Notifications
Clear all

Acne Vaccine

MemberMember
(@pache4321)

Posted : 05/02/2014 12:24 pm

so i emailed this company regarding their acne vaccine development. this is what i sent them:

greetings! i just want to share my story about my acne battle. i've been suffering having these nasty breakouts since i was 13 yrs old. i tried everything- antibiotics (doxycycline), isotretinoin (accutane), supplements (vit a, vit d3 and vit c), topical regimen, chemical peels, fractional laser and whatever my dermatologist would suggest and now i'm on a strict diet- no milk, no sugar and salt and i exercise everyday and i'm also very hygienic. sometimes my face would clear up for about 1-2 weeks but most of the time, i'm stuck with it. it feels like i have lost hope and it lead me to depression. i don't know what to do with my acne anymore. i gave my best shot. i spent thousands but it all keeps coming back. it never ends.

i just want to know if this vaccine is still in the development stage? and if your research goes as planned, and you are actually able to develop an acne vaccine without side effects, when will it be ready for the public? and will you introduce it worldwide? i'm so desperate right now. i need a lot of guide about this so that i could understand how it works and if i should get my hopes up about this.

thank you for your time! i appreciate it!

and this is their reply:

Dear Pache Rio,

Thank you for contacting us and providing details on your struggles with acne. I can truly empathize and understand your frustration.
We are always deeply touched to receive inquiries from the patients like yourselfbecause you are the reason we are working so hard on this product!
First to give you some background on the industry we are in:
Developing a cure against any disease is a very long, risky and expensive process (it takes at least $100 million to discover, develop and bring one such product to the market). Most investors are reluctant to invest into early stages of product discovery, because they don't wish to wait too long to earn on their investment, and because discovery stage is the most unpredictable and risky. So, at the moment we are struggling with very low resources and trying to generate lots of data to be able to convince the investors to support us so we can continue. We are also talking to large pharmaceutical companies and trying to convince them to invest their resources as well and help us move this project faster. We are on a good track and I hope that we will manage to speed up and deliver a very good product. However, it will still take a few years, because all medicinal products must be tested in large clinical trials involving thousands of patients, before they can be sold on the market. We do plan to market and sell the product worldwide.
Now, back to your particular problem with acne and some questions:
  • You mentioned that you have had acne since the age of 13, what is your age now (how many years have you had acne)?
  • How long have you been on isotretinoin therapy (months, years)? Have you received more than one course of treatment? What was the daily dose you received?
  • Has your dermatologist ever taken a sample of your acne lesion for a bacteriological analysis? This would be important to determine if Propionibacterium acnes is the main reason for your acne problems, since in less than 10% of acne patients another pathogen called Staphylococcus aureus has been isolated instead of P. acnes. If your acne is associated with S. aureus, and not P.acnes, than you would need a therapy for that particular pathogen and not for P. acnes.
  • Has anyone in your family ever had problems with acne?
I hope I have addressed some of your questions.I would be happy to discuss further if you wish.
My most sincere regards,
Sanja
P.S. You could also help us improve our chances of success, if you would like to join our acne patient support group. We are collecting patients' personal statements and images of acne affected areas, which we plan to use for preparing presentation slides for our meetings with industry partners and investors, this would not be released into a public domain (nobody except us would have access to it).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so what doo you think guys??
MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 05/02/2014 2:10 pm

It is fascinating that a pharmaceutical company took into consideration your mail and even more replied. This shows that they count on the public opinion. It is decent. They ask for your replying back, so they establish a kind of communication and they dont stop to an automatic answer.

In my opinion you should mail them back and try to come in contacts with them face to face. Its not easy for a vaccine to go out to the market but they seem to take it seriously.

MemberMember
(@pache4321)

Posted : 05/03/2014 3:24 am

It is fascinating that a pharmaceutical company took into consideration your mail and even more replied. This shows that they count on the public opinion. It is decent. They ask for your replying back, so they establish a kind of communication and they dont stop to an automatic answer.

In my opinion you should mail them back and try to come in contacts with them face to face. Its not easy for a vaccine to go out to the market but they seem to take it seriously.

i know! i was surprised when they replied and they really want to push through this. i already replied back and i'm sending them my horrible acne photos that my derm took.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 05/05/2014 4:11 am

i know! i was surprised when they replied and they really want to push through this. i already replied back and i'm sending them my horrible acne photos that my derm took.

Even better is that they pointed out to a bacteria analysis. That is more than all my derm have done in 20 years! I just had a sample taken last week. Finally! Eager to see if I am battling against p.acnes (which I doubt) or a staph infection (which I guess has been the root cause for the last 10-15 years). Or something else!

MemberMember
(@pache4321)

Posted : 05/05/2014 6:29 am

Even better is that they pointed out to a bacteria analysis. That is more than all my derm have done in 20 years! I just had a sample taken last week. Finally! Eager to see if I am battling against p.acnes (which I doubt) or a staph infection (which I guess has been the root cause for the last 10-15 years). Or something else!

it's the first time i've heard of this p.acnes and s.aures! my derm never told me about it and i'm so glad i emailed the company. it will be better for us soon :)

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 05/05/2014 8:36 am

it's the first time i've heard of this p.acnes and s.aures! my derm never told me about it and i'm so glad i emailed the company. it will be better for us soon

Indeed! I wish it wouldn't take 10 days for the results to come back. I'm pretty sure I've had a staph or another type of infection for some time. Could P.acnes really result in such deep and huge pustules, localized to face only? Nothing works on these pimples. Tee tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, erythromycin, clotrimazol, differin, polysporin, neosporin, and all types of soaps including selsun blue. Have also tried duac, to no avail. They just keep coming back, and they keep growing, regardless of what I put on them or how soon. Ice doesn't help either. And they refill most of the time when popped.

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 05/06/2014 5:39 am

Interesting stuff. I was only thinking about this lately. I remember reading about 10 years ago about an acne vaccine that would be given to school age children and didn't hear anything else since. Thanks for this.

MemberMember
(@myacnejourney101)

Posted : 05/07/2014 12:30 pm

This sounds interesting. Would like to see where this project is in 10 years or so!

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 05/08/2014 12:23 am

when you think about it, it seems very interesting indeed. imagine how beneficial a vaccine would be!

MemberMember
(@marie4u)

Posted : 05/09/2014 5:59 am

you acne photos or some one else?

MemberMember
(@pache4321)

Posted : 05/09/2014 10:59 am

you acne photos or some one else?

of course my acne photos!

UPDATE! so i emailed them back again.

here's what i replied:

Thank you for your thorough and open information about your research. I really appreciate it and honestly i didn't expect to get a reply but i was glad that you did.

I'm 23 now and i took 2 courses of isotretinoin. The first course was 3 months 20 mg daily and the second, 8 months, 30 mg daily for the first 3 months then the doctor gradually decreased it for the following months. My dermatologist haven't taken a sample of my acne lesion for a bacteriological analysis yet and i don't know if she knows that because we have never talked about it. Should i ask her? In our family, my brother also had acne but he outgrew it and my sister gets a few but it fades away and they never experienced huge cystic acne.

Regarding the acne patient support group, how could i join?
Thank you again for the information and insights!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
and their reply:
Dear Pache,

Great to hear from you again!
..and thank you for the additional information concerning your experience with acne
It is very interesting for us to learn that your brother had acne, but that he had outgrown it, and that your sister only has minor problems with it. Since you live in the same household, you are probably exposed to the same type of skin bacteria.so it is probably that your brother's immune system has learnt how to deal with it, while yours is still struggling to adjustThis is just a hypothesis, and we are trying to test it in the patients we are recruiting for our study. I am assuming that you live far from us, otherwise it would be great if we could include you and your brother and sister into our research study.
Nevertheless, you could still help us by providing relevant informationI will send you more information about the acne patient support group we are organizing, when we define the scope and clarify the purpose of it. For now, it is good to know that you would be interested in joining.
Regarding the bacteriological analysis, it would be good if you would talk to your dermatologist about it.at least you would have a better idea about the bacteria that colonize (live inside) your acne lesions, and if it is P. acnes (but the isolation and the analysis has to be done correctly, by knowledgeable professionals, otherwise it may be missedthis is something that your dermatologist should know about).
One last note from my side:
Although acne is very difficult to accept and deal with, you should not identify yourself and your self-value with it. A person's beauty shines from inside: make sure you keep a positive attitude and let your inner beauty express towards the outside world. First impressions dissolve quickly, when you get to know someone 'more than the skin deep'Don't let your skin problems define who you are as a person!
With sincere regards and best wishes,
Sanja
------------------------------------------------------
i'm really really happy they're replying!
deeelovin liked
MemberMember
(@marie4u)

Posted : 05/10/2014 3:29 am

hmm but i think its ok.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 09/14/2014 8:06 am

how are they doing on that vaccine?

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 12/03/2014 7:37 pm

OP any new developments from the company?

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 12/03/2014 11:49 pm

I can't see this happening :( not trying to be the guy with bad news but they make billions of dollars each year from acne... I guarantee they have a cure for it already and just aren't opening up to the public about it. That goes with a lot of things too that the government and pharmaceutical companies are hiding from us. I also bet my bottom dollar that they have a cure for cancer but that is also a multi billion dollar business in itself. Anyways. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this happening... Not anytime soon Atleast :/

MemberMember
(@deeelovin)

Posted : 12/03/2014 11:52 pm

I like the post about the family members spreading bacteria to each other. My boyfriend moved out and my acne has all but disappeared. So, maybe that was from stress.

But, I also stopped eating storebought or homemade breads, maybe that has something to do with it?

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 07/11/2018 9:06 pm

Anyone have information on this vaccine?