Notifications
Clear all

Epsom Salts Anybody?

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 04/20/2014 5:31 pm

Has anybody tried Epsom salts, and if so, are they working long-term?

They seem like the next best thing to try for me, I had a sulfur soap that worked a treat but the other chemicals were REALLY harsh, and sooner or later it caused massive breakouts.

Considering epsom salt is just hydrated MgSO4 I think it holds promise, particularly since I know sulfur works.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has tried it long-term - I can find plenty of people saying they got clear using it but haven't seen any negative posts! (maybe a good thing haha)

MemberMember
(@5ive)

Posted : 04/20/2014 6:24 pm

It's weird that I read this topic, I just started using them!

I add them to my bath. It caused my skin to purge and it looks like a mess. It's been about a week and it's starting to clear. I don't know if I'm a huge fan of products that make me breakout at first!

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 04/25/2014 10:21 pm

That's a bit unlucky! Has it improved at all since?

I started mine today, it's only been 12 hours but they already look at lot better :) I made a solution which was way too concentrated (about 2.5mol dm^-3 to any chemists out there) which makes it quite drying, but it still appears to work quite well.

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 04/30/2014 2:50 am

About 5 days on from having started using this stuff and all I can say is... wow, it actually works! I wash my face with cold water than splash a 2mol dm^-3 solution of the salts on. So far I'm about 50-60% clear, which considering nothing else has worked, I am incredibly pleased with (might be even more than that, I'm having trouble telling what's scarring and what isn't)

Cold water seems more effective than washing with warm. I don't know why but washing with warm with anything has always made me break out horribly.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/03/2014 3:34 pm

I used epsom salts on my face when i first decided to try the natural route. It unfortunately made my acne much worse (cystic, inflammed) but it may work for you

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@spleenharvester)

Posted : 05/20/2014 12:24 pm

I've been using the Queen Helene mint mask everyone goes on about here for a while in conjunction with the epsom salts. But I found that using them both separately was a) a pain in the ass and b) required a lot of face washing which really didn't help.

So just out of curiosity I mixed a roughly 2.5M epsom salt solution with 8 parts of mask, then stirred in a bit more epsom salt for good luck. It actually seems to be working great, no adverse effects I can see so far. Only problem really is that the mask doesn't dry as well as it used to. Probably got the ratio of mask to solution wrong.

Once I've cleaned up my diet I should be able to tell how well it is working. While I'm on study leave I'm going to try salicylic acid and some other stuff too I think.

MemberMember
(@5ive)

Posted : 12/14/2014 10:17 pm

Its like a curse: everything that is the most effective for my skin always makes it worse before it gets better.

I've tried a similar homeopathic remedy: apple cider vinegar. It did not work for meat all.

Sulfur has always worked for me! I soak in es then my skin literally throws up for a bit and then clears up. Im sure if I stuck to a very clean eating diet I could bypass the purge. But I love my chips, pop and chocolate too much.

MemberMember
(@lady-ginger)

Posted : 01/13/2015 1:59 pm

I tried Epsom salts as a bath soak (and a more concentrated clean soaked flannel on my face). Didn't make a difference to my acne either way, better or worse. Slightly dried my skin but didn't help acne. I used it consistency for about two months.

Sorry that's not much help, just thought I should add my experience. :)