Notifications
Clear all

Is It Possible To Get A Base-Tan While On Accutane (40Mg/day)

MemberMember
(@daggs)

Posted : 04/21/2014 2:44 pm

I'm currently nearly on my second month of Accutane. These two weeks have been the first two weeks where I've started to see major improvement; however, I'm starting to look to the future - this Summer. I'll still be on the medication, 40mg/day at the least, when I go to the Caribbean in June, Soccer tournaments in June, soccer practices 1-2 times per day the months of July and August, and the beach on the weekends.

I realize that it would be best for me to stay out if the sun completely all summer, but that is frankly impossible. Last Summer when I had a similar schedule and was on Doxycycline I managed to come home burnt many days after soccer because even if I applied sunscreen, it's not easy keeping up with reapplying in between drills and sprints.

I'm fair, especially my back and chest. My legs and arms do get color without burning in the summer, even without really paying attention to them with sunscreen. I'm wondering if there is any way I could get a base tan in the tanning salon before summer starts to try to minimize any severe burns throughout the summer. Maybe a couple of minutes 2-3 times per week spread over a long time?

Is there a way to do this? (I'd like to add that my skin has been slightly drier while on the tane, but nothing crazy - no deep peeling)

And I realize that changing ones skin color in general are not safe, whether it be by means of a tanning bed or getting sunburnt, but I'd really like to minimize any possible pain for myself if possible because I'll be getting the UV rays one way or the other.

MemberMember
(@runner7891)

Posted : 04/21/2014 5:03 pm

Hey Bud. I used to tan before summer to get a base tan so that I would not burn. My skin tans pretty easily... However, I just started Accutane this month and I can tell you that I would definitely not use a tanning bed (or lay out in the sun) to get a base tan. For me, only 10 minutes outside in the sun gave me a sunburn while on Accutane. Although, everyone reacts a little different... I however apply sunscreen like crazy now. And with the sunscreen, I still get some color and no painful sunburn. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@autumnb822)

Posted : 04/21/2014 9:21 pm

i was on 40mg a day. i had the bright idea just to cover my face and get in the tanning bed for a few mins. no body told me not to. bad idea. my whole body peeled for days