Notifications
Clear all

Paradigm Shift -- Treating Your Body With Tenderness

MemberMember
(@squirrelsquirrel)

Posted : 05/08/2014 8:04 am

Wanted to start a discussion about the type of mindset that in turn will inform what action we choose to take.

I am experiencing a change of approach at the moment. I feel that by using harsh medical treatments I have been in effect 'attacking' my body and trying to mould it in a way that I considered to be 'better', trying to force it into looking the way I want it to look. It's the same mindset that some guys in the gym have when trying to 'make' their bodies into a shape they consider, in their minds, as desirable.

I am thinking about a different way now, in which you are actually starting from a point of view of love and tenderness towards yourself and your body (as opposed to saying 'I hate my body, I want it to look different'). So from this new perspective, I would ask: what can I do for myself and my body to help it feel good, relaxed and to help it to heal. Swimming and sauna, self-massage every day and using natural cosmetic products are all part of this for me. I stopped using any medical ointments and I now use Weleda's cosmetics for the face, including their acne lotion. At first I thought it didn't work but after a week my face started to calm down and now I don't have this area of high inflammation on my jaw line. I have very few new breakouts, for instance today I had none (I'm 36 and have light adult acne).

I feel that this change of approach makes a difference, it reduces stress (and we all now how much of an effects stress has on acne!) and it makes me feel less desperate, less violent even (as in violence against your body). When I am taking care fo myself like this, I feel instantly more relaxed and feel I want to breathe more deeply, like my body is settling into this love and acceptance.

Please share your thoughts/experiences around the idea of midset.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/08/2014 4:00 pm

Good Luck. I agree in terms of a positive mindset only serving to help our overall health. It makes sense that if we respect and treat our body well, it will in turn do the same to us. Whether or not it rids us of acne, we may never know. But it certainly can't hurt as stress never did anyone any good.