Notifications
Clear all

What Type Of Scarring Is Generally Easier To Fix? Or Shows The Best Results?

MemberMember
(@roseoralilly)

Posted : 04/16/2014 6:07 am

Hi,

I was wondering what type of scarring is generally the easiest to treat.

Obviously the depth matters. So say they're all considered shallow, what would be easiest to treat, shallow ice picks, shallow boxcar or shallow rolling scars?

Which could see results from the least invasive treatments and such.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/16/2014 6:33 am

bump

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 04/16/2014 8:02 am

This confuses me also and I hope somebody is knowledgeable in this area as I have read such contradicting information. From the results on here, the easiest to treat seem to be rolling scars. The hardest from what the majority of derms say is ice pick scars - there seems literally no treatment for these at all apart from perhaps excision and TCA cross, which carry much risk of making them even worse and the results if successful are quite limited.

MemberMember
(@aznkid77)

Posted : 04/16/2014 9:45 am

Rolling scars are definitely the easiest type to fix

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/16/2014 11:32 am

but ice pick scars are more common :(

everybody has at least a couple of tiny ice pick scars

MemberMember
(@bioneedle)

Posted : 04/16/2014 6:59 pm

Rolling scars are probably the easiest to treat.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/16/2014 9:58 pm

Hardest - Ice Pick

Easiest - Rolling

MemberMember
(@pursuit-of-happyness)

Posted : 04/17/2014 4:33 pm

i think rolling scars and also when it's shallow, it's not look bad at all.. subcision works so good for rolling scars !!

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 04/19/2014 6:43 am

Hi,

I was wondering what type of scarring is generally the easiest to treat.

Obviously the depth matters. So say they're all considered shallow, what would be easiest to treat, shallow ice picks, shallow boxcar or shallow rolling scars?

Which could see results from the least invasive treatments and such.

I don't think there's such a thing as shallow ice-pick scars because of the way they are formed. But you can have shallow or deep rolling/box cars

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/19/2014 8:40 am

perigon how are ice pick scars formed?

I've a couple of them in my cheeks and they look very small, just like big pores. Isn't that considered shallow? :(

MemberMember
(@taurus_girl)

Posted : 04/19/2014 9:42 am

perigon how are ice pick scars formed? I've a couple of them in my cheeks and they look very small, just like big pores. Isn't that considered shallow? :(

Me too. I'm not sure how to class mine. They look like icepicks but not as deep. They are worse than open pores (although I have those too). Maybe they are narrow boxscars.

MemberMember
(@perigon)

Posted : 04/19/2014 10:02 am

perigon how are ice pick scars formed?

I've a couple of them in my cheeks and they look very small, just like big pores. Isn't that considered shallow?

perigon how are ice pick scars formed? I've a couple of them in my cheeks and they look very small, just like big pores. Isn't that considered shallow?

Me too. I'm not sure how to class mine. They look like icepicks but not as deep. They are worse than open pores (although I have those too). Maybe they are narrow boxscars.

I wrote a really long reply to these, and then my page reloaded when a box popped up asking me to make an avatar :( . I'll try sum up what i wrote as quick as i can.

Shelbyville you might just have narrow boxcars. The main difference between ice pick scars and the other two, is that an ice pick scar is 'open' from the outer skin right down to where the tissue is lost. Rolling and usually boxcars (not 100% sure about boxcars) have the same original outer tissue but are depressed due to loss of tissue underneath them. Just from this you can see why ice pick scars are the deepest.

Ice pick scars are formed from small spots and thus can be a result of having even mild acne if you pick at them. I'm don't know as much about boxcars as i do about ice pick and rolling, but I assume they don't tend to form just from mild acne. Rolling scars on the other hand occur almost exclusively due to cystic acne. The unfortunate thing about them is that they tend to form even if you don't touch your face.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/19/2014 10:53 am

Thank you perigon. Can you suggest some articles or threads about ice pick scars?

I didn't understand very well because English isn't my native language. Are you saying ice pick scars are even deeper than what we can see?

Well, maybe I have ice pick scars because my scars are from popping and "messing around" a inflamed pimple.

I know boxcars are formed because skin is pushed down to heal properly so the outer layer is unharmed but what about ice pick scars?

I would be very happy if you share your knowledge about ice pick scars. If you are busy pm me whenever you can :)

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/19/2014 12:05 pm

I never had severe acne but I've had moderate acne. I read your post once, twice... XD but now I believe I got it. As far as I understood ice pick scars are like cuts, made from outer skin to the inner layers and so all the tissue is lost. However, unlike ice pick scars, boxcars result from an internal harm so the outer layers remain intact.

But, I think that doesn't explain why ice pick scars is worse. Shallow ice pick should be a lot easier to fix than shallow boxcar because boxcar are usually wider...

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 05/28/2014 6:35 pm

SilverOreganoOlive, what did your efforts entail?