Notifications
Clear all

Diet Change

MemberMember
(@ambersue)

Posted : 04/06/2014 9:08 pm

I've been suffering from bad cystic acne for two years now. I came to a conclusion tonight that I want to try a dairy free diet. I'm willing to try anything. I have a few questions. What other milks can I drink instead of the regular dairy, hormone full cows milk? I'm gonna do some research on the list of foods I can and can't eat, but I'd like some of y'all's input as well. What are some foods good in calcium since I'll be cutting out all dairy? Also, how long should I give this dairy free diet before seeing change? I love the goody sugary food, but I'm also gonna cut back on it. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited to start this, I want a healing!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 04/06/2014 9:31 pm

Rice milk is ok as long as it's not loaded with sugar. Check the diet forum for tips.

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 04/06/2014 10:59 pm

I would recommend almond milk, unsweetened in either the regular or vanilla flavor. Blue Diamond and Silk are the two most readily available brands. I think almond milk may have more calcium than cows milk, but you can also try calcium fortified orange juice or just add calcium chews as a supplement.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/08/2014 8:06 pm

Greens are high in calcium. And sardines with the bones. It's highly unlikely that you'll be deficient. The planet is filled with people that do not consume dairy yet have strong bones & teeth. You are worried about the wrong thing. What you need is vitamin d, k2, magnesium and other minerals and to not do things that cause your body to misuse calcium. Like drink soft drinks.

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 04/13/2014 7:34 am

Hello chinese cabbage is high in calcium, oranges have about 80mg of calcium as well. More info on livestrong. In the morning you can have hemp/ rice/coconut mik they have calcium phosphate added in them.

You can add cocoa powder into the mlk to increase antioxidant activity and magnesium. Add phytoestrogens into your diet which hep eliminate bad oestrogens- apples, chickpeas, sesame seeds. Boiling brown rice and adding coconut milk gives you a low gi dessert known as payasam - find the recipie somwhere on google . Dont buy coconut mik in packet form use the refrigerated version. Pumpkin seeds, salmon, chicken - good sources of zinc

Herbal teas are good - spearmint, chammonile- these two effect hormones- spearmint reduce testosterone and chammonile removes bad oestrogens, rooibos, green tea, get gorgeous- look at the review and you can make your own cheaper version

Follow a low gi diet to reduce insulin spikes also go low car- brown rice is low gi and low carb- 23g of carb per 100g . Also have quinoa/ or legumes for breakfast.

Add ant inflammatory spices- garlic,tumeric, cayenne pepper etc

Get your vitamin c - one yellow bell pepper, zinc - pumpkin seeds, vitamin d3 from sunlight, magnesium etc

Hormone balancing herbs- shivarathri, vitex - is not recommended for under 18s there are lots you can read online and red clover which is in the get gorgeous thing.

Read the alternavista good things for acne

My cystic acne was caused by fried food and citrus- one tangerine woud give me two cysts.

I think you look at food intoerances for cystic acne

MemberMember
(@ambersue)

Posted : 04/14/2014 8:12 pm

It's been a week since I started the non dairy diet. Well this morning I wasn't thinking and ate a peice of toast with my oats. The bread I used had milk in it :( does this mean I have to restart the whole process to see if dairy is what's causing my acne?

MemberMember
(@lauraaa)

Posted : 04/18/2014 6:44 pm

It's been a week since I started the non dairy diet. Well this morning I wasn't thinking and ate a peice of toast with my oats. The bread I used had milk in it does this mean I have to restart the whole process to see if dairy is what's causing my acne?

I doubt it, don't beat yourself up about it. It was only a little bit, not a tub of yoghurt and I bet won't make any difference. Just carry on with the dairy free diet :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/19/2014 7:24 am

It'll happen. If you're trying to find a link though, you may have to be more strict. Read labels before you even buy food as dairy can be sneaked in in lots of ways. Up your veggie intake (1 way i do this is by blending my greens into a morning green smoothie) and try to limit the amount of carbs you eat in any given meal as it may be playing havoc with your insulin level. Keep in mind that you need to be strict for at least 3-4 months just to give it a fair shot.

FYI, as many have stated, dairy is not that great for your body regardless so it may be worth chucking it anyway even if it doesn't do a thing for your acne. I second Unsweetened Almond milk. You can even make your own.

Good Luck hun and keep your head up

MemberMember
(@karna)

Posted : 04/21/2014 12:57 am

AmberSue, So how did it go with your experiment? Can you see a difference without dairy?