Notifications
Clear all

New To Accutane And Have A Few Questions... And Also Need Advice!

MemberMember
(@keridenise)

Posted : 05/07/2014 8:39 pm

Hi! I just started Claravis and I was wondering about how long it took for you (everyone) to start experiencing dry skin. What else dried up? Nose, scalp?

Also, what products did you find were best to remedy these side effects? What moisturizer, face wash, shampoo? Most of all, for the girls, what makeup?? Does liquid foundation or mineral powder look better? Everything I have is for oily skin and I don't know where to begin with buying products for dry skin... I've never had that issue before!!

Thanks in advance!!

Keri

MemberMember
(@purple31)

Posted : 05/07/2014 10:26 pm

Hi Keri, I just started accutane at 10mg a day about three weeks ago to battle mild but very persistent acne. I would say I started drying up about two weeks in.

Some products Ive been using to combat the dryness are:

CeraVe Cream, I feel like its heavy and light all at the same time (not the lotion but the cream)

Jojoba oil, to add to body lotion to make it more moisturizing

SheaMoisture moisture mist - I use this even though its for curly hair and I have straight hair. Its natural and the spray bottle helps evenly distribute the product vs just putting an oil like argan in your hair.

Some other products I would recommend having on hand are:

Moisturizing eye drops

Some kind of petroleum jelly for lips and inside nose if it starts to feel dry. Rosebud salve is amazing for lips!

Ibuprofen for headaches I had a few in my first two weeks and they were pretty miserable. I think there is something about the way Ibuprofen is absorbed that makes it ideal for taking on accutane.

I cant comment on makeup as I have always just worn mineral makeup to avoid further breakouts.

Best of luck to you! My skin already looks pretty good and Im only three weeks in.

MemberMember
(@jennns)

Posted : 05/07/2014 10:35 pm

Hi Keri!

I'm now on my 37th day of Accutane. I started with 40 mg per day and now I am taking 60 mg per day and I started experiencing dry hair withing the first couple of weeks. Make sure you use hydrating shampoos and conditioners. I use Moroccan Oil. Also, look into a hair mask that you should apply once a week to your ends. Plus, you'll only need to wash your hair once a week anyways because it will no longer become oily!!!

After you wash your face you'll notice it's super shiny even though you just cleansed it, that means your skin is dry. It might also feel tight because your skin is thinning out. I suggest you use a non comedogenic moisturizer. Also, wash your face with an antibacterial cleanser or something not too harsh on the skin. You wont even need to wash it often.

The first place I started noticing dryness was my nose and LIPS. You better have something handy at all times to moisturize those lips girl!! Use Aquaphor, that's the best thing. Then I started to notice the skin between my thumbs and index finger were dry and also the outside of my palm. I haven't really experienced major dryness but I am also at the beginning of my treatment so who knows if it will get worse. But as long as you moisturize and drink a lot of water you will be fine.

As for makeup, Ima makeup artist so I might be able to give you some advice. Definitely use a good moisturizer before applying your makeup, I use La Roche Posay. I use a liquid foundation and it works great for me. I don't look to flakey or anything so Im happy. I use Nars Sheer Glow or MAC Pro Long Wear, they are both medium to full coverage that's why I use those two- to hide any blemishes or zits I may have. Then I put concealer from MakeUp Forever (Full Cover) on pimples or acne scars that weren't covered by the foundation. And don't forget to put a setting powder ontop of everything so it stays in place all day.

I wouldn't use a powder foundation on your face because that will be too drying and will make you look cakey and flakey. And definitely not a cream foundation because that's too thick. You want to go towards liquids. If you're looking for something from the drug store I suggest Nutrogena Healthy Skin Makeup or L'Oreal True Match Lumi.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know.

Keep posted about your progress!

Jenna

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 05/07/2014 11:00 pm

Accutane is awesome.

Get every type of blistex they make - especially the intensive one and the medicated one, and prepare to develop a strange routine of layering different types to achieve maximum results.

Carry water with you at all times.

And I second the aquaphor suggestion. Apply it liberally on and around your mouth after washing. You will be amazed how something that looks so much like vaseline can be absorbed into the face of an Accutane user.

I am in month 6, 40 mg all the way. Clear since month 4. See you on the other side!

MemberMember
(@keridenise)

Posted : 05/08/2014 9:51 am

Thank you guys SO much!! Its so nice to see how helpful and quick to respond everyone is here. This is a very cool little community. People who havent gone through years and years of persistant acne dont understand.. its awesome to talk to people who get it! :)

MemberMember
(@alikarol3)

Posted : 05/08/2014 10:18 am

Hello Keri!

I have been on Accutane for 4 full months, I am on month 5 now.

As for dry skin, month one and two made my face slightly dryer, but for me, it never got extreme. However, in the middle of month three I experienced eczema on my hands and arms, but moisturizing like crazy helped with that. My lips also cracked, peeled, and bled everyday for a while they were so dry. Overall, my body just became less oily, including my skin and hair.

To me, hydrated skin starts from the inside. Drink crazy amount of water, this always helped me. Eat mostly fruits and vegtables (this will also help in clearing your skin :) ) to help keeping your skin healthy, glowing, and hydrated. This, along with accutane, have made the biggest changes in my skin.

As for cosmetics, I keep it simple. I use Cetaphil gentle cleanser in the morning and at night, followed by Dickinsons pore perfecting toner, and then cetaphil moisterizing creme (just in the morning). This moisterizer works really well at keeping skin smooth, soft, and moisterized. It also does not clog pores :)

As for makeup, I don't really wear any anymore. Occasionally (and I used to use) Physicians Formula Foundation Powder. This was a powder that gave coverage like a foundation, and sat perfectly on top of my moisterizer. It did not make me look dry, cakey, or flakey. It also never made me break out, and it does not clog pores. It makes your skin look flawless, and its around $14!

So Keri, my best advice is to keep everything simple! Eat simple, drink lots of water, use few cosmetics that work on your skin, and be happy :)

Best of luck!

xo-Ali

MemberMember
(@haileybear)

Posted : 05/08/2014 10:25 am

Hi Keri!

There's a ton of awesome suggestions here and while they're all all wonderful advice it seems like a lot of different products and a handful of them a little expensive lol. I use a few simple ones and they work amazingly.

Vaseline intensive rescue repairing for extra dry skin

Aquaphor

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Bare minerals original foundation

Loreal true match powder

I've had eczema for a very long time and the accutane has only made it so much worse, most moisturizers don't do a single thing, but Vaseline makes it look like I've never had a single dry skin day my whole life! Apply morning and night and anytime you have the chance in between.

Aquaphor for your lips, that's a must.

I bought the cetaphil cleanser because I thought it would help take off my makeup, but you really need to use a washcloth with it and your not really supposed to use anything abrasive to the skin while on accutane. I do it anyways because the washcloth helps take off any dead skin at the end of the day or after waking up on the morning, if you do just don't scrub hard. A regular mild soap might work out better if you don't want to use a washcloth for it.

I know bare minerals is an expensive brand which is why I only have the foundation. I have a small brush that I use to put it on like concealer and then a large fluffy brush to put on a little all over for foundation. It does not by any means make me look cakey like liquid foundation used to, but that's just me, I've always had dry skin so there was nothing the makeup could sit on and idk bunch up? Either way, don't be afraid of mineral make up, at first it might not work out well but after you get the hang of it, it'll look great. Then I just even it out and top it off with the loreal powder and done. Even skin with no flakes.

Also not a necessity but I bought a cortisone cream for any itching, mostly for my ears because for some weird reason my second week in they because ridiculously itchy and started peeling and after scratching started bleeding and now they are all scabby and gross. Also I have a medicated dandruff shampoo, I'm not sure of it's what helps relive the itchy scalp or just washing it in general does, but it was super cheap with insurance, like 4 bucks I think, it's ketoconaxole 2%

Good luck Keri!

MemberMember
(@keridenise)

Posted : 05/13/2014 12:07 pm

All of this advice is amazing and the Aquaphor is like MAGIC! Also love the vasoline for under my bottom lip and chin when I go to bed at night. A very sincere thank you to everyone for their product advice. Im on day 17 and my cracked/split lips have healed well with Aquaphor but now I have dandruff like crazy! A very new problem for me. I have been using Head and Shoulders but will probably have to move up to something stronger because I dont want it to snow every time I scratch my head!

MemberMember
(@haileybear)

Posted : 05/14/2014 2:18 am

Hey Keri!

Shampoo with sylic acid in it will practically vaporize dandruff, i can't remember the exactly word my derm used, but it was along those lines. Your local drugstore, walgreens or cvs here, should carry a product called Dermarest. It's a little expensive as far as a shampoo goes, but it works wonders! It eliminates any itching and makes all your flakies disappear!

Just wet your hair, lather it in and let it sit for 5-10 mins. Shave or something while you wait. Then rise and follow up with a conditioner of some sort to moisturize as much as possible, your hair will need it on accutane!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@keridenise)

Posted : 05/14/2014 9:32 am

Hailey, I will stop by Walgreens today and try that, thank you!!

MemberMember
(@jennns)

Posted : 05/15/2014 4:00 pm

Try Nioxin. It's amazing and it smells like Mint! The hair salon I work at recommends that for itchy scalp or if your hair is thinning out. They also have scalp treatments which might help. This shampoo and conditioner combo is made to clean out all the dead skin on your scalp and leaves you with a refreshing feeling on your head.