Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane (Accutane)

MemberMember
(@isso)

Posted : 04/28/2014 1:33 am

Am on Accutane for the third month now and I start with 20mg a day and my doctor refuse to up the dose more than 20 and I weight 96 kgs

And I think its too little for my body

Should I up the dose by myself ??

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 04/28/2014 5:52 am

Moved to prescription meds forum.

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 04/30/2014 9:01 am

Some doctors prescribe a higher dose for a few months, and other prescribe a low dose for a longer period of time... It's the cumulative dose that counts and the daily dose depends on how much your body can handle in terms of side effects. In the instructions that came with my boxes of the generic brand of accutane, it says that the cumulative dose shouldn't be higher that 120 to 150 mg per kg, and normally a person takes 0,5 to 1mg per kg per day.

If you weight 96kg, you should take the minimum cumulative dose of 11.520mg of accutane. At a 20mg pill per day, the course would be 576 days, which is more than an year and a half. Personally, i think it's a long time for someone to take accutane. So, you should definitely increase your dose to shorten the number of months you take it. And you can handle a higher dose, so i don't see why not. I weight 49kg and i'm taking 30mg per day, and i can handle the side effects really well at this point (i'm finishing my 3rd month).

MemberMember
(@isso)

Posted : 05/02/2014 9:54 am

Some doctors prescribe a higher dose for a few months, and other prescribe a low dose for a longer period of time... It's the cumulative dose that counts and the daily dose depends on how much your body can handle in terms of side effects. In the instructions that came with my boxes of the generic brand of accutane, it says that the cumulative dose shouldn't be higher that 120 to 150 mg per kg, and normally a person takes 0,5 to 1mg per kg per day.

If you weight 96kg, you should take the minimum cumulative dose of 11.520mg of accutane. At a 20mg pill per day, the course would be 576 days, which is more than an year and a half. Personally, i think it's a long time for someone to take accutane. So, you should definitely increase your dose to shorten the number of months you take it. And you can handle a higher dose, so i don't see why not. I weight 49kg and i'm taking 30mg per day, and i can handle the side effects really well at this point (i'm finishing my 3rd month).

Dear Missvania

Thank you so much for reply

Now sure I will up my dose

Noway to take it for more than a year

One more question my skin is not sooo bad when I start accutane ... Should I take the full 576 pills ??

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 05/02/2014 2:52 pm

You're welcome :)

Even the decision about your daily dose should be discussed with your doctor. If your skin was not that bad to begin with, and you have clear skin for about a few weeks straight without having new pimples, you can ask your doctor to end the course sooner. But doing a complete course decreases your chances of relapse. My acne was also not bad in the beginning, but it was persistent acne, both comedonal and inflammatory, that leave hyperpigmentation spots. Personally, i prefer to do the full course with the recommended dosage, than risk a relapse and have to do it all over again in a few months/years. I'm quite sure that my excessive oily skin has an important play role on my acne, so i'm sure i have to take the recommended dosage to increase my chances of cure, because accutane shrinks oil glands... but that is my personal opinion, it's up to you and your doctor to discuss your options, because everyone's different... Good luck! :)