Notifications
Clear all

Acne Makes Me Feel Like A Hideous Abomination Of Mankind.

MemberMember
(@astonvanilla)

Posted : 05/14/2014 2:12 pm

I have moderate acne, and it is affecting my self esteem massively. I feel unable to leave the house, I probably have around 9-10 spots at a time and they make me feel like worthless , especially when most of friends seem to have flawless.

I am 19 years old and a male student, I've probably had acne for around 3-4 years now although it seems worse now than ever before. I always burst my pimples just because I have left them alone before and they have not gone away. As acne sufferers will know, it is IMPOSSIBLE to leave alone massive whiteheads. I've always been a late developer so to speak i.e late growth spurts, pubic hair etc. so when do you think my acne will stop? Will I just grow out of it? Neither of my parents suffered from adult acne at all, perfect complexions.

Will it stop when I hit 20?

My regimen at the moment is 2x Doxycline 100mg a day as well as Isotrex gel as a topical gel which I use at night. I have been using this regimen for 2 weeks but so far there has not been much of a difference. How long in general does Doxy take to work? How long should I give it before I just give up?

The next stage for me (and final) would be roaccutane but that is very much a last resort and I really HOPE Doxy does the trick, do any of you guys have any expierence using it?

I am told I am quite a goodlooking guy but acne just makes me feel like SHITE. It makes me feel like a kid whereas a lot of my friends look like young men.

Thank you, any feedback is very much appreciated.

Harvey

MemberMember
(@musicvisuals)

Posted : 05/15/2014 12:02 am

You pretty much explained a young me, but my acne started to pick up more heavily arnd age 21, tried everything to treat it including doxy which took me 2.5 months to kick in and only lasted 2 months of 95% clear then i began breaking out more frequently agian..at 18 i thought itd go away at 19, at 19 i thought itd go away at 20...then 21, 22, 23, 24....and i would go from a few months getting mild and be happy then to moderate and even occasionally severe but usually 4-8 pimples/cysts/white heads any given average day. After trying every antibiotic, topical and diet I decided to take accutane...I did research this for years and finally gained up the courage...Today I'm on day 90 and I dont have one pimple on my face, I havent for a week. I did break out heavily the first two months but now my face looks so much different, clearer than its been in along time. My side effects are so minimal, dry lips, semi dry skin. Cant drink on it..which is fine...as long as you get the clear skin fuck it right...Good luck on the doxy but dont be afraid to take the tane when needed. Dont waist all the years like me, Ive wasted so much time hiding in my house but im free now. Message me if you want bro

MemberMember
(@abi1791)

Posted : 05/15/2014 2:29 pm

It makes me feel exactly the same, I hardly leave my house and have no confidence what so ever. If this doesn't work for you then don't be afraid to take accutane, I was at first but slowly my skin is getting better. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be :)

MemberMember
(@ocnblitzgmail-com)

Posted : 05/16/2014 6:07 pm

I have been on doxy for 3 weeks. I noticed zero change in the first two weeks, in fact it actually made my skin worse and I had nausea issues.

My face is pretty much clear now, I just have redness from past marks.

I'm 21 years old by the way. I get worse acne now than I did at 19.

MemberMember
(@astonvanilla)

Posted : 05/17/2014 4:21 am

I have been on doxy for 3 weeks. I noticed zero change in the first two weeks, in fact it actually made my skin worse and I had nausea issues.

My face is pretty much clear now, I just have redness from past marks.

I'm 21 years old by the way. I get worse acne now than I did at 19.

Yeah re the nausea issues I am the same, are you on 100mg or 200mg a day? I am 200mg I don't know if this is making me feel worse or not.

So you would say that Doxy took a few weeks to kick in? Like you, I have been taking for now just over two weeks and seen no real change, same painful red spots etc.

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 05/17/2014 10:14 am

the problem with doxy is once you get off it , the acne will return. I was on doxy for 8-9 months, takes around 1+ month for me to notice the difference.

MemberMember
(@astonvanilla)

Posted : 05/18/2014 11:41 am

the problem with doxy is once you get off it , the acne will return. I was on doxy for 8-9 months, takes around 1+ month for me to notice the difference.

Hi, yeah I've heard of that problem. Nearly 3 weeks in and still can't notice a difference. Did you take 100mg or 200mg a day? I'm taking 200mg but it is making me feel dazed, idk what to do?

MemberMember
(@katd)

Posted : 05/21/2014 3:13 pm

Hey Harvey,

sorry to read how bad you feel. I'm feeling the same right now.

I tried doxy for a while too, and they usually suggest 3 months before seeing results on any meds for your skin.

Please know that there's a lot more to your self worth than your skin.. try searching for something else to focus on which can make you happier and might also benefit your skin whilst lowering anxiety/stress, such as a new workout routine or healthier diet... try cutting out things like diary or gluten and add more fresh fruits etc.. even if this doesnt help your skin, it'll make you feel healthier and better about yourself at least.

but please, whatever you do.. research accutane thoroughly before taking ! look on youtube, google... it's poison and really bad for you. and it doesn't always work! didn't for me.

i hope you find a way to be happy despite acne xx

MemberMember
(@palegreeneyes)

Posted : 05/22/2014 6:11 pm

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone - I too am absolutely fed up with my acne, so much so that I rarely leave my house these days. It has really got to the stage where I feel as though I can't take much more and just want to cry my eyes out.

What I will say to you is that I truly believe there is something out there for everybody to clear their acne - I know it's hard to find it (trust me) and what works for some makes others break out horrendously, but just try to stay patient. I have to repeatedly tell myself this all the time.

I know that when it's your face staring back at you in the mirror, you feel like you're so ugly because of your skin, but that's what you're focusing on. Other people either don't care or don't even notice, and if they do & say anything negative, f*ck them. They're trying to bring you down, don't let them.

My Mom always tells me that the silver lining of acne is that in your older years your skin is so much better than people who haven't ever suffered with acne - less wrinkles and more of a 'glow'. I think this is actually a fact and I totally believe her because when my Mom was younger she had acne, up until her mid twenties - now she is in her 60s and has GORGEOUS skin. So smooth and almost wrinkle free - really radiant, too.

Anyway, like I said, YOU'RE NOT ALONE! I think about my skin almost 24/7 and it bothers me/upsets me so much. But, I'm a girl and just so you know, I would not be put off a guy if he had 'bad' skin, at all. It is all about the confidence and charm, trust me!

Hope you feel better soon

MemberMember
(@maggief516)

Posted : 05/23/2014 11:53 am

I'm sorry you have to deal with this :( I think you should seriously consider taking Accutane. I had tried about everything else (including antibiotics) and nothing worked but Accutane. There is no reason for you to spend your teens depressed because of acne. I started Accutane (1st course) when I was 19 and it changed my life. I took 2 other courses in my 20s but my acne NEVER returned to anywhere close to what it was before Accutane. I'd break out a little here and there, but not the serious disfiguring acne over your whole face which I had before Accutane. I seriously consider it to be a miracle drug. I will get a few breakouts here and there, but nothing at like before and my skin is basically perfect now except for some acne scars left on one cheek. The side effects sounded scary to me, but I had no side effects that were serious (and I've had 3 courses of it). My brother also took it for mild acne and his skin is perfect now too. It's also REALLY expensive to get rid of scars left from acne, so the earlier you get rid of the acne, the better.

MemberMember
(@mattlb)

Posted : 05/25/2014 11:44 am

I was the same as you, worried that it was going to get worse, took accutane and it did.

Now i'm hoping accutane speeds up and really starts to work, because i'm getting sick of it now.