Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane In Exactly 30 Days From Now.

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/21/2014 3:58 pm

This is very exciting. As some of you may know, I've dealt with acne since I was 10 years old. I tried literally every topical and antibiotic a doctor and/or dermatologist could prescribe. I went into the dermatologist about 2 weeks ago or so and when I handed her the list of everything I've tried, the first thing she said was Accutane. I'm not gonna lie, I geeked out a little bit. Okay, maybe I just smiled but still. Inside I was geeking out. Majorly. She told me and my dad that we could start filling out papers today and that I needed to get blood drawn and a pregnancy test the week after my appointment. I did that, and still am on the Depo-Provera shot. I didn't want to be, but my doctor wouldn't see me and if I waited for another BC I would be waiting 60 days instead of 30. Dumb rather. Anyway, she gave me Differin while I wait for Accutane. It sucks, honestly. I remember Differin breaking me out some when I tried it earlier and it is now. I also switched to CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and CeraVe Moisturizing Cream since I can't use acne medications on Accutane. I'll be starting May 21st. I wish I could start earlier! I just have a few questions about what to use on Accutane:

What kind of face and body sunscreen did you use?

What kind of foundation? (I need to cover my face, I know it's bad. I was recommended DermaBlend by a makeup artist and wondering if you've had luck with that?)

If I take one pill, when would be the best time to take it?

Is there any foods I need to be eating less of while on Accutane?

What other kinds of products did you use while on Accutane?

Sorry for the questions.

MemberMember
(@runner7891)

Posted : 04/21/2014 5:19 pm

Hey, that's awesome that you will soon be starting Accutane! Best of luck!

Accutane(Isotretinoin) is better absorbed if taken with a fatty meal. Therefore take it with the fattiest meal of the day (usually dinner).

I try to eat pretty healthy while on Accutane, but your diet doesn't really need to be adjusted. But do drink plenty of water.

Face sunscreen that I use is Cetaphil oil moisturizer SPF 30. Works great for me.

Body sunscreen... really anything that you would normally use. (The special face sunscreens are pretty expensive).

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Any of the Cetaphil and CeraVe creams are great! And Aquaphor for the lips. That and chap stick!

MemberMember
(@joey231)

Posted : 04/21/2014 5:51 pm

My derm told me to take it after my day's last meal

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/21/2014 7:18 pm

Hey, that's awesome that you will soon be starting Accutane! Best of luck!

Accutane(Isotretinoin) is better absorbed if taken with a fatty meal. Therefore take it with the fattiest meal of the day (usually dinner).

I try to eat pretty healthy while on Accutane, but your diet doesn't really need to be adjusted. But do drink plenty of water.

Face sunscreen that I use is Cetaphil oil moisturizer SPF 30. Works great for me.

Body sunscreen... really anything that you would normally use. (The special face sunscreens are pretty expensive).

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Any of the Cetaphil and CeraVe creams are great! And Aquaphor for the lips. That and chap stick!

Alright, awesome. Thank you. I just hope my prescription isn't expensive. Ever since Obama Care, we used to pay $30 for a prescription and now we pat $130. I'm worried how much Accutane is going to be.

My derm told me to take it after my day's last meal

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@runner7891)

Posted : 04/21/2014 7:53 pm

For me, a 30 day supply cost $20.00. $20 a month isn't too bad. Usually people are on Accutane for approx. 6 months. I work in the medical field and my insurance is alright. But I guess it depends on what insurance you have...Also, some of the bigger costs come from lab work. So keep that in mind.

MemberMember
(@joey231)

Posted : 04/22/2014 5:21 am

I have 18 yrs old and currently student, and in my country in this case you get accutane for free

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/22/2014 1:49 pm

For me, a 30 day supply cost $20.00. $20 a month isn't too bad. Usually people are on Accutane for approx. 6 months. I work in the medical field and my insurance is alright. But I guess it depends on what insurance you have...Also, some of the bigger costs come from lab work. So keep that in mind.

Our insurance used to be good until the Obama Care. We're paying $100 more for prescriptions. My dermatologist put me back on Differin until Accutane and it cost $177! Like what the hell?! We're covered for lab (my mom gets it done a lot from her cancer she had a while ago) so I'm not worried about that.

I have 18 yrs old and currently student, and in my country in this case you get accutane for free

I live in America. They don't give you anything for free. lol

MemberMember
(@runner7891)

Posted : 04/22/2014 4:10 pm

I was on Differin gel before Accutane. It was pretty expensive for me too, even with insurance...not quite as much as you paid though...that's just insane!

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/27/2014 12:47 am

I was on Differin gel before Accutane. It was pretty expensive for me too, even with insurance...not quite as much as you paid though...that's just insane!

I was on it before maybe 2 years ago? I don't know. It was only $30 or $20. I don't like this new insurance crap. On the bright side, my iPledge papers came in the mail to register online!

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/27/2014 2:06 am

25 more days until Accutane. UGH.

Why is this going by so damn slow? I'm too anxious! I just want to start it! My face has gotten worse, of course. I have a bunch of small, red, nearly whitehead pimples on my forehead and 2 almost gone (I think) cysts near both my eyebrows. I have a bunch of hard red pimples on my lower cheeks and jawline and a few small pimples near my chin. It looks so bad. I recently cut my fingernails so short so I couldn't pop them. I've been putting dabs of Neosporin on the angry looking ones during the day to help with the pus and inflammation. I've been doing masks as well. Plain Greek yoghurt with ground up plain oatmeal and organic honey for 20 minutes to 30 minutes. VERY soothing and helps heal my pimples faster and makes my face look less red. I've also been eating healthier. I didn't have anything bad today (except 2 pieces of dark chocolate). I've been drinking smoothies with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit daily without sugar added, and have also been eating vegetables like celery and I haven't had milk in over a year! (I drink Blue Diamond Natural unsweetened original almond milk) I still have acne. I hate that word. ACK-KNEE. ACK is right. My boyfriend keeps telling me it isn't bad. Liar. I've also been steaming my face for 10 minutes maybe, once a week. I feel gross. Honestly, straight up gross.

MemberMember
(@joey231)

Posted : 04/27/2014 5:42 am

When I was about to start on my accutane, i was extremely happy and in a good mood...just because I was conscious that by taking that first pill, my life will change. You should be too, you will be acne-free soon! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/28/2014 7:07 am

When I was about to start on my accutane, i was extremely happy and in a good mood...just because I was conscious that by taking that first pill, my life will change. You should be too, you will be acne-free soon! Good luck!

Thank you! I'm very excited to start the road to clear skin. I don't even care if my acne gets worse while on it because I know that within 5 months, I should be clear.

MemberMember
(@joey231)

Posted : 04/28/2014 2:19 pm

Thank you! I'm very excited to start the road to clear skin. I don't even care if my acne gets worse while on it because I know that within 5 months, I should be clear.

I didn't get any kind of initial breakout, so hopefully you will be all clear without getting it worse

MemberMember
(@blackrosesxox)

Posted : 04/30/2014 4:59 pm

I didn't get any kind of initial breakout, so hopefully you will be all clear without getting it worse

That's awesome! I hope I don't get one. I'm prepared I guess if I happen to.

Skin update/21 more days until Accutane:

A dilemma came up. I got my iPledge ID number and password in the mail and last night I went to fill out the questions. Apparently my doctor isn't participating at all. She hasn't put in that I did my first pregnancy test, and she hasn't put in that I was counseled with my dermatologist about Accutane. It says my first pregnancy test is May 21st. Which is bullshit. I had my pregnancy test 30 days prior to May 21st and was suppose to get my second, and last pregnancy test on May 21st to start Accutane. I knew my doctor would do this. She's the kind of doctor who cancels your appointment last minute without warning. So if you take off work to see her, you're screwed. It's pathetic I think. She knows how much my acne bothers me and for her to not even acknowledge me is horrible. At least update my Accutane! GEEZ! RANT OVER.

Now for my skin update:

I stopped using the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser because I was in a little problem. I noticed my forehead was covered in very small red pimples so I took it upon myself to research some answers. Then it hit me. Maybe it's because the only acne treatment I'm using is Differin! I started using my Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash along with the Clean and Clear Advantage spot treatment on my forehead and it's been about 3 days, and I see a difference. On the downside, I think my toothpaste is breaking me out around my mouth. Ugh. I also have some little whiteheads on my chin and cheeks. The ones on my cheeks start very red and painful and then become whiteheads. Ew.