Notifications
Clear all

Almost All Moisturisers Make My Face Red

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 05/01/2014 7:22 am

im at wits end. ive tried about 8 different moisturisers, with and without spf, and they all seem to make my face red. i dont know what to do i need help please

MemberMember
(@moonlightshadow)

Posted : 05/01/2014 10:41 am

Do you use a non-comedogenic moisturiser for (very) sensitive skin ?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 05/01/2014 10:43 am

is your face red in general?

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 05/01/2014 12:31 pm

What are you putting on your skin before you put on your moisturizer ? (eg. cleanser or treatment) because maybe that is what is making your face red. Just a thought.

MemberMember
(@mala994)

Posted : 05/01/2014 1:07 pm

Maybe you are allergic to the substances within the moisturisers and cleansers etc?

Have a look at the ingredients and make sure you use moisturisers which are suitable for your skin.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 05/01/2014 5:05 pm

I know the feeling every moisturizer I use seems to make me break out and Ive tried literally everything (sigh).

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 05/02/2014 4:06 am

@robertitoo my face is a little red in general. ever since i started treating my acne my face has been more red by default (i used differin for almost a year). @hope7 i use nivea men sensitive face wash only. @mala994 i was thinking that as well :/ @moonlightshadow i dont even use a moisturiser at the moment hahah. @sky13 it sucks dude :(

MemberMember
(@estranged)

Posted : 07/09/2014 8:59 am

bumping this, been using nivea for men sensitive moisturiser and i feel like its making my thin skin thicker and more full (maybe due to the vitamin e and chamomile), but i suspect its making my face red? my face IS red in general, but the moisturisers seem to make it worse. i went for a while without using any moisturiser and i just broke out. i need a moisturiser that'll not only not make my face red, but maybe even reduce redness (need to be able to find it in australia)? thanks

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 07/09/2014 7:13 pm

Just a possibility, but the Nivea product probably contains piroctone olamine -- it's dissolving malassezia cell walls, and then your immune system is recognizing the dissolved fungal cell walls as "not self" and activating the immune system, the first result of which is inflammation, or redness. You may be getting a positive diagnosis for seb derm induced by malassezia, which is essentially a skin allergy to a fungal overload. It can be treated but not cured. It doesn't go away with age, either.

Try an additional antifungal, with climbazole for example, in a shampoo form, to help control a fungal overload. Try adding Nizoral 2% ketoconazole cream. Ketoconazole is only somewhat effective, but you can't buy the more effective Lotrimin Ultra (not the AF kind) in AUS.

Nivea makes "Men's Sensitive After Shave Balm" with piroctone olamine in the US, which is the primary basis for my opinion, and also because people with a malassezia skin allergy are generally more "red" than other European-type people. It's often misdiagnosed as acne.

The other reason that all commercial moisturizers make malassezia-skin red is because malassezia metabolizes oils that have a carbon chain length longer than C11. The only oil that is shorter than this is "medium chain triglyceride" oil, sold as "MCT Oil" at health food stores and on the web, for about $25 per liter. It's edible and used by bodybuilders. MCT oil is C8 and C10 and an excellent moisturizer. Used neat it's too much oil though, because it's shiny, etc. If you can find someone local to you who makes lotion, they could make a liter for you. 15% or 16% MCT oil in a lotion would feel good IMO. The only commercially made MCT lotion is sold by Dermalogica (Active moisture Lotion) but it's super expensive, about $40 for 50 ml, which in my opinion is not a viable option. Maybe "New Directions Aromatics," an AUS-based company, can help you out too, as they sell lotion making products.