Notifications
Clear all

What Supplements Normalize Sebum?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/13/2014 5:50 pm

Does anyone know what supplement(s) help normalize ("thin out") sebum, making it less thick/sticky and, thus, less likely to cause breakouts?

I recall an Acne.org member mentioning that a certain supplement--or supplements?--helps reduce the viscosity of sebum but can't recall what was recommended.

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 04/13/2014 7:28 pm

highdose of vitamin a ?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/13/2014 9:43 pm

highdose of vitamin a ?

High Vit. A (Accutane) greatly reduces skin's oil production, but it's not the vitamin previously mentioned as "thinning" out sebum. I'm almost 100% certain it's one of the B vitamins, I just can't recall which one. :(

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 04/14/2014 2:17 am

Vitamin A will cause dryness of the sebum, but im not sure it will "thin it out" like mucinex mucomyst does to mucus. I would assume water helps, but i am also curious about vitamins. Its probably a b vitamin as someone said earlier.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 7:53 am

Vitamin A will cause dryness of the sebum, but im not sure it will "thin it out" like mucinex mucomyst does to mucus. I would assume water helps, but i am also curious about vitamins. Its probably a b vitamin as someone said earlier.

I'm still trying to remember what another forum member had said, but I'm positive it was one of the B vitamins.... I've skimmed through this article ( http://www.progressivehealth.com/acne-vitamins.htm ) but don't see it claiming that any of the B vitamins mentioned change the viscosity of sebum.

The very end of the piece, though, mentions that Vit. E prevents sebaceous-gland oil "from going rancid and turning hard," thus preventing it from clogging pores with hardened sebum. Too bad no recommended adult dosages are given for any of the vitamins mentioned.

MemberMember
(@lilacorder)

Posted : 04/14/2014 8:33 am

I have heard that vitamin B5 is supposed to help, although I'm not sure how (or if) it impacts sebum production. I recently started taking B5 in addition to zinc, vitamin A, and vitamin E as these are all supposedly good combatants of acne. Here's hoping that, with these vitamins plus The Regimen, I can control my blemishes and heal my skin both internally and externally. We shall see!!

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 9:27 am

I have heard that vitamin B5 is supposed to help, although I'm not sure how (or if) it impacts sebum production. I recently started taking B5 in addition to zinc, vitamin A, and vitamin E as these are all supposedly good combatants of acne. Here's hoping that, with these vitamins plus The Regimen, I can control my blemishes and heal my skin both internally and externally. We shall see!!

Would you mind sharing the daily dosages that you're taking of each supplement? And, please, keep us posted on your progress with that particular combination. I'm be very curious to know how promising it might be for the rest of us. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your age? (If you don't want to answer here, you can shoot me a PM; or just let me know what decade you're in. Heh-heh...)

MemberMember
(@lilacorder)

Posted : 04/14/2014 11:24 am

Would you mind sharing the daily dosages that you're taking of each supplement? And, please, keep us posted on your progress with that particular combination. I'm be very curious to know how promising it might be for the rest of us.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your age? (If you don't want to answer here, you can shoot me a PM; or just let me know what decade you're in. Heh-heh...)

I don't mind. I'm 37 years old, and here are the amounts I'm taking per day:

* Vitamin A = 10,000 IU

* Zinc = 50mg

* Vitamin E = 400 IU

* Vitamin B5 (aka Pantothenic Acid) = 500mg

You have to be careful with zinc and A as overdosing can be toxic. After doing some research, I felt comfortable with 50mg of zinc maximum and 10,000 IU of A maximum on the daily. (Those seem to be within safe, recommended limits.)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 11:38 am

* Vitamin A = 10,000 IU

* Zinc = 50mg

* Vitamin E = 400 IU

You have to be careful with zinc and A as overdosing can be toxic. After doing some research, I felt comfortable with 50mg of zinc maximum and 10,000 IU of A maximum on the daily. (Those seem to be within safe, recommended limits.)

Then you're in glad company; I turn 38 next month.

I know that my stomach is very sensitive to Zinc. It's fine if I take it as part of a multi-vitamin, but taking even the lowest possible dose of just Zinc makes me vomit. So now I wonder if combining Zinc with those other four vitamins might prevent nausea issues? Hmm...

MemberMember
(@lilacorder)

Posted : 04/14/2014 12:34 pm

* Vitamin A = 10,000 IU

* Zinc = 50mg

* Vitamin E = 400 IU

Then you're in glad company; I turn 38 next month.

I know that my stomach is very sensitive to Zinc. It's fine if I take it as part of a multi-vitamin, but taking even the lowest possible dose of just Zinc makes me vomit. So now I wonder if combining Zinc with those other four vitamins might prevent nausea issues? Hmm...

Happy [early] birthday! It's nice to correspond with someone in my same age group. Doesn't it SUCK still having to deal with acne in our late 30s?!?

So far I luckily haven't experienced any stomach issues with the zinc. I take it (and the other aforementioned supplements) before bed in conjunction with a big glass of water enhanced with Natural Calm (powdered magnesium - better absorption than capsules/tablets, or so I've read). It could very well be a "perfect storm" of supplements that prevents nausea for me, or perhaps because it's nighttime and I'm in a resting state?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 4:05 pm

Happy [early] birthday! It's nice to correspond with someone in my same age group. Doesn't it SUCK still having to deal with acne in our late 30s?!?

So far I luckily haven't experienced any stomach issues with the zinc. I take it (and the other aforementioned supplements) before bed in conjunction with a big glass of water enhanced with Natural Calm (powdered magnesium - better absorption than capsules/tablets, or so I've read). It could very well be a "perfect storm" of supplements that prevents nausea for me, or perhaps because it's nighttime and I'm in a resting state?

I've sent you a PM in response. :)

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/14/2014 8:36 pm

Vitamin C does for me. I have no idea why, though.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/14/2014 9:39 pm

Do you mean that Vit. C makes you feel sick to your stomach, or that it helps with your skin's sebum production (in terms of making you break out less)?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/14/2014 10:57 pm

Do you mean that Vit. C makes you feel sick to your stomach, or that it helps with your skin's sebum production (in terms of making you break out less)?

It reduces the amount of oil my skin produces.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/15/2014 7:34 am

It reduces the amount of oil my skin produces.

That's really interesting. I haven't noticed it do the same for me, but it does reduce the inflammation I've had from more superficial acne. It's not done a thing for any cyst or nodule I've ever had, though. :(

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 04/15/2014 10:13 am

Apparently, a study conducted by a Dr. Lit-Hung Leung was very successful in treating acne with high doses of vitamin B5 (10 grams throughout the day). I remember researching this and found a lot of people had cured their long-term acne using this method and had reported significant reduction in pore size. I was put off trying this because of the ridiculous high dosage, even though I read that it is not dangerous with this vitamin as the body gets rid of what it doesn't need.

After researching a lot, I learned of people that had negative side affects due to taking this high dosage long-term, including severe depression, anxiety and various other health problems. That put a stop to any curiosity I had.

I think supplements are great and can help tremendously if used sensibly.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/15/2014 10:30 am

Read:

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/16/2014 11:49 am

For me, I think vitamin D (supplement D2) made me more oily. Can't understand why...maybe the oil in it or something.