Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Hair Loss, Willit Come Back?

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/10/2014 11:06 pm

So im 16 had severe acne and i was put on accutane. I took it for about 7 months but stopped because of hair loss. i started seeing hair loss on my hairline on month 4 so i notified my dermatologist about it. She made up some bullshit that it could be stress and that she doesnt think its the drug. i continued with the drug and things got worse. i started shedding and slowly getting bald spots and she still thinks its not the drug but obviously it it. I stopped the drug and its been about 3 weeks now.

For those who have gotten hair loss from this drug please tell me if u ever recovered from it and how long it took. i feel very depressed and just want my hair to be normal again

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/12/2014 8:44 pm

can someone reply?

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/12/2014 8:46 pm

I'm six months post-tane and my hair still hasn't stopped shedding. I don't think there's a cure. If the shedding stops you're just lucky.

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/13/2014 6:00 pm

I'm six months post-tane and my hair still hasn't stopped shedding. I don't think there's a cure. If the shedding stops you're just lucky.

how old are you though? and it didnt even stop a little?

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/13/2014 6:55 pm

I'm 19. And its pretty inconsistent. One day I'll lose like 2 hairs and another day I'll lose like 40. Overall I wouldn't say its improved at all.

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/13/2014 8:18 pm

I'm 19. And its pretty inconsistent. One day I'll lose like 2 hairs and another day I'll lose like 40. Overall I wouldn't say its improved at all.

you still got time though, my dermatologist said it could take up to a year to go back to normal.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 05/13/2014 8:22 pm

Is hair loss your only issue/side effect? Does mpb run in your family? if so it can speed up the process. search for the long term hair loss thread. Sometimes Accutane causes low biotin, Vit D, iron etc. Do you have any itching etc. Sometimes it can just cause TE in which it may recover.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/13/2014 10:06 pm

Is hair loss your only issue/side effect? Does mpb run in your family? if so it can speed up the process. search for the long term hair loss thread. Sometimes Accutane causes low biotin, Vit D, iron etc. Do you have any itching etc. Sometimes it can just cause TE in which it may recover.

Good luck

no i went trough depression also. my dad does have loss of hair. i dont have itching. what is TE?

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/14/2014 8:00 am

Yeah I'm not too worried. I'm sure within a year it will resolve itself. Did your hair loss stop once you stopped taking the drug, and now you're just waiting for re-growth? Because my hair loss didn't start until a week after I finished taking it.

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/15/2014 2:42 pm

Yeah I'm not too worried. I'm sure within a year it will resolve itself. Did your hair loss stop once you stopped taking the drug, and now you're just waiting for re-growth? Because my hair loss didn't start until a week after I finished taking it.

mine started around my 4th month

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/15/2014 6:08 pm

In that case it's very likely this is just a temporary side effect.

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/15/2014 6:42 pm

In that case it's very likely this is just a temporary side effect.

if its temporary how long do you think till i see some improvement

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/15/2014 8:14 pm

Not sure. Its been 6 and a half months for me and I've seen zero improvement.

MemberMember
(@sclippers)

Posted : 05/15/2014 8:22 pm

Time will tell.

MemberMember
(@m8gmb)

Posted : 05/15/2014 9:42 pm

Hi, wow hair loss is a big sign that accutane is not a good thing. I have thought about trying it for some time now but i am hesitant because of all the negative things I have heard. I dont mean to scare you but you are young and accutane seems to do harm than benefit . Just recently a friend of mines nephew passed and guess what they have link his death to.... Yup. I am not going into detail because there is a pending lawsuit. Whether his death was caused by accutane, i dont know. What I do know is there are naturual alternatives for you that will help your body grow especially at your age. Keep your head up, I know how you feel acne really sucks. I have started using natural products and I see a huge difference in my skin. (Still not there yet but hey it wont happen over night)

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/16/2014 6:30 pm

Time will tell.

Hey SClippers, I recognize your name from other various accutane hair loss threads. Did you ever see any improvement?

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/16/2014 6:35 pm

Hi, wow hair loss is a big sign that accutane is not a good thing. I have thought about trying it for some time now but i am hesitant because of all the negative things I have heard. I dont mean to scare you but you are young and accutane seems to do harm than benefit . Just recently a friend of mines nephew passed and guess what they have link his death to.... Yup. I am not going into detail because there is a pending lawsuit. Whether his death was caused by accutane, i dont know. What I do know is there are naturual alternatives for you that will help your body grow especially at your age. Keep your head up, I know how you feel acne really sucks. I have started using natural products and I see a huge difference in my skin. (Still not there yet but hey it wont happen over night)

he just died or he killed himself

MemberMember
(@sclippers)

Posted : 05/17/2014 1:38 pm

Time will tell.

Hey SClippers, I recognize your name from other various accutane hair loss threads. Did you ever see any improvement?

Ye but I appear to be in the minority. Drastic improvements actually.

MemberMember
(@georgio984)

Posted : 05/17/2014 4:14 pm

Time will tell.

Ye but I appear to be in the minority. Drastic improvements actually.

how old are u and how long till u saw improvements?

MemberMember
(@sunsetblvd)

Posted : 05/17/2014 5:44 pm

he just died or he killed himself

He obviously killed himself. Accutane alone can't kill you. It just reduces oil production in your body lol.

MemberMember
(@m8gmb)

Posted : 05/20/2014 12:56 am

Could be he had a pre-existing condition but according to the family accutane helped him on his way and no it was not suicide.... Although accutane should be last resort (before killing yourself) lol. Im just putting common sense together why would you go for something so detrimental to your health? I have also read in some cases when you stop taking it the acne comes back. . . . Sounds like a good deal, right? Right....

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 05/20/2014 8:58 am

Could be he had a pre-existing condition but according to the family accutane helped him on his way and no it was not suicide.... Although accutane should be last resort (before killing yourself) lol. Im just putting common sense together why would you go for something so detrimental to your health? I have also read in some cases when you stop taking it the acne comes back. . . . Sounds like a good deal, right? Right....

Because acne can change a person,and when you are told that there is only one potential cure but with side effects,you simply don't think about it and go for it.

MemberMember
(@m8gmb)

Posted : 05/20/2014 11:19 pm

Because acne can change a person,and when you are told that there is only one potential cure but with side effects,you simply don't think about it and go for it.

Believe me i know first hand what acne does to someone's self esteem and I am simply stating my opinion...I am saying if you actually do some research there is no "one potential cure" . I don't see why everyone is hostile ? Is this not a forum to try and help each other? There are many other natural methods that you can safely experiment with without risking your health.

It's cool seems like everyone's sold on the "accutane miracle". Good luck with that guys....

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 05/21/2014 12:07 am

I'm not being hostile at all. Any natural method i tried,didn't worked for me. And most of them are not available were i live. My diet isn't the problem also. Five years ago i used to eat at mc donalds at least one time per week. No acne at all. Now,i don't even eat dairy. Worse acne in my life.

Accutane is not a cure at all. You can see how Dan still fights with acne. But the "cure" term really depends on your genetics. Personally i took accutane because i thought that i was having a normal breakout that would disappear in some days,after thinking like this for months,my face transformed into a mess. By then i started with anti acne prescriptions and nothing worked completely. My face was covered in marks and i needed a solution to STOP getting pimples and let my face heal,so i went for accutane.

I know that i have chances that accutane doesn't completely banish my acne,but it will give a fresh start to my face. I can't keep trying products after products with not results at all. I will not leave my face to freely scar and get ruined. You can't "experiment" when you have moderate/severe acne. At least most of us can't,so that is why we go on accutane.

MemberMember
(@lumpy-space-princess)

Posted : 05/30/2014 9:46 am

Hi

The shedding will stop but theres nothing you can do to make it stop as your hair is already programmed for onset shedding. What you can do is speed up the new growth cycle by taking Biotin, MSM as well as Horsetail. The thickness of your hair will grow back within in a year if you take care of it (Trust me ive been on chemo). Avoid heat syling your hair and use a good quality shampoo and a leave in conditioner. Use coconut oil instead of hair masks as it is gentler. Ive lost about 70% of my hair on Accutane as well as chemo. Hair that falls out with a white bulb no matter what size it is, is a sign that its Telogen meaning it will grow back, hair that falls out with a black bulb means it was an Anagen hair meaning it wasnt supposed to fall out it will grow back but that would take about 1 and a half years as the follicle still has to go through its complete cycle before new hair growth can been seen. Just take care and make sure that any multivitamins you are taking doesnt contain Vitamin A !!!