Notifications
Clear all

Any Help Or Advice Please? [Pic]

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 04/11/2014 11:47 am

Hey everyone,

I have three main problems with my skin:

1. Wake up with oily skin. Go in the shower then my skin is really dry afterwards, then by mid morning I'm back to being really oily

2. Lots and lots of open pores and blackheads

3. Uneven red skin and complexion

I've had this for close to 6 years now and I'd really like some advice on what to do.

At the moment I'm doing the oil cleansing method with Jojoba oil and Grapeseed oil but I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Here's a picture for reference:

It actually looks worse in person, I think the camera flash masks this a bit.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@anthonykell)

Posted : 04/11/2014 11:50 am

Hi stage1,

I would recommend a spray called Ketsugo.

I used it before and it was great for controlling my oily skin. It's not cheap (around 11 for a bottle) but it lasts for a long time as you only need a couple of sprays a day.

Also, try using an oil-free moisturiser. Nivea has one called oil-free moisturising fluid. You could use this during the day.

At night, use a heavier cream to combat the dryness.

I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 04/11/2014 6:02 pm

Hi stage1,

I would recommend a spray called Ketsugo.

I used it before and it was great for controlling my oily skin. It's not cheap (around 11 for a bottle) but it lasts for a long time as you only need a couple of sprays a day.

Also, try using an oil-free moisturiser. Nivea has one called oil-free moisturising fluid. You could use this during the day.

At night, use a heavier cream to combat the dryness.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for replying. I have tried searching for the Ketsugo spray however it seems to have been discontinued. Do you know of a website that stocks it? I am in the UK. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@anthonykell)

Posted : 04/11/2014 10:59 pm

Hi again,

yes, it seems to have been discontinued. I found these websites that seem to have some in stock:

[Removed]

[Removed]

[Removed]

Perhaps you should call and confirm that they have them in stock. Try it and if it does work for you, quickly buy a few more bottles so that you have a good supply.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/13/2014 3:08 am

Topical treatments, if anything, will make your skin more oily. Oil cleansing can often lead to comedones. So maybe you should pause that for a bit.

In my experience, oily skin is often caused by a poor diet. You could try doing the paleo diet for 2 weeks and watching for improvement. I would do both the paleo diet and the limited washing. Also minimize time spent in hot showers.

Don't bother with isotretinoin. While sebum production is indeed inhibited during the treatment, it will return to normal levels within a month after treatment.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 04/13/2014 3:46 pm

On 4/12/2014 at 9:59 AM, anthonykell said:

Hi again,

yes, it seems to have been discontinued. I found these websites that seem to have some in stock:

[Removed]

[Removed]

[Removed]

Perhaps you should call and confirm that they have them in stock. Try it and if it does work for you, quickly buy a few more bottles so that you have a good supply.

Contacted all of those sites and they no longer stock it even though it's on the website :( but thank you for providing the information.

On 4/13/2014 at 2:08 PM, Quetzlcoatl said:

Topical treatments, if anything, will make your skin more oily. Oil cleansing can often lead to comedones. So maybe you should pause that for a bit.

In my experience, oily skin is often caused by a poor diet. You could try doing the paleo diet for 2 weeks and watching for improvement. I would do both the paleo diet and the limited washing. Also minimize time spent in hot showers.

Don't bother with isotretinoin. While sebum production is indeed inhibited during the treatment, it will return to normal levels within a month after treatment.

Thank you for replying.

I looked up the paleo diet however it is quite near to what I eat at the moment. I don't eat processed food and stick to mostly fresh fish, beef, eggs but I do eat potaoes and peanut butter. I also try to stay gluten free but I'm not sure that works either. I only take warm showers but I did try a phase of cold showers and that showed no improvement either. Unfortunately if I don't take a shower every two days I tend to smell which I can't really mask with deodorant.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/13/2014 4:02 pm

Thank you for replying.

I looked up the paleo diet however it is quite near to what I eat at the moment. I don't eat processed food and stick to mostly fresh fish, beef, eggs but I do eat potaoes and peanut butter. I also try to stay gluten free but I'm not sure that works either. I only take warm showers but I did try a phase of cold showers and that showed no improvement either. Unfortunately if I don't take a shower every two days I tend to smell which I can't really mask with deodorant.

Hm, that's interesting. You could try supplementing with vitamin D3. It's good for both acne and oil and is very safe. You could probably take 5000iu a day for a month, see if it helps. Vitamin D takes a while to accumulate in tissues.

Pantethine (not B5/pantothenic acid, rather a B5 dimer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantethine ) is useful for reducing oily skin as well. It didn't do a whole lot for my acne but it made my skin dry, and I don't have oily skin. It began working after about a week, and I think I was taking maybe 2 450mg capsules a day. Don't overdose on this, as some people have reported vitamin B5 induced hair loss at high doses (~6+ grams/day) for extended periods of time. Pantethine isn't quite B5 but it could share some of the side effects.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 04/14/2014 3:54 pm

Thank you for replying.

Hm, that's interesting. You could try supplementing with vitamin D3. It's good for both acne and oil and is very safe. You could probably take 5000iu a day for a month, see if it helps. Vitamin D takes a while to accumulate in tissues.

Pantethine (not B5/pantothenic acid, rather a B5 dimer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantethine ) is useful for reducing oily skin as well. It didn't do a whole lot for my acne but it made my skin dry, and I don't have oily skin. It began working after about a week, and I think I was taking maybe 2 450mg capsules a day. Don't overdose on this, as some people have reported vitamin B5 induced hair loss at high doses (~6+ grams/day) for extended periods of time. Pantethine isn't quite B5 but it could share some of the side effects.

Thanks again for replying, much appreciated. I have tried Vitamin D3 before for a bout 2 months taking 2000iu a day however it didn't help or lessen oil production. I'm quite hesitant to take B5 as well since I've already got a slight receding hairline so I will probably steer clear but thanks for the advice.