Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Dosage

MemberMember
(@irish82)

Posted : 04/26/2014 6:26 am

Hi guys, how do you know if you are on the correct dosage of accutane?

My derm prescribed me 50mg from the start of my 6mth treatment, I weigh 93kg. The dosage was for moderate acne on my back shoulder area, and just after 2mths I am still getting small breakouts on my back.

I'm just worried I might be not getting enough accutane for my weight, any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks for any help

MemberMember
(@ssmichael)

Posted : 04/27/2014 5:51 pm

If it's only moderate acne and only on your back, I wouldn't worry. The side effects leap up with higher dosages, and it isn't worth that for moderate acne.

Also the weight guidelines probably apply to treating acne on face, back and chest!

MemberMember
(@irish82)

Posted : 05/02/2014 5:25 pm

Yes it's only for moderate acne on my back and shoulders, luckily I only get the odd spot on my face. I contacted my derm about upping my dose from 50mg to 70mg for the last 4mths of my course to reach my cumulative dosage, and she said no and to stick to my 50mg dosage.

It seems to be working, but I am still getting a few spots weekly. I am just hopping that I am getting the most out of my treatment, I don't want to be selling myself short, and risk a potential relapse due to not having reached the recommended cumulative dosage.