Notifications
Clear all

Embarrassed To Go Buy Makeup.

MemberMember
(@paul7)

Posted : 04/17/2014 12:14 pm

Hi all. Recently I got a few breakouts that messed my face up pretty hard. I tried using some of my mother's products to try and cover my red marks but they didn't do anything. Some of the foundations were too flaky and the colors didn't match the color of my skin. I want to go and buy makeup cause I feel pretty bad these days, but I can't force myself to do it. I am embarrassed to do so, since it's not the most common thing in the world for a man to go and buy makeup. What should I do?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 04/18/2014 3:07 pm

Well you could go to a store that has self checkout lane? Unless you're looking for higher end makeup. I would maybe just try a tinted moisturizer, I think I've seen some guys on here mention the garnier bb cream (oil free).

MemberMember
(@lyannastark)

Posted : 04/21/2014 8:08 am

Or online! Oh the amount of embarrassing things I've bought online :-)

You could search for a specific product and check out the prices at Amazon or Sephora.

Garnier BB cream is great - it's a light coverage make up / moisturizer that can help hide blemishes. Be sure to get the oil free one though.

MemberMember
(@skybronte)

Posted : 04/23/2014 12:45 am

I personally don't recommend Garnier bb cream, it has a lot of fragrance in it and irritants. The Maybelliene one is a bit better but still has irritants. As for a guy buying makeup the easiest place I believe would be Sephora, I know a lot of the women there work with men who wear makeup daily. If you are embarrassed then they will not say a word to you about the fact its unusual. Another thing you can do is if you have a girl friend that has a similar skin color to you, you can research a product online and ask her to go to the store and get matched and buy it for you. Other than that if you really don't want to go in person then purchasing a BB cream online would be your best bet since they are sheer coverage and adjust to your skin tone fairly well. But they will not offer you high coverage at all. It may tone down the redness but definitely will not hide it completely. Try a drugstore like target, the people at the checkout may just think your are buying it for your mom or girlfriend! Remember you will probably never see these people in your life again! Who cares what they think; their standards don't define you! Good luck (-:

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 05/02/2014 3:58 pm

Buy Online, or at Sephora. I shop online more than in stores! Besides, there is a good chance you won't even see the same people at the store again. Make sure you get what you need for your skin type though! So you don't make things worse for your skin!

Here is also a few useful tips for concealing acne for guys ----> http://acne.about.com/od/concealingbreakouts/a/MakeupForMenToHideAcne.htm

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@ser3nity)

Posted : 05/06/2014 10:39 pm

Self-checkout or online is definitely the way to go. Also, you mentioned one of the products you tried being flaky... are you moisturizing before putting it on? That makes all the difference in the world when it comes to smooth concealer/foundation.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/28/2014 11:15 pm

I would suggest you should start moisturizing more. Try to exfoliate to get rid of the flakes still visible on your skin. Flakes become more noticable when using foundation/powders/tinted moisturizers.