Notifications
Clear all

Questions About Folliculitis Or Perioral Dermatitis - Comments Needed 🙂

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 04/27/2014 10:44 am

Hey everyone,

so last month i posted something about weird spots on my upperlip, around my nostrils, all the way to my smile lines. Well ive been struggling with this for a couple of weeks. I thought it had went away but is still making an appearance. I got it originally because idiot me decided to use a moisturizer on my face (at the time it was quite cold, and my skin was a bit dry) But anywho, it went away. But it started back up- now ive been thinking- i changed my toothpaste 3 weeks ago. To Crest Cavity Protection because the crest plain original paste was not in stock. Is there any way- that toothpaste can cause a reaction on my upper lip? Im still unsure if its folliculitis or perioral dermatitis. I switched to sensodyn and it seems that the area isnt so angry.

Right now i wash my face with cerave hydrating cleanser (have been using for years- not a problem)

Topical use finacea (been using it for a long time too- helps my rosacea trementously)

Orally i use Oracea (40mg) 1 daily (dosage is anti-inflammatory - not high enough for bacteria)

The spots on my upper lip to smile lines, up to nostral crevis are ITCHY (if i had nails, i might have took my skin off it itches so badly) - Also there whiteheads (weird ones) - but dont seem to be inflamed at all. They just itch like flippin crazy. I think its either folliculitis or perioral dermatitis. I Cant see a derm till mid may because thats when my semester ends.

What are some things i should do? I wouldnt think using finacea or taking oracea would worsen this - they are both used as anti inflammatory-

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 04/27/2014 12:34 pm

mhh anyone want to chime in?

MemberMember
(@hockeyfan99)

Posted : 04/27/2014 10:06 pm

I don't know what stuff you take but I don't wash my face with anything. I just drink a lot of water and have fruits. Only time I have diary is if it's in my supper. I don't know if that's cause or not.

I find it hard to believe that toothpaste would cause it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/02/2014 2:23 pm

Please read this

Home > Articles > Instruction Sheet for Perioral Dermatitis

Instruction Sheet for Perioral Dermatitis

Perioral Dermatitis

Instructions for Patients

2011 SQUIGLE, Inc.last revision Nov 13, 2011

These instructions are provided as a guide to patients who have been diagnosed by a physician or dentist. These Instructions have been created after hundreds of hours of discussions with patients and physicians. They are not meant to be rigid and unchanging. Of course, we hope they work for you. But if they don't, please contact SQUIGLE, Inc. toll-free at 1-877-718-0718 (9 am to 5 pm, EST).

This is crucial: Use either SQUIGLE Toothpaste or TOOTH BUILDER Toothpaste as your only toothpaste (do not apply it to your skin, but only to your teeth). Patented SQUIGLE and TOOTH BUILDER are free of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and other irritating ingredients. SQUIGLE's flavor is mild to prevent irritation of delicate tissues, while TOOTH BUILDER is flavor free. Both SQUIGLE and TOOTH BUILDER have 36% Xylitol--more than any other toothpaste--to prevent plaque and cavities better than regular toothpaste.

Don't use mouthwash.

Floss at least once a day, before you brush. Use unwaxed floss. If your teeth are closely spaced, use Glide floss.

No chewing gum--especially no cinnamon or spearmint. Don't use candy or breath mints, especially cinnamon or spearmint.

Don't smoke or use tobacco in any form.

Instead of soap, use Aveeno Balancing Bar for Combination Skin to clean your face twice a day.

Change your washcloth at least every 2 days. Use a separate towel to dry your face and hair, and change it at least once a week.

To shampoo your hair, use a gentle shampoo, free of SLS and other irritants.

Wash your sheets and pillowcases once a week. Wash your blankets once a month.

Don't use makeup. Keep your hands away from your face. If your face itches, take a short course of antibiotics (as prescribed by your physician).

A short course of topical cortisone or other steroids, sparingly applied, is OK. (Requires a presription.)

Take oral tetracycline for two weeks. Then wait two weeks, and try a short course of clindamycin (topical antibiotic). (Also requires a prescription.)

Take a multivitamin + multimineral daily, after a meal. (Centrum is OK). In addition, take 500 mg to 1000 mg of buffered vitamin C daily. Get sufficient rest each night.

If your perioral dermatitis persists, and you are not using Tooth Builder exclusively, switch to Tooth Builder because it has no added flavor, in case you are sensitive to flavors.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 05/02/2014 6:09 pm

I'd try switching to a sulfate free fluoride free toothpaste if I was you.