Notifications
Clear all

Protein Powders: Are Any Safe For Acne Sufferers?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/04/2014 10:39 am

So many smoothie and other health-type drinks call for some form of protein powder. I'd like to know if all protein powders contain dairy--whey, etc.--and, so, are not recommended for acne sufferers whose skin can't tolerate dairy?

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/04/2014 12:01 pm

Protein powder is something I'd avoid. You can make smoothies without protein powder and they turn out just fine.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/04/2014 7:27 pm

Protein powder is something I'd avoid. You can make smoothies without protein powder and they turn out just fine.

Actually, I've just learned of one vegan protein powder made from rice--and that's free of soy, milk, egg, yeast, corn, wheat, sugars or preservatives. So if I ever decide to try a protein powder in the future, that might be the way to go. Otherwise, yes, skipping a protein powder altogether is the only other option.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/04/2014 7:41 pm

Actually, I've just learned of one vegan protein powder made from rice--and that's free of soy, milk, egg, yeast, corn, wheat, sugars or preservatives. So if I ever decide to try a protein powder in the future, that might be the way to go. Otherwise, yes, skipping a protein powder altogether is the only other option.

Made from rice and what else?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/04/2014 11:57 pm

Made from rice and what else?

I'm not committing to the idea of trying this specific product; I was just noting that rice-based protein powders exist. This particular one I viewed is chocolate flavored, and I go through periods of avoiding chocolate. The ingredient list is: enzymatically processed rice protein from California brown rice, natural chocolate flavor, guar gum and xanthan gum.

MemberMember
(@heh2)

Posted : 05/05/2014 7:39 am

there are loads of non-flavoured products on the market. i used one for about a month and it was actually good for my skin, it made it smoother and reduced the redness. i'd definitely recommend trying it out. the only reason why i stopped taking it was because i have thin hair thanks to accutane courses back in the days, and adding more protein made my hair too light and soft.

MemberMember
(@brandylad)

Posted : 05/05/2014 11:42 am

yes! you can use rice, hemp, egg & pea protein... also there is a type of whey protein by dymatize called iso 100... it's lactose, fat & sugar free, however it is at the more pricey end of the scale

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/05/2014 6:20 pm

yes! you can use rice, hemp, egg & pea protein... also there is a type of whey protein by dymatize called iso 100... it's lactose, fat & sugar free, however it is at the more pricey end of the scale

Thank you for this information, brandylad. I now am very curious about rice and hemp protein and will do some research on various brands available.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 05/05/2014 7:04 pm

I got very into protein supplementation a little over a year ago (whey and soy), and I completely blame it for an almost year-long, uncontrollable breakout cycle. Soy messes with hormones, and so does milk, which I added to all my post-workout shakes. It took months of being milk and protein supplement free before I broke out of the acne cycle (and got control of my irregular menstrual cycle) I will never take protein supplements again. I don't think the body cannot truly absorb 24g or more of protein at once. It is better to consume a food-based protein source with every meal. My skin is 100% clear, and I wouldn't chance it with protein supplements. Better off eating tuna salad and eggs, etc.

MemberMember
(@rick911)

Posted : 05/06/2014 3:34 pm

You don't need protein powder supplements at all if you can get everything from your diet. Seriously, protein powder is all a buisness thing.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/08/2014 8:49 am

I have suffered acne for 15 years and I have finally it under control. I'm a bodybuilder and consume 290 grams of protein every single day and all of it is from protein powder supplements (whey, pea and egg white). Those powders are not responsible for acne in any way unless you have some serious intolerance to some ingredient. In my 15 years experience with acne I have made the conclusion that diet has very little to do with acne, sure it may help some to get lot's of omega-3's versus omega-6 and eat lots of antioxidant rich fruits and veggies, but other than that, don't expect much. I have finally found what works, and I'm willing to sell my "cure". Like I said I have suffered 15 years of acne and spend thousands and thousands of dollars trying different cleansing products, supplements and foods, so there is no way that I'm gonna reveal this cure for free. PM me if you would like to buy the information how I got clear.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/08/2014 9:08 am

I have suffered acne for 15 years and I have finally it under control. I'm a bodybuilder and consume 290 grams of protein every single day and all of it is from protein powder supplements (whey, pea and egg white). Those powders are not responsible for acne in any way unless you have some serious intolerance to some ingredient. In my 15 years experience with acne I have made the conclusion that diet has very little to do with acne, sure it may help some to get lot's of omega-3's versus omega-6 and eat lots of antioxidant rich fruits and veggies, but other than that, don't expect much. I have finally found what works, and I'm willing to sell my "cure". Like I said I have suffered 15 years of acne and spend thousands and thousands of dollars trying different cleansing products, supplements and foods, so there is no way that I'm gonna reveal this cure for free. PM me if you would like to buy the information how I got clear.

I've suffered from acne for 27 years and still haven't uncovered every little thing that upsets my skin. What I do know is that I wouldn't touch whey for all the money in the world, since I've dairy sensitivities.

It's interesting that you admit not everyone develops acne for the same reasons--e.g., some may be sensitive to whey, some not--yet you claim to have a "cure" for acne. Well, if all people don't break out from the same factors, then all acne cases won't heal from the same "cure."

One final note: I think it's a shame that you're using this forum to try to get money from fellow members who're desperate for help. Sure, we all would like a "magic-pill" cure, but we shouldn't have to pay a stranger--whose credentials are unknown and unproven--for an alleged one. We should be helping one another for the sake of just that, rather than angling to get something from the sharing of information. But if there are others who're willing to pay you money for your "cure," and if they're helped from it, well, then, God bless.

MemberMember
(@dolan-duck)

Posted : 05/08/2014 9:17 am

First of all, milk contains two proteins, whey and casein and casein is the one with all the bad effects. Whey is very antioxidant rich, it boosts your glutathione levels like no other.

Second, I'm not forcing anyone to buy MY cure, and like I said it's MY cure, it may not work for you but if it does then hey, it's a beautiful thing. I don't need no benzoyl peroxide or even moisturizers anymore. It's so easy to take care of my skin now, saves shitloads of cash. But hey, you do what you must do. I understand that to everyone here I'm just some nobody, but maybe this nobody has found a way how even you can be acne free and just finally enjoy life and not worry about your skin all the time.

Have a nice day

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/08/2014 9:18 am

Have a nice day

You, too.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 05/09/2014 1:47 pm

Whey is poison for me and for my brother. We both break out like mad if we have any.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/09/2014 2:18 pm

Whey is poison for me and for my brother. We both break out like mad if we have any.

Ditto for me; that's why I tend to not consume any food with dairy ingredients--other than butter--especially when my skin's going through a super-sensitive phase.