Notifications
Clear all

Gap Between Finishing One Month And Starting Another?

MemberMember
(@kim0728)

Posted : 04/10/2014 5:00 pm

I need to get my next 30-day supply of pills by May 6 in order to continuously take them (Day One was April 7 for me). However, my doctor can't see me until May 12! Has anyone ever stopped taking Accutane for a short time (about a week) and started again and if so, did that set you back in your treatment?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/10/2014 5:30 pm

I believe there was a study done where the experimental group took isotretinoin 20mg 2x a day for the first week of every month (and then 3 weeks without), while the control group took 20mg 1x a day. The results were similar, even though the experimental group took essentially half the dose of the control group (the experimental group had more recurrences after treatment and slightly less efficacy, but that was probably due to dose).

So it should be fine.

MemberMember
(@kim0728)

Posted : 04/10/2014 7:23 pm

Thank you so very much! My mind is at ease. :)

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 04/11/2014 4:04 pm

Actually, I read that study (I'd be willing to bet it was the same one). The conclusion of the study was basically that daily dosing doesn't effect outcomes, unless you dose intermittently, which worsens outcomes. Not by a lot, but by enough that the authors recommended against it.

However, I don't think it is applicable to missing a week during your course. This study was people who did this as their method of taking the drug (once a week every month) - not people who missed a dose here or there.

I missed a week once for reasons similar to yours. My lips got a little less chapped, so that was nice. Otherwise nothing happened. I was clear by then and stayed that way. Don't sweat it.

MemberMember
(@kim0728)

Posted : 04/11/2014 10:46 pm

Actually, I read that study (I'd be willing to bet it was the same one). The conclusion of the study was basically that daily dosing doesn't effect outcomes, unless you dose intermittently, which worsens outcomes. Not by a lot, but by enough that the authors recommended against it.

However, I don't think it is applicable to missing a week during your course. This study was people who did this as their method of taking the drug (once a week every month) - not people who missed a dose here or there.

I missed a week once for reasons similar to yours. My lips got a little less chapped, so that was nice. Otherwise nothing happened. I was clear by then and stayed that way. Don't sweat it.

Thanks Kim!