Notifications
Clear all

Is A Little Dairy Okay?

MemberMember
(@mattthomas)

Posted : 04/16/2014 10:22 am

The only dairy I ever have is the smallest amount of milk in my cereal each morning, would I notice any difference in my acne/oily skin if I cut this minimal amount of dairy completely each day? Or can even the smallest amount in your system worsen skin?

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 04/16/2014 12:10 pm

I think it's a matter of both your own body and the brand. I have mo problem with small amounts of any kind of yogurt, but when it comes to milk i tried 2 brands, the one (only 50 ml) broke me out and the other didn't. You 'll only know for sure if you stop drinking for a few days.

MemberMember
(@mattthomas)

Posted : 04/16/2014 12:24 pm

I think it's a matter of both your own body and the brand. I have mo problem with small amounts of any kind of yogurt, but when it comes to milk i tried 2 brands, the one (only 50 ml) broke me out and the other didn't. You 'll only know for sure if you stop drinking for a few days.

Yeah I might just do that, thanks for the advice.

Can anyone recommend anything good that I can have for breakfast each morning that doesn't contain any dairy? I'd prefer if it was quick and easy, no matter how much I would like a nice fry up each morning, I don't think I would have the time!! :P

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/16/2014 12:30 pm

Can anyone recommend anything good that I can have for breakfast each morning that doesn't contain any dairy? I'd prefer if it was quick and easy, no matter how much I would like a nice fry up each morning, I don't think I would have the time!!

I like eating green smoothies and oatmeal in the morning. They're both quick and easy to make.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/16/2014 12:35 pm

why dont you try almond or coconut milk? its great stuff. they also make soy milk too but i think the almond and coconut milks are better for you. so delicious is my favorite kind. i also like that at whole foods they have a version of it that has stevia in it so it contains no sugar.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 04/16/2014 12:36 pm

Can anyone recommend anything good that I can have for breakfast each morning that doesn't contain any dairy? I'd prefer if it was quick and easy, no matter how much I would like a nice fry up each morning, I don't think I would have the time!!

My stomach feels too upset in the morning so i just eat one or two slices of whole grain bread with honey or jam made with fructose.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/16/2014 1:33 pm

Individual. It would be better if your little bit of dairy were a fermented product or butter.

And the cereal is just as likely to be a concern. What kind? A commercial box of empty calories?

Can anyone recommend anything good that I can have for breakfast each morning that doesn't contain any dairy? I'd prefer if it was quick and easy, no matter how much I would like a nice fry up each morning, I don't think I would have the time!! tongue.png

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 04/16/2014 2:29 pm

Can anyone recommend anything good that I can have for breakfast each morning that doesn't contain any dairy? I'd prefer if it was quick and easy, no matter how much I would like a nice fry up each morning, I don't think I would have the time!! tongue.png

My stomach feels too upset in the morning so i just eat one or two slices of whole grain bread with honey or jam made with fructose.

Yikes!!!

What? Have you never heard it? The only thing i can think of is that you thought i mix them.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/16/2014 4:57 pm

Yikes!!!

What? Have you never heard it? The only thing i can think of is that you thought i mix them.

Never heard of bread with honey or jam? Um, yeah. I was reacting to the high glycemic,. empty calorie breakfast. and fructose sweetened jam.

And if your stomach is upset, something much more digestible like fruit would be better.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 04/16/2014 6:43 pm

Yikes!!!

Never heard of bread with honey or jam? Um, yeah. I was reacting to the high glycemic,. empty calorie breakfast. and fructose sweetened jam.

And if your stomach is upset, something much more digestible like fruit would be better.

I am trying to gain weight. A spoon of honey or sugar free homemade jam isn't going to kill you especially when you exercise and watch your diet overall. It could be better but it could be a lot worse.

MemberMember
(@lauraaa)

Posted : 04/18/2014 6:42 pm

I second the almond milk. I am a huge fan of cereal and milk so this is one of the worst things about giving up dairy (and milk in my tea, I'm so English haha) but almond milk isn't too bad at all! For breakfast I have a mixture of Dorset cereal muesli and fruit and fibre bran flakes, with sliced banana and almond milk. It's low GI, keeps me full for ages and it's yummy :)

MemberMember
(@handsomedead94)

Posted : 04/19/2014 1:37 am

Seriously people. If you are not on the almond train you are living in the past. Dairy milk is so 2009 and is only excusable in baking recipes. I love me some almond milk or soy milk. You can substitute it for many recipes and its got like 3x the vitamins and minerals of regular milk, lasts longer, and is free of the dreaded hormones that are makin our children have all kind of defects!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/19/2014 1:46 pm

Yikes!!!

I am trying to gain weight. A spoon of honey or sugar free homemade jam isn't going to kill you especially when you exercise and watch your diet overall. It could be better but it could be a lot worse.

Of course it isn't going to kill you. But if that's the sum total of the food you eat at breakfast, it's a high glycemic meal which is inflammatory, and elevates hormones & thus bad for acne.

MemberMember
(@sundancekid)

Posted : 04/19/2014 2:37 pm

I cut a lot of diary from my diet since a year ago. I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I feel as though just not drinking or ingesting that much dairy will help. Just by switching to almond milk in your cereal will take out, on a weekly basis, a lot of dairy (even though its in many other things we eat). I have noticed that I rarely get outbreaks anymore, much less than I was getting a year ago.

MemberMember
(@heh2)

Posted : 04/23/2014 6:03 am

I prefer oat milk with added calcium. It doesnt break me out and the taste isnt too bad. I actually like it.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 04/25/2014 2:06 pm

I have trouble with regular cow's milk, but no problems with a little fermented dairy like keifer, cheese, yogurt etc if they are not sweetened. I also am not sensitive to goat's milk, so you might try that. I'd avoid it if you're still having problems with your skin. I didn't add back yogurt and cheese (occasionally) until I was completely cleared up. Give your body a chance to adjust. Also, cereal is pretty high carb, so maybe just start a new morning routine with protein and fat instead of a carbohydrate.

MemberMember
(@animals)

Posted : 04/29/2014 3:39 pm

i can drink raw milk (any kind) and kefir, try it :) no acne for a while and I've been drinking milk everyday

MemberMember
(@jari-litmanen)

Posted : 05/01/2014 4:14 am

Here in Scandinavia milk plays a big part in our diets, and I used to drink anything from one to two liters daily. Just cutting milk was enough for me. I still eat things like cheese and butter, and fermented dairy products common here like skyr, viili and piima.