Notifications
Clear all

Dark Raised Scars, Need Help Figuring Out What To Do!

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/23/2014 2:31 am

Hi guys!

So I'm pretty brand new here. I've been lurking the forums trying to find a solution to my annoying scars, but so far, without success. :(

From what I've read, I've kind of self-diagnosed my scars as hypertrophic (if I'm wrong, by all means, please correct me!)

I've had them on my upper back for about 4 maybe 5 years now, and it's such a pain looking for clothes to cover it up during the summer :(

Attached below I have some pictures (let me know if I can take better ones to help you diagnose it better)

So far, I've tried quite a bit.

I had 2 cortisone shots done on each spot. I found that while the immediate result flattened it for a couple of days, the following days resulted in a gradual return to its original state (if anything, it made them inflate even more)

I have also tried silicone gel sheets. I feel as though they flattened them and smoothed them out a bit, but they're still quite visible, and are tedious to apply every night.

The texture of the scars is quite hard. If I apply pressure, I can hardly feel my fingertips on the skin (it's lost that much feeling in it!)

Almost every other night I massage the area, in hopes to loosen up the skin, but of no avail, yet again.

If anyone can help me out, to primarily flatten them, and if anything fade the dark pigmentation, I'd be eternally grateful! I've been struggling to fix this on my own, but nothing has been coming to light.

I hope someone can help share some insight with me, I know a lot of you are probably much more knowledgable about these pesky buggers than I am.

Thanks in advanced!

post-392057-0-84362700-1398238248.jpg

post-392057-0-57588400-1398238249.jpg

post-392057-0-84362700-1398238248.jpg

post-392057-0-57588400-1398238249.jpg

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/24/2014 7:23 pm

bump!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 04/24/2014 7:36 pm

your skin looks otherwise clear, what were these from acne cysts?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/24/2014 10:12 pm

What was the concentration of the cortisone injections? For keloid scars like this, they would need a pretty high concentration. Some doctors also inject a combo of 5-fu and Kenalog.

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/25/2014 12:39 pm

What was the concentration of the cortisone injections? For keloid scars like this, they would need a pretty high concentration. Some doctors also inject a combo of 5-fu and Kenalog.

I will definitely need to get back to you on that one. From what my doctor said, he said they were quite low because he didn't want to risk them becoming indented. Do these look like keloids? I've been having trouble distinguishing if they are keloids or hypertrophic scars. I assumed they were hypertrophic because they stayed about the same size as a pimple I'd get if it were on my back. Hm, maybe I've been looking at the wrong information.

your skin looks otherwise clear, what were these from acne cysts?

I had some pretty bad acne back in high school. Went on accutane and it cleared up almost everything for the most part. From what I remember, these scars were left from some acne I may have picked. It's so far back, it's hard to remember exactly. They are hard in texture though, and don't hurt. Have no idea what to do at this point haha.

MemberMember
(@bioneedle)

Posted : 04/25/2014 3:55 pm

If it makes you feel better, they really don't look unattractive.

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/25/2014 6:21 pm

Aw, thanks. I am quite thankful I can easily cover them up. I used to have much worse acne on my face which couldn't be covered so it is relieving. Just wish I could wear backless dresses without being self-conscious ha.

MemberMember
(@bioneedle)

Posted : 04/25/2014 8:03 pm

Aw, thanks. I am quite thankful I can easily cover them up. I used to have much worse acne on my face which couldn't be covered so it is relieving. Just wish I could wear backless dresses without being self-conscious ha.

They really don't even look like acne scars, tbh. I actually find them attractive. I'm not that familiar with hypertrophic scars but I wish you the best :)

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/25/2014 8:12 pm

Kenalog or cortisone injections come in 2 strengths, 10mg/ml or 40mg/ml. These are then diluted with saline to get lower concentrations. I think it failed probably because your doctor admitted he used a low strength. If you inject Kenalog 40 into normal skin, you would get severe atrophy like a crater. On a hypertrophic scar, I think a higher strength and 5-FU will help to flatten this over time.

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/25/2014 9:02 pm

They really don't even look like acne scars, tbh. I actually find them attractive. I'm not that familiar with hypertrophic scars but I wish you the best

Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it :)

Kenalog or cortisone injections come in 2 strengths, 10mg/ml or 40mg/ml. These are then diluted with saline to get lower concentrations. I think it failed probably because your doctor admitted he used a low strength. If you inject Kenalog 40 into normal skin, you would get severe atrophy like a crater. On a hypertrophic scar, I think a higher strength and 5-FU will help to flatten this over time.

I guess he must've used the 10mg. Whats the difference in kenalog and cortisone? My derm is super passive and hardly goes into any details when I go to his appointments so I find myself having to do a lot of research on my own, which is really discouraging :(

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/25/2014 9:31 pm

Kenalog is just the brand name of cortisone. Like Advil is the brand for ibuprofen.

Actually he probably diluted the 10mg/ml in half and injected you with something closer to 5mg/ml.

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/26/2014 9:59 am

Kenalog is just the brand name of cortisone. Like Advil is the brand for ibuprofen.

Actually he probably diluted the 10mg/ml in half and injected you with something closer to 5mg/ml.

Ah. I see. I guess this is the only solution to flattening them then, eh?

As for the colour, any ways to fade them using topicals instead of laser?

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/26/2014 1:51 pm

I suppose you could also excise them, but that would be the most extreme method. Plus that area is very mobile, so that might put too much tension on the incision and it would stretch into another scar.

I'd say exhaust your options first with higher concentrated kenalog and 5-FU before doing something extreme.

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/26/2014 5:02 pm

I suppose you could also excise them, but that would be the most extreme method. Plus that area is very mobile, so that might put too much tension on the incision and it would stretch into another scar.

I'd say exhaust your options first with higher concentrated kenalog and 5-FU before doing something extreme.

Totally get what you mean. Thanks for all your help :)

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 04/26/2014 5:31 pm

yep agreed, go about every month for the injections, I've done them, the first one hurts so bad because the keloid is hard, but after that it gets easier...usually 3-4 will flatten them...then if the color is still there hit it with a IPL laser to get at the color

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/26/2014 8:58 pm

I would actually get Vbeam, not IPL. Vbeam is more focused, while IPL is for global redness like facial flushing.

MemberMember
(@christinacne)

Posted : 04/26/2014 10:50 pm

yep agreed, go about every month for the injections, I've done them, the first one hurts so bad because the keloid is hard, but after that it gets easier...usually 3-4 will flatten them...then if the color is still there hit it with a IPL laser to get at the color

Maybe I'll reconsider now that you both are giving me some green lights. I've been mainly massaging them, trying different topicals and tried the silicone sheets again a few weeks back, but if the injections are my best bet, i'll make another appointment with my derm.