Notifications
Clear all

I Give Up

MemberMember
(@liferuinedbyacne)

Posted : 04/07/2014 10:28 pm

I am a 24 year old girl. I used to have a great social life, dated a lot, had great relationships and was confident and generally happy with my appearance.

Now, acne has hijacked and ruined my life. For the past two years I have been in a losing battle, and after turning my whole life inside out over and over, I give up.

I've been to three dermatologists. I've been on five different oral prescriptions. I've been on countless topical prescriptions. I've tried every natural remedy, topical and otherwise. I've transformed my diet and given up most of the foods I love, to the point where I don't enjoy eating anymore at all. I exercise all the time. I've essentially given up drinking. I don't drink coffee. If there's an acne treatment of any kind that you've heard about or done yourself, I've done it and it's failed. I've spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. Hundreds, maybe thousands of hours. And all of it has been for nothing.

I used to be a happy, confident person. Now I haven't dated anyone in a year. I've spent weekends hiding at home trying to get rid of the monstrosities on my face. Every time I think I'm getting close to being clear or that something is finally working, I break out again. I'm miserable and alone and completely defeated. I give up.

I wish there was more discussion and acknowledgement about how psychologically torturous acne is. I've been through brain surgery, seizures and several other serious medical conditions, and I would sooner repeat any of those experiences than continue to suffer, day in and day out, month after month, year after year, from the evil crippling curse that is acne. No one should ever have to go through it and if my life has been so thoroughly destroyed by it, I'm sure thousands of others are suffering the same fate. When I try to express my emotional misery and suffering to my family, they laugh and tell me I'm being dramatic. Even though I am longing to be in a relationship and start a life with someone, I can't date in this condition and at the rate I'm going it's never going to let up. What's the point of my living at all if I have to live like this? Hiding from the world out of shame and misery? Covered with scars and cysts and breakouts of all shapes and sizes, that no amount of makeup can cover? Trying new remedies over and over, thinking this might finally be the one, only to have another break out the next day.

Well, acne, I give up. You've ruined my life. You've prevented me from enjoying what should have been my happiest years. You've taken all my money, all my time, all my emotion, all my joy. Well, you win. I give up.

MemberMember
(@pizzafaceboy)

Posted : 04/08/2014 12:32 am

You're story is truly heart breaking , and believe me when i say i know how it feels. To hide from the world to avoid any social interaction afraid of people judging what's on your face. Acne is extremely mentally damaging not just to appearance but to you're confiedence and happiness. I know alot of people have been telling you "it gets better, It's just a phase" It's not. It dosent get better acne will come back no matter what you do. But you can PREVENT acne, i know you said you have tried every treatment, have you tried accutane? acne.org's regimen? You should really give it a go and be patient for wounds heal with time. I support you and give you sympathy for your journey.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 04/08/2014 6:55 am

Have you tried Roaccutane? It was the only thing that worked for me in the end and gave me back my life. Hate seeing other people suffer like this.

MemberMember
(@mehorder)

Posted : 04/09/2014 8:27 pm

I feel your pain :/

MemberMember
(@hockeyfan99)

Posted : 04/10/2014 2:51 am

The way I word this I don't want to sound disrespectful but I want this to be sort of tough love. So excuse me if I am come off as rude.....but giving up won't do anything and whining won't either. The fact of the matter is a lot of people get acne and you have it. Nothing you say,wish or do will change that. You should never be ashamed of going out to talk to people. My friend was one of the most popular people in High School and he had acne, he gets girls.

You have to live and laugh. You grow up and die. Moments before you pass away you want to be able to say that I have lived with no regrets and you don't want to especially because of acne. I have lived with regrets but I am still young and I can still make up for it and acne will never stop me like it did before. It's not like any of us asked for acne. Use it to your strength to determine who is important in your life. Adapt to it. Someone who gets things easy won't appreciate it but someone who has to work hard will and will be more successful.

You may think what I say is stupid and you may disagree but like I said don't be ashamed. Your telling the people who have acne that it will win but it won't. You write your fate, with acne or without. My professor still has acne and the guy is a genius, wealthy (drives a super sick Porsche), has friends.

Sorry this is a rant and you might not read it but I honestly believe if you go in with negativity all the time you will not come out with anything in life.

Stick to it, see another derm or keep eating healthy. Don't give up

Goodluck

MemberMember
(@anthonykell)

Posted : 04/10/2014 3:41 am

Hello,

Please don't give up. I completely understand what you're going through as I once went through something similar. I tried countless products, techniques, methods, diets, you name it. However, you must keep strong.

One thing I truly believe that is overlooked as a serious cause for acne being prolonged is the stress and strain is causes: This makes acne worse and in turn that makes acne sufferers more stressed and the cycle begins. This must be something to consider in my view.

You must stop this downward spiral of getting stressed and depressed, and your acne suffering more because of it. You are also depriving yourself of the food you love, which is causing more stress.

I want you to try this: Forget about the latest acne products. Buy a simple moisturizer and a 'regular' facewash. Wash your face morning and night and apply the moisturizer after. That's it. If you get very sweaty during the day (from exercise or the like) rinse your face and apply a light moisturizer. Revert back to a normal, balanced diet.

Try this for one month and see what happens. But please try to stick with it. Have a newer, more positive outlook. Make yourself as stress-free as possible.

This natural technique is what helped me to overcome acne.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me.

Anthony.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 04/10/2014 3:43 am

ok, now what?

i'm curious if you can put the acne problem on the shoulders of society (medical system, lack of research, polution, food industry, etc) where it really belongs, and live your life with what you are resposible for (your only responsibility is to ask doctors for help. if you're not a derm you're not defeated. those derms are.)

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 04/10/2014 4:35 pm

Please try to feel better! All the advice above is excellent and you should try to follow as much of it as possible. First, please try not to be so stressed. if you are very discouraged and down, the stress affects you physically and probably causes more acne. It becomes an endless cycle that you can never break free of. Try to tell yourself that the negativity will make nothing better and try not to dwell on your skin. Try as much as possible to not let it affect you. You said you have tried so much but have you tried the regimen? Or for more severe acne, possibly Accutane? Either of those may put you on the road to better things. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/10/2014 5:45 pm

I know the feeling.

You have a couple options. It depends partially on the type of acne you have. Inflammatory acne warrants more #1. Non-inflammatory acne warrants more #2.

1 - Food sensitivity tests for gut permeability, stool tests for dysbiosis, and vitamin status. Fix the things that are wrong.

2 - Oral isotretinoin. This is basically a megadose of a vitamin A derivative. If you already have vitamin imbalances, you could experience some bad and perhaps permanent side effects; vitamins D, E, and C are important to have in abundance. You might want to supplement with 2000iu D, 800mg E (which I believe is 1200iu?), and 1-2g C during the treatment. 20g/d isotretinoin will probably be a safe and effective dose; I would be wary of anything higher.

MemberMember
(@liferuinedbyacne)

Posted : 04/11/2014 10:32 am

Thank you all so much for your replies. I was at a real low point when I wrote this and am feeling a little better now. It's hard to stay optimistic sometimes after so many defeats. But it's very encouraging to know that there is such a supportive community here and that people are really looking out for each other. I know I'm not alone in this and just knowing that helps. Thank you for all your advice and suggestions; I will give them all a try!

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 04/13/2014 2:55 am

Accutane should be powerful enough to stop your acne. It sounds like you should be under the care of a physician, but there are low cost alternatives to obtaining Isotretinoin at www.accutane-bitcoin.com.

Insurance pays for isotretinoin. Judging by this post and several other you've made, it seems like you're advertising. You should probably stop.

MemberMember
(@hound)

Posted : 04/13/2014 4:23 am

Keep at it dont give up.

If I may give some advice, once you select an approach to fighting acne, stick with that regimen religiously.

From personal experience, jumping to different products constantly made my skin worse than it would have been. And the very act of sticking to one thing was the biggest cure.

Before the regimen, I had zero social life. I always avoided looking straight at peoples faces when talking, I got irritated when people came close to me, and at one point, my colleagues even asked me if I have been heavily stressed out lately because of my skin (and that itself caused even more stress!)

Coming to acne.org made me realize that I really am not the only one suffering this much, and the best option is to fight on, because what have I got to gain from giving up and being miserable? Whether it be the regimen or proactiv or any other method, the first few weeks or even months may show no immediate results or even worse results, but this is the peak of the hill, if you can climb past this point, you will have become a strong person, you can be confident in not only acne, but other parts of your life.

MemberMember
(@ambersue)

Posted : 04/13/2014 11:04 pm

I can so relate to how you feel...the past week I have cried and cried over my acne. No one knows the pain until your the one going thru it. I don't want to be seen by anyone. I'm doing the regimen, have you tried it yet? Pray to God to heal you. Hope you find relief!

MemberMember
(@tulane)

Posted : 04/14/2014 4:05 pm

I do not know if this will help you, but I can only tell you what worked for both of my 19 year old daughters. They both had terrible acne and had been to the dermatologist numerous times for numerous treatments, but nothing worked for them. After researching how diet can affect acne, they found a site called Totally Raw Christina. They were very impressed with how beautiful her skin and eyes were, and started following a vegan diet.

Was it difficult? At first yes,.....but as their breakouts stopped and their skin started to heal, it was very worth it! So, here is what they do: They drink lots of water with fresh lemon squeezed in it! They are rarely without a bottle of water in their hand! They eat NO meat or dairy products. That means no butter, milk, yogurt, or cheese, or ice cream! They eat NO gluten products either, no bread or bagels or croissants or cake or cookies!

So, what do they eat? Breakfast is a smoothie with frozen organic berries, frozen bananas, mangoes, and maybe dates or a handful of fresh carrots or spinach or kale. Lunch and dinner are big salads with tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado, etc. They are not following the raw vegan diet........they will stir fry with olive oil.......but.......the change in their skin has been nothing short of miraculous! My refrigerator and kitchen countertops look like a farmers market! BUT,.....it is working! And this dramatic change, that they see clearly every time they look in a mirror, makes it easy for them to continue. Like I say, all I can tell you is what worked for both my daughters.....and it certainly is worth a try for beautiful, clear skin.

MemberMember
(@graciemeow)

Posted : 04/14/2014 4:32 pm

sometimes we reach a real real low point where we really don't want to go on. I tried to accept acne as a part of me for years at the age of 17-19 before enough was enough. I'm now 23 and still fight a battle but i won't give up! you shouldn't either! if you ever feel low it is good to come on this site and vent and people are who understand will be here for you :) I hope you feel better and find something that works, please don't give up! xxx

MemberMember
(@streetwaver)

Posted : 04/14/2014 11:01 pm

Obviously a lot of us here can relate. It's an awful feeling, like you said, but it definitely can - and will - get better. It's only a matter of when, and what you have to do to get there.

I personally wouldn't do anything drastic. It can be tempting, but I'm glad I didn't. I've seen friends turn to drastic measures and end up regretting the hell out of their decisions.

What is your current anti-acne routine? What is your skin like (oily, dry, prone to what type of acne)? We can try to help.

I don't know whether my acne is as bad as yours as not - but I had some absolutely horrendous cystic acne a few months ago. It literally lasted for months. It basically made me look deformed, or at least that's what it felt like. I took off work, didn't go out, and just felt awful. But I examined my routine and what might be contributing to my acne and fixed it practically overnight. Immediately I saw improvements and by the end of a week it was essentially gone.

My point is it can be dramatically improved, and it can surprise you how easily if you finally find the solution you needed all along.

MemberMember
(@doctorbrenda)

Posted : 04/16/2014 12:09 am

Don't give up. It's human nature to be your own harshest critic and to be overly self conscious about our perceived flaws. Most people with acne don't realize that most people without acne don't think of it as a big deal. Like most things, the less it bothers you the less people will notice.

MemberMember
(@killacalii)

Posted : 04/16/2014 8:07 pm

Dont give up im going through what you are right now, I havent talked to some friends since my freshman year of high school I didnt go back to my old high school becuz I would think people won't see me the same again,I am currently a senior in high school and feel that since after my freshman year everything has changed and turned my life upside down