" of acne, all acne is just plain old acne. These lables people on the forums are assigning like teenage/hormonal/bacteria/dietary acne are non applicable and entirely made up. Every kind of acne vulgaris (common acne) from comedone to nodular is basically a combination of a change or sensitivity to hormones which galvanizes the oil glands, improper shedding of the hair follicle and subsequent infection and inflammation.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/18/2014 11:54 pm

Lots of misinformation here. At it's heart acne is a disorder of the pore, mostly the way the follicle sheds which is abnormal and backwards - there is currently no way of eating that corrects nor worsens this process. Hence the reason diet and acne are irrelevant. Healthy eating has benefits on the the body but it will not fix this.

There are also no "different or special types" of acne, all acne is just plain old acne. These lables people on the forums are assigning like teenage/hormonal/bacteria/dietary acne are non applicable and entirely made up. Every kind of acne vulgaris (common acne) from comedone to nodular is basically a combination of a change or sensitivity to hormones which galvanizes the oil glands, improper shedding of the hair follicle and subsequent infection and inflammation.

I welcome you to the misinformation heaven, you can find all kinds of things in here. I'm a truly lifelong fan of healthy eating and living, but I don't expect it to have ANY effect on acne. Just like you said, if I wanna get rid of acne I have to keep my pores functioning properly externally. Alternativista claims she got her oily skin under control because of low GI diet but she treats her skin externally with vitamin B3 (a research proven way to reduce oily skin) and as we get older we produce less sebum (and she is old), so yeah, bunch of bullshit flying around here all over.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/19/2014 1:03 am

I welcome you to the misinformation heaven, you can find all kinds of things in here. I'm a truly lifelong fan of healthy eating and living, but I don't expect it to have ANY effect on acne. Just like you said, if I wanna get rid of acne I have to keep my pores functioning properly externally. Alternativista claims she got her oily skin under control because of low GI diet but she treats her skin externally with vitamin B3 (a research proven way to reduce oily skin) and as we get older we produce less sebum (and she is old), so yeah, bunch of bullshit flying around here all over.

Changing my diet really helped my skin and made me a lot less oily. I'm not old, and I was sooo oily before.

It was hemp seed oil. Worsening in terms of more acne spreading over my face (not neck). It never stabalized or got better and at that point i got on another prescription drug. Acne included clogged pores and mostly inflammatory acne. Worse being on chin and cheeks. Regarding paleo, i do a lot of colorful vegetables, root vegetables, salmon and high quality meat and chicken. I get a typical 8 hrs of sleep and try to go to bed and wake up around the same time. I work indoors so not much sun. How much iu of vit D do you recommend?

Oils can affect people's skin very differently. Some people break out from hemp oil.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/19/2014 5:21 am

If I remember correctly paigems, you were the one who claimed that vitamin C helped your oily skin and acne, well that just destroys your credibility right away.. Vitamin C has really weak antioxidant properties and it is gone from your body in about hour, how is that good with anything? If you want some strong antioxidants go for astaxanthin and lycopene. I have been taking 12mg astaxanthin, 30mg lycopene and 30mg beta-carotene every day for a year now and even those won't affect oily skin or acne.