Notifications
Clear all

High Insulin Levels- Extreme Oily Skin!

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 04/14/2014 2:13 pm

Hi guys,

So Id like to pick your brains on something- Ive figured out the underlying cause of my SUPER oily skin. Im happy I finally have my acne portion under control- however I really need to cure my oil problem as its excessive and causes me a lot of stress and anxiety. I went for blood work last week and my doctor sent me for more because he believes I may have high insulin levels.

After researching like crazy Ive realized this directly affects sebum production and androgens as well. He also prescribed me Diane 35 which is an anti-androgen birth control. I dont want to have to take it- as Ive been off birth control for 3 months now without issues, Id love to keep it that way. In order for me to treat my insulin resistance and cure my oily skin- I know my diet has to continue being very good.

About 3 months ago I completely cut out all dairy, sugar, gluten, wheat and grains. I eat veggies, meat, eggs , nuts and nut butters and occasionally some rice cakes with coconut spread and cheese/butter for fat and fruit maybe a few times a week. I cook everything in extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and make desserts with coconut or almond flour. Now- its been 3 months and like I said, my acne is gone- but the oil is not.

Ive read millions of studies on simple carbohydrates causing insulin spikes and of course this is obvious. But after cutting those out for 3 months, I cant understand why my oily skin is still there?

Ive also recently read about cutting out all fruit/grains(even my beloved rices cakes) because that can cause insulin spikes.

And the whole reason Im writing this is because today I came across a few articles saying that any animal protein- such as meat, eggs and butter- can cause HUGE insulin spikes- twice as much as white pasta.

This completely boggled my mind! Does anyone have any input on this? Has anyone cured insulin resistance and more specifically oily

skin from it? With what diet?!

If anyone would like sources- Ill go back and find the articles.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 04/14/2014 2:25 pm

my insulin levels are low and my skin is still oily on a scale from 1-10 there like 5

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/14/2014 8:34 pm

I have the same questions. Oily skin annoys me more than my acne tbh, and I'd love to figure out how to get rid of it completely. I eat only veggies, fruit, oats, and chicken and my skin is still more oily than a normal person's skin. That's really interesting about the meat causing insulin spikes; I hadn't heard that before.

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 04/15/2014 4:21 pm

Hey Paigems!

I also have an article that says we should be treating fruit like a peice of candy..because it causes such drastic insulin spikes. I truly dont know what to believe anymore! Some say fruit/meat are fine and some say to stay away..Theres a big difference between the glycemic index and the insulin index. I hope theres more input to come!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/15/2014 6:43 pm

You shouldn't have to avoid meat. It's dairy that's particularly high in the insulinemic amino acids.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/15/2014 11:24 pm

I don't think meat causes huge insulin spikes...what kind of meat specifically?

You should eat something every 2-3 hours to prevent insulin spikes. Regular snacking is just as important as what you eat.

It takes MONTHS if not more for hormones to stabilize, so I wouldn't expect any changes with oil production for at least 6 months. You can try witch hazel topically for oil control, it works for some people.

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 04/16/2014 4:00 am

I have the same questions. Oily skin annoys me more than my acne tbh, and I'd love to figure out how to get rid of it completely. I eat only veggies, fruit, oats, and chicken and my skin is still more oily than a normal person's skin. That's really interesting about the meat causing insulin spikes; I hadn't heard that before.

Hello if i eat rolled oats I have an insulin spike and get acne. Replace the oats with coarse oatmeal or steel cut oatmeal

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 04/19/2014 6:24 pm

Pure Meat (no grizzle) is all protein therefore is 0 carbs and carries no glycemic response. Its why diabetics who count carbs do not include meat as a carb to be counted therefore no insulin is given.

This isn't a problem unless you are burning fat or protein as a primary source of energy in which this is bad to begin with unless you don't care to lose a kidney a or two.