Notifications
Clear all

Which Supplements Worsen Acne?

MemberMember
(@catty)

Posted : 04/11/2014 10:23 pm

Hi all,

I just bought a large amount of supplements and wondered if you could tell me if any of these can make acne worse?

Vitamin A

Vitamin B12

Vitamin C

Vitamin D3

Vitamin E

Biotin

Niacinamide

Zinc

Iron

MSM

I'm taking the A, C, D3, E and zinc specifically to help my acne. The rest I am taking to help my hair grow. I read a few things that said vitamin B12 and biotin can make acne worse. Is this proven? Has anyone here had problems with their skin getting worse when taking any of these?

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/12/2014 7:56 am

MSM gave me a weird acne mostly along my spine from the neck down. And it took a long time to stop, well after I quit taking the supplement.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/12/2014 8:19 am

Biotin causes acne for a lot of people.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@jari-litmanen)

Posted : 04/12/2014 9:18 am

Usually just if you overdo it, something that can happen with hair and nail supplements. I used to eat one with 5mg biotin in it and got one of my worst breakouts ever that took weeks to clear up. Now I eat 300mcg as part of a b-complex and it doesn't break me up.

MemberMember
(@talon)

Posted : 04/12/2014 9:22 am

Selenium is good for thinning hair.

MemberMember
(@jari-litmanen)

Posted : 04/12/2014 9:38 am

Selenium is good for thinning hair.

Seconded. Buy some brazil nuts. They cost next to nothing and just a few day is more than enough.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/12/2014 5:32 pm

Usually just if you overdo it, something that can happen with hair and nail supplements. I used to eat one with 5mg biotin in it and got one of my worst breakouts ever that took weeks to clear up. Now I eat 300mcg as part of a b-complex and it doesn't break me up.

I know lots of people, myself included who also break out from the amount of biotin in b complexes. Usually the amount of biotin in a b complex is way more than the amount required in one day.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 04/13/2014 7:09 am

depends on the ingredients its made with also , i avoided stuff like soybean oil

MemberMember
(@catty)

Posted : 04/28/2014 9:22 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. I've decided to add the B vitamins gradually. I've started off with taking 3000mcg of Biotin, and if it hasn't broken me out after around 3 weeks , I'll add the B12, then the Niacin. I'll post my results soon. Hopefully they won't break me out as I have the clearest skin I've had for a long time at the moment.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/29/2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for the replies folks. I've decided to add the B vitamins gradually. I've started off with taking 3000mcg of Biotin, and if it hasn't broken me out after around 3 weeks , I'll add the B12, then the Niacin. I'll post my results soon. Hopefully they won't break me out as I have the clearest skin I've had for a long time at the moment.

Why do you want to take biotin?

MemberMember
(@catty)

Posted : 04/30/2014 2:55 am

To grow my hair! Might sound silly but I'm growing out a pixie cut and I'm impatient!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/30/2014 11:20 am

To grow my hair! Might sound silly but I'm growing out a pixie cut and I'm impatient!

Why not take silica or eat more protein instead? Both of those work pretty well without risking breakouts.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 04/30/2014 8:24 pm

Taking niacin prompts you to take other b vitamins like biotin otherwise you end up developing persistent flushing. I read this recently because i started taking slow release niacin for anxiety, and jitters recommended by a friend. The benefits he said are epic-his words not mine- stating it even helps with mild depression.

I think b vitamins are great as along as when you supplement the values are not in epic proportions like 1000% RDA.

MemberMember
(@catty)

Posted : 11/06/2014 1:45 am

Just thought I'd update and say that I introduced all the vitamins and supplements slowly and none of them made me break out! My hair has not grown that much though

MemberMember
(@bacterion)

Posted : 11/19/2014 5:05 pm

Don't take iron!! There are many studies that prove that:

1. iron is essential for bacterial development and growth

2. People with acne tend to have excess iron levels

I don't remember where I've seen them, but google them.