Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics And Birth Control Together?

MemberMember
(@megs410)

Posted : 04/21/2014 9:48 am

Hi everyone,

I'm one of those people who never really had a pimple the whole time I was a teenager. However, I am now 21 and my face is exploding with cystic painful acne around my chin/mouth and one or two spots on my cheeks. I go to the derm in 2 days and I was wondering if anyone had any luck with antibiotics plus birth control for their acne? Are you clear and how long did it take to see results? Thanks

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/21/2014 10:31 am

I had awful, painful cystic acne all over my face, mostly my chin, mouth and jawline, like you, and I was put on Minocycline and I immediately saw drastic results within three weeks. By the third month, I was almost clear save for a couple little pimples (which i really didn't mind , i'd rather have tiny bumps rather than having quarter sized cysts). She then told me to continue on the antibiotic and added the birth control Alesse to see if the rest of the remaining acne would go away.

Today, I must say that my face has never been this clear since a year and half ago! I'm only on my first month on birth control, so I'm not sure of its true impact yet, and I'm still on minocycline, and I still have two months or so worth of prescription left. The true test is whether I can remain clear even without the antibio. :/

I still have post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation but that'll go away with time.

MemberMember
(@gaaabriellee)

Posted : 05/20/2014 6:30 pm

I was also put on Minocycline and Alesse. I started both at the same time though. I had clear skin for a year and a half, but my acne came back last september even I am still on Alesse... I'm thinking about going on another birth control pill to see if it helps ...

Good luck ! :)