Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Pimple

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/11/2014 12:42 pm

So I'm in the early days of my 5th month of accutane, and I developed a dark red pimple about four days ago. Every day it grew a little larger, and today it is a huge whitehead the (size of the head of a pencil eraser). It's sore and I'm afraid of popping it. Is there a way to get rid of this nasty zit without getting a scar or a huge hyper pigmentation spot? Scarring is my biggest concern.

And importantly, should I still be getting large pimples like this on accutane? I was under the impression that I wouldn't be getting these anymore. Is this an indication that the treatment isn't going to work as hoped?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 04/11/2014 1:08 pm

I don't think it indicates the medication isn't working, perhaps it's just the last remnants of a very deep rooted nodule. Call your derm and have him fit you in for a cortisone shot (since it only takes a couple of minutes, most derms will be able to fit you in immediately). It will dramatically reduce the pain and inflammation, as well as the risk of scarring. I have had several cortisone injections for inflamed cysts and nodules and have not suffered any permanent effects (i.e. the often cited and greatly feared atrophy effect).

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/11/2014 2:04 pm

This pimple seems to have appeared over a spot where an underground bump of some kind had been for well over a year. It had been a flesh colored almost flat bump. I'm wondering if this pimple is a result of that? I'm not able to get steroid shots because I am one of the unlucky few who has gotten a dent where the steroid was injected. So I'm not willing to take that chance again. Is there any other way to deal with this, or should I try to be patient and let it pop on its own? Thank you for your reply also :)

I don't think it indicates the medication isn't working, perhaps it's just the last remnants of a very deep rooted nodule. Call your derm and have him fit you in for a cortisone shot (since it only takes a couple of minutes, most derms will be able to fit you in immediately). It will dramatically reduce the pain and inflammation, as well as the risk of scarring. I have had several cortisone injections for inflamed cysts and nodules and have not suffered any permanent effects (i.e. the often cited and greatly feared atrophy effect).