Notifications
Clear all

Feeling Down, Just Need To Vent.

MemberMember
(@ser3nity)

Posted : 04/18/2014 2:51 pm

Hi all,

I used to frequent these forums a lot, but stopped due to my skin improving quite a bit. Lately my scarring has been getting to me, so I thought I should probably come back so I could talk to people who actually understand what I'm coping with.

I've always had moderate acne, but had a very, very severe case 6 years ago where my whole face erupted. I stopped going to work and became a recluse as I had oozing pustules and cysts all over my face, and even had a low-grade fever due to the severity. It ended up being some kind of infection that even my doctor couldn't explain, so I was given prednisone, antibiotics, and eventually went on Accutane. My skin was clear for a while after that, and I felt more confident than ever.

Over these past few months, I've been breaking out quite a bit due to starting up a new birth control pill, but that's not what's getting to me. It's all of this awful scarring I was left with from what I went through 6 years ago. The thing that bothers me the most is when I smile, my face looks even more asymmetrical than it actually is due to a cluster of scars that sits where my right dimple is. I attached pictures of both sides of my face when I'm smiling so you can see what I'm talking about. I find myself getting extremely jealous of other women who have smooth skin, and I keep beating myself up over it. I hate that I can't leave home without makeup on, and hate it even more that it's impossible to cover up these deeper scars. I'm 29 now, and I figured at this age I would be mature enough to just let it go and accept the way I look, but I can't! I've also battled with depression for 16 years, so that obviously isn't helping me either.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent. It always helps to talk about this stuff!

(EDIT: I'm dumb, see pictures below!)

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 04/18/2014 4:54 pm

no indented scarring? you're so lucky. your 'scars' will go away with time. do everything possible to stop breaking out

MemberMember
(@ser3nity)

Posted : 04/18/2014 9:50 pm

Oh, god, no...I have TONS of indented scarring. Evidently I'm forum-impaired and didn't actually attach my pictures. This is the little cluster that bugs me compared to the other side of my face when I smile, but I have pits all over my entire face, too.

no indented scarring? you're so lucky. your 'scars' will go away with time. do everything possible to stop breaking out

MemberMember
(@thelongestroad)

Posted : 04/21/2014 3:58 pm

Not to belittle your feelings, but in this guy's opinion you have nothing to worry about. Your skin has a beautiful glow, and you've got a great smile and some of the prettiest eyes I've seen. Sometimes depression amplifies little flaws to the point where they overshadow the big picture. Just remember that no one else is going to notice them over how beatiful you are.

MemberMember
(@ser3nity)

Posted : 05/06/2014 6:48 pm

Not to belittle your feelings, but in this guy's opinion you have nothing to worry about. Your skin has a beautiful glow, and you've got a great smile and some of the prettiest eyes I've seen. Sometimes depression amplifies little flaws to the point where they overshadow the big picture. Just remember that no one else is going to notice them over how beatiful you are.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I wouldn't consider that belittling my feelings at all! You're very kind, and I definitely appreciate the feedback. You're certainly right about the depression as well - when I'm depressed, I feel AWFUL about my appearance, but on days where I'm feeling ok, I don't.

Thanks again!