Does Anybody Know W...

Notifications
Clear all

Does Anybody Know What Could Be Wrong With Me?

MemberMember
(@nnaammeelleessss)

Posted : 05/06/2014 7:31 am

I'm an 29 year old male and havent really had acne during puberty apart from the ususal zit or two.

When I was about 24 my problems started. I do have larger than usual pores in my face and neck and quite an oily skin I think.

Every now and then I have a had a few cysts which never got infected and went away eventually but maybe 5-6 times a year especially after shaving I feel a little lump which looks like a zit and itches. Soon after that it becomes huge and infected and almost nevers comes to a head. Is this cystic acne? The red bumps are like 1-2cm in diameter and freakingly large imo.

My doc wont do anything about it and tells me I have to wait for it to go away on its own but it's literally driving me insane. I don't even wanna go out anymore because of my swollen puss filled face.

I've tried a lot of things but nothing seems to help kill this infection.

Does anyone here has a similar type of problem?

- Relatively oily skin

- No zits (few little ones every now and then but nothing alarming)

- Deep infections that stay there for about ~2 weeks and don't come to a head

- Only on the face / neck area

How do I make them go away faster and does anybody have an idea what causes these things?

I dont mind a zit but this is killing me!!!

BP doesn't do much for me I think I've been using it for about a week now.

I wash my face every day with garnier pure active with salycylic acid. Scrub a few times a week.

Had antibiotics once but did nothing so no more antibiotics. Warm compress just makes it more red and itchy too.

Worst infection I had was about the size of a golfball underneath my chin and had to be cut open and hurt like hell.

Where doe these things come from and how can I make them go away?

MemberMember
(@nnaammeelleessss)

Posted : 05/08/2014 2:37 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@brasswill)

Posted : 05/11/2014 7:32 pm

I think speaking with a dermatologist is probably your best bet. I know that's probably not what you were hoping to hear, but it really is best to speak with a skin care professional who can see and evaluate your situation in person. Best of luck and hope things clear up for you!

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 05/12/2014 10:38 am

You are a male, so your acne is hormonal. I agree with the derm appointment. You dont describe your case as weird, thats why you dont have many replies. You have acne, as all of us in here. A male friend of mine in his 40s is using coconut oil and finds it really helpful. On the affected areas and eating coconuts, coconut milk and other coconut made stuff. Try it!

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 05/12/2014 1:59 pm

If you have only been using bp for a week you won't really know if it is working or not as it is much too soon to tell. It usually take 2-3 months to see improvement.

Also try and be gentle with your skin as using scrubs can often just irritate your skin more which is not really what you want.

The other thing that comes to mind is what is your diet like and do you consume a lot of dairy products? Many people find that their complexion improves when they cut out dairy. Just a thought.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 06/28/2014 4:23 pm

There are some specific types of folliculitis found in men- Pseudofolliculitis barbae and Staphylococcal folliculitis (barber's itch) -- you might want to look those up, especially if you believe the cysts are somehow related to shaving...

MemberMember
(@thedarkknight)

Posted : 07/10/2014 10:55 pm

Do you shave against the grain?