Notifications
Clear all

Best Way To Apply Foundation.

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 04/06/2014 2:33 pm

This is a silly question,

I know there are different ways to apply foundation and I was wondering what method is best for acne prone skin? Or does it matter?

I know that you can apply your foundation with your hands, a makeup brush, or a cosmetic sponge.Is one of them less irritating for your skin?

which is cleanest? Or it doesn't matter so long as you clean your tool right?

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/06/2014 11:04 pm

That's an interesting question, I'd like to know too!

I also wonder which application offers the best coverage, finish, etc.

:)

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 04/06/2014 11:12 pm

Yes, That would be good to know too! :D

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2014 9:12 am

Your just washed hands would be cleanest.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/07/2014 9:21 am

i just use my hands after i have washed them really well. i find if i use a sponge that 1. it absorbs most of the product and 2. the makeup goes on a lot lighter than how i want it. my hands do the best job of blending it. sometimes if i want a much lighter look then i mix my foundation with my moisturizer and apply it that way.

MemberMember
(@cesca)

Posted : 04/10/2014 12:05 pm

I have only ever used brushes. I think I experimented once with a sponge but just couldn't get the hang of it. The epiphany moment came when someone introduced me to stippling brushes- in my opinion they give much better coverage than normal foundation brushes, although they might not be great if your skin is a bit dry and flaky from any treatments you're using.

As long as you wash your brushes everytime after you use them and maybe invest in a bottle of make-up brush cleaner I don't think they are a problem.

MemberMember
(@sinderella)

Posted : 04/11/2014 11:06 am

I've always used freshly washed hands. For some odd reason, makeup brushes (even new ones) irritate my skin and I get really itchy, ususally breaking out later. I didn't really like the look they left anyway.. it seemed to me like I could see it on my skin more. I like the blending ability of my fingers better. And if you've just washed your hands, you know they're clean.. you don't have to worry about the last time you cleaned your brushes or washed your sponge. That takes too much thought in the morning :P.

I get dry flakes from acne products, so when I do foundation I like to mix it with moisturizer. I just mix the two in my palm and apply with fingertips. The more moisturizer you add, the thinner and more natural it looks. The heat from your fingers helps a ton with blending. If you want more coverage, brushes would probably be best. They don't absorb as much product as sponges do. So much product gets wasted with sponges! I did read a tip a while back that if you wet your sponge before using it to apply makeup it absorbs less. I never tried it, though. I imagine that would interfere with the coverage. Anyway, as long as you clean your brushes well and wash/replace your sponges frequently then you should be ok.

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 04/11/2014 12:56 pm

Hmm thank you! Clean hands seems to be the winner here haha. And agreed, I think sponges wast allot of product!

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 04/30/2014 6:38 am

The way you apply foundation it's really a personal preference, Every makeup tool, including your fingers, has it's pros and cons:

Fingers are probably the easiest way. the warmth of the fingers help melt the product and blend it with your skin. It gives a natural look and it's a free makeup tool! But it's also messy, and you can't apply a thin layer of foundation using only your fingers. Also, it can spread oils on your face, causing breakouts (if you have acne prone skin).

Brushes: it depends the kind of brush you choose. They come in different shapes and forms. I personally prefer a flat top kabuki, or the expert face brush by real techniques. It gives a flawless finish, it blends the foundation really well, and gives more coverage. You have to clean them after each use, and wash them every week to avoid skin problems and bacterial spreading. May not be suitable for people with very dry, sensitive, flakey skin, as it sort of exfoliates the skin while you're applying foundation.

Sponge: there are some kinds of sponge. I prefer the ones like beauty blender, you can now get something similar for a lot cheaper. You have to wet it, and squeeze, and use it damp to apply foundation. It's very easy, and fool proof. It blends the foundation so well... it's amazing. The coverage is good, but looks natural and very even. It absorbs more product than a brush, but for me it's worth it. I'm on accutane, so this is the makeup tool of my choice, because it gives a beautiful finish, with the coverage that i need, looks more natural, and i don't have to worry that much about flakes.. No streaks or uneven patches.The application is very gentle, because you just have to press the sponge to blend the product in your skin. The downside to it, is that you have to wash it every one or two uses, and let air dry (don't store it, as it can get mold).

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 04/30/2014 9:18 am

The way you apply foundation it's really a personal preference, Every makeup tool, including your fingers, has it's pros and cons:

Fingers are probably the easiest way. the warmth of the fingers help melt the product and blend it with your skin. It gives a natural look and it's a free makeup tool! But it's also messy, and you can't apply a thin layer of foundation using only your fingers. Also, it can spread oils on your face, causing breakouts (if you have acne prone skin).

Brushes: it depends the kind of brush you choose. They come in different shapes and forms. I personally prefer a flat top kabuki, or the expert face brush by real techniques. It gives a flawless finish, it blends the foundation really well, and gives more coverage. You have to clean them after each use, and wash them every week to avoid skin problems and bacterial spreading. May not be suitable for people with very dry, sensitive, flakey skin, as it sort of exfoliates the skin while you're applying foundation.

Sponge: there are some kinds of sponge. I prefer the ones like beauty blender, you can now get something similar for a lot cheaper. You have to wet it, and squeeze, and use it damp to apply foundation. It's very easy, and fool proof. It blends the foundation so well... it's amazing. The coverage is good, but looks natural and very even. It absorbs more product than a brush, but for me it's worth it. I'm on accutane, so this is the makeup tool of my choice, because it gives a beautiful finish, with the coverage that i need, looks more natural, and i don't have to worry that much about flakes.. No streaks or uneven patches.The application is very gentle, because you just have to press the sponge to blend the product in your skin. The downside to it, is that you have to wash it every one or two uses, and let air dry (don't store it, as it can get mold).

Oh Thanks! I have been using brushes and haven't really experimented with sponges before. I also didn't think about getting the sponge wet when applying the foundation. I might test this and see if it works for me! :)

MemberMember
(@aleenymo)

Posted : 05/02/2014 2:14 am

In my opinion sponges give the most coverage, followed by hand, then brush. The sponge is great for oily skin because it will absorb most of the moisture. It does a better job at concealing pores (as compared to the hand and brush).

MemberMember
(@user384762)

Posted : 05/02/2014 9:14 am

In my opinion sponges give the most coverage, followed by hand, then brush. The sponge is great for oily skin because it will absorb most of the moisture. It does a better job at concealing pores (as compared to the hand and brush).

Thanks! ^_^