Notifications
Clear all

Could I Have Hormonal Acne? *pics*

MemberMember
(@megs410)

Posted : 04/07/2014 2:58 pm

I am a 20 year old female and I have never really had a problem with acne until a few months ago. Most of the acne is around my chin and my lower cheeks and some of them are quite painful (The one white spot was a pimple that opened so i spot treated it with benzoyl peroxide) Some of them feel so deep under my skin that I don't even think any topical treatment is working. I have been using neutrogena deep clean facial wash and witch hazel for about a month. At first I thought it was getting better, but when my period came around i definitely noticed it got worse. I have a dermatologist appointment on the 23rd...but do you think it could be hormonal? Would birth control or antibiotics help at all? Thanks.

post-388752-0-10227600-1396900470.jpeg

post-388752-0-22714000-1396900472.jpeg

post-388752-0-10227600-1396900470.jpeg

post-388752-0-22714000-1396900472.jpeg

MemberMember
(@yellowturtle)

Posted : 04/08/2014 8:09 pm

Hi,

If it appears around your period, than hey! I have hormonal acne on my forehead/nose area, and if I just slather on that peroxide and those egg whites, it usually goes away with a couple of weeks.

I've heard that birth control does indeed help/get rid of hormonal acne... but I'm not sure I would recomend going on the pill so fast. I've also heard that some brands make it a lot worse, and they can screw up your cycle too, so your skin can get all wacky.

I just treat mine when it comes, and it goes away fast after my period ends.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/09/2014 10:29 am

Most acne in women or in general is due to hormone imbalances. Wether that is estrogen dominance or high testosterone, they both lead to it. If you do research there is a ton of info out that on the acne process starting with hormones, oil production and then other factors. Yasmin, Yaz, Dianette are all well known for helping women with hormonal breakouts. There is also Spironolactone that helps with this. There are other more natural methods that people use as well Saw Palmetto, DIM, etc. I am on Yasmin and Spironolactone 75mg which has helped with my breakouts, the treatment does take some time to balance out about 3-4+ months. It is a commitment though, once you decide to start hormonal treatment. Diet is also a major factor no matter what you read. Milk/Dairy/Whey and Meats that are not organic/grass fed can also affect your hormones. Sugar and caffeine can trigger processes in your body that also affect hormones therefore affecting your acne if you are more prone or sensitive. If you wanted to try working on diet first and natural supplements along with a topical like Retin A or something to help with the skin, that might be a good start if you've never done anything before. Wishing you the best!

I am a 20 year old female and I have never really had a problem with acne until a few months ago. Most of the acne is around my chin and my lower cheeks and some of them are quite painful (The one white spot was a pimple that opened so i spot treated it with benzoyl peroxide) Some of them feel so deep under my skin that I don't even think any topical treatment is working. I have been using neutrogena deep clean facial wash and witch hazel for about a month. At first I thought it was getting better, but when my period came around i definitely noticed it got worse. I have a dermatologist appointment on the 23rd...but do you think it could be hormonal? Would birth control or antibiotics help at all? Thanks.